Thread: metro app

Star Lounger
    Thanks

metro app

I keep reading metro app, what is it?

Thanks
    Click on the "Store" tile on the Start Screen. At this point, they aren't very extensive, but they do run in the Start Screen, rather than porting you to the Desktop.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't see how I can close an app that I started from the start screen. I occupies the whole screen and all I can do is hit the windows button. It appears that the app stays open, as per alt-tab.

Thanks
    Grab the top of the app and pull it to the bottom of the screen. This is one method.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by VikAZ View Post
    I don't see how I can close an app that I started from the start screen. I occupies the whole screen and all I can do is hit the windows button. It appears that the app stays open, as per alt-tab.

To close an open app on the Start Screen, if you're using a mouse, slide it to the top left corner, and an thumbnail of all open apps will appear. slide the pointer to the app you want to close, and right-click. A "Close" box will pop up; left-click "Close", and that's it.

If you're using a touch screen, it's probably something similar in the top left corner, but I wouldn't know which gestures you should employ.

Addendum:

I just discovered this (and several people have probably already covered it, but I haven't read it if so). If you have an open app tucking itself into the top left corner, and left-click on it, it appears to slide back into place on the Start Screen. Many apps on the start screen have live content. The app I had up there was News.

After left-clicking on it and having it return to its previous position on the Start Screen, I slid my mouse down to the bottom left corner to go back to the Desktop (which I've been doing since Friday) but the desktop wasn't there - the News app was there.

So I right-clicked on the News app, and a menu popped up. It consists of

Programs and Features
    Mobility Center
    Power Options
    Event Viewer
    System
    Device Manager
    Disk Management
    Computer Management
    Command Prompt
    Command Prompt (Admin)
    ----------------------------
    Task Manager
    Control Panel
    File Explorer
    Search
    Run
    ----------------------------
    Desktop

Interesting...
    Last edited by bbearren; 2012-11-01 at 19:08. Reason: update
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    These both work. This shows that there is always more than one way to accomplish anything on Win 8.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, should be one more though, plenty of real estate for the hand and a red X.