New Lounger
    Thanks

Left Arrow Key Not Working

The left arrow key on my Dell XPS 15z laptop has stopped working. The key, however, does work when I use it for Fn+Home. The other arrow keys work. Is this something other than a hardware issue?

Thanks
    How old? This does sound like a H/W failure. Any chance something was spilled or fell into this area? You could try using compressed air and blowing out the area. I would also try to clean inside the PC. Blow into the air vents on one side while using a vacuum close to the opposite side.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    You don't have num lock turned on by any chance? Do you have a USB keyboard you could plug in to test with? That would definitely narrow it down to either a hardware or a software issue.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Being a laptop, there isn't a whole lot that I can do with the keyboard. The laptop is not quite one-year old. The key works when I use it with Fn+left arrow to take me to the top of the browser page. It just doesn't move the cursor to the left when I press it.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If the laptop is less than a year old contact Dell for a repair (just don't mention spilling anything on it as that would not be covered although I have found Dell are quite good at their service).
    I had same problem with my old Philips Freevent laptop after my sister had spilt just a tiny bit of coke two keys would not work again.
    Luckily I managed to find someone who sold keyboards for this model and replaced it now working fine. It is 90% certain to be a hardware problem. (even if it works with the FN key as this may use a different route on the circuit when using multi key inputs)
    Or as another poster suggested make sure number lock is not on (although this should not stop the arrow key but worth a look).
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2012-11-03 at 06:17.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, the mystery has been solved. My laptop is running Windows 8. I installed a start menu replacement app, iobit's startmenu8. Research discovered that a bug in it caused the Left Arrow key to not move the cursor to the left. Who woulda thunk! I uninstalled startmenu8 and the Left Arrow key worked properly.

Thanks
    Go with Classic Shell. It is working perfect. The latest version 3.6.2 has another category on the Start Menu for Win 8 Style apps.

Classic Shell 3.6.2.jpg

Glad you found your problem.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy