New Lounger
    Thanks

upgrade to a virtual drive possible?

I don't want to use Win8 as my main system but would like to keep up to date with a working copy. Up to now I have been using the beta in a virtual drive.
    Does anyone know whether I could download and install the cheap upgrade into
    a) the existing Win8 virtual drive OR
    b) an XP virtual drive I could create for the purpose. I know XP is an acceptable edition. It is whether it can be done virtually.

If the answer is yes to either a or b could I then burn a dvd from the virtual drive and make either an iso or a restore disk [on the assumtion that I have set up the virtual drive to burn a disk]

And finally, does anyone know what the specifics of what will happen to my beta virtual copy when the temporary period expires? I think that is in January.
    thanks in advance
    Glenn
    Last edited by glenn questions; 2012-11-01 at 20:17. Reason: add a word

Thanks
    I believe you will need the Full Install, OEM version to install to a VM. I do not believe the Upgrade version will work.

Once the beta expires I believe it stops working and starts repeatedly asking your to buy a license to the real thing. Not positive of this.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Ted & 'NL',

I, really, can't see why one could not go RP > Win8 via Upgrade, even if a VM. Certainly, worth trying before anything more involved. Can do it if dual-boot, 7 & RP. I'd, @ least, try it on the VM; no harm, no foul.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I see no reason why the upgrade to a pre-existing fully licenced OS inside the Virtual Machine will not work.

As far as the pre-existing OS is concerned, it implements a hardware abstraction layer in the same way as a physical platform and can generate a UUID. The specifics of taking an image backup of the VM may differ depending on the virtualisation platform in use. Indeed, the host may well give you options for that outside of the VM.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Banned Member
    Thanks
    That's 2 votes in favour based on the same rational

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg

Thanks
    There is some contradictory information on this subject:

Can I legally install Windows 8 in a virtual machine?
    Yes. You can install any version of Windows 8 in a virtual machine, using virtualization software on any platform. (If the VM is running a properly licensed copy of a recent Windows version, you can use the upgrade edition of Windows 8; in most circumstances, the PUL System Builder edition is the correct choice.)
    Note that you cannot share licenses between the host PC and a virtual instance. The following text appears in section 1(f):
    If you use virtualization software, including Client Hyper-V, to create one or more virtual computers on a single computer hardware system, each virtual computer, and the physical computer, is considered a separate computer for purposes of this agreement. This license allows you to install only one copy of the software for use on one computer, whether that computer is physical or virtual. If you want to use the software on more than one virtual computer, you must obtain separate copies of the software and a separate license for each copy.
    Soucre: ZDNet How the new Windows 8 license affects you

In one statement they say you can use the Upgrade version, then say the system builder version is the right choice in most cases. You can see why there is mis-information floating around. A one point I read that the full system builder version is necessary, then I read this. I guess who knows, try it and see what happens.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    MS were never good a plain English. I think for clarity, if you add the word "but" after the semi-colon, things make much more sense:

Can I legally install Windows 8 in a virtual machine?

Yes. You can install any version of Windows 8 in a virtual machine, using virtualization software on any platform. If the VM is running a properly licensed copy of a recent Windows version, you can use the upgrade edition of Windows 8; but in most circumstances, the PUL System Builder edition is the correct choice.
    I think the distinction is that for a clean install of a virgin OS inside the VM, where no previous OS existed, a PUL System Builder licence is needed; however, where the VM already contains a valid qualifying OS, the upgrade licence is allowed.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Thanks
    That does seem to make more sense. There is so much confusing info depending on what source you read.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all who replied. Ironically, while I was trying out a new virtualization program so that I could boot into Win8 at start up and not run it while in Win 7 [which worked nicely when I tried it with Linux Mint and my existing Win7, I seem to have installed the Preview Version of Win8 outside of the Virtual Drive] I will be now running Win8 until the middle of January it seems when I will have to decide which way to go. The interesting question at that point is whether the legitimate Win8 installation will recognize the Window.old folder and realize that there has been an existing system. Otherwise, there will be a day of slog while I restore 7 in order to wipe it out again. In theory I can save all Win8 settings and vacuum them in if I decide to go Win8.
    thanks again
    Glenn

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Glenn,
    Run the Win 8 upgrade adviser from your preview version and I believe you will see if it recognizes it as legitimate.

Rich

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Glenn,

Yes, you can do the Upgrade from or w/ the RP. Don't need to revert back to 7.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    One and only upgrade to a VM, downloaded to real system, home-brewed the ISO from the ESD directory, loaded the ISO as a networked location in the DVD/CD player source VM settings in VMWare Player and then started the setup executable via the virtual CD/DVD drive in the Win 7 VM; did one more thing to really push my luck but which shall not be mentioned, bottom line; $42.50 upgrade to VM works, no problemo.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    'FUN',

Thanks for confirming that this can be done, as was suggested.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg

New Lounger
    Thanks

upgrade advisor seems to suggest a "yes" to upgrade over consumer preview

Thanks Rich- the MS upgrade worksite says
    It provides the option to buy, download, and install Windows 8. If your PC is ready to go, Upgrade Assistant provides a recommendation on which edition to buy, and walks you through the steps to upgrade.
    I ran the upgrade assistant and it did offer to let me buy the $40 download. Haven't done it yet but it seems to option is open.
    thanks
    Glenn