Thanks

Wink Windows 8 Pro "Dirty" Upgrade over Existing Windows 7 System

For those who do not want the hassle of re-installing all their Win 7 programs after changing over to Windows 8 Pro, I can report that I have installed Windows 8 Pro (64-bit) over my existing Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) system. (After making a complete backup image of the Win 7 System using Acronis TI 2013, just in case!) So far, I have found my new Win 8 setup works just fine and, in particular, my desktop looks and functions exactly as it did under Win 7 (except, of course for the "missing" Start Orb). Another advantage (for those who use it), Windows Media Player was "retained" from the Win 7 installation and has been incorporated, fully functional, in the Win 8 Pro installation. My only task after this upgrade was to remove the Windows.old file. So far, so good!
    (My Setup: Custom built: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 10 Pro (64 bit) - (UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 980 4GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2015 Premium, NIS 2016, VMWare Workstation12 Pro, etc). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Thanks
    When you end up with a windows.old folder you actually did a Custom (Clean) install. It just did not format the partition during the installation.

Media Player is included in all versions of Win 8. Media Center is the app that has to be added in Win 8 Pro (n/a in Win 8 standard) You will have to add in Media Center in to use it's DVD playback features or the TV features. Media Player does not include DVD playback any more.

Glad your system works well. This just adds credence to my opinion that Clean installs seem to create less problems than Upgrade installs.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Actually Ted, I most definitely did NOT do a clean install. All my originally installed programs were carried over into the new installation. I have checked the backup I made before deleting it and see that the Windows.old file was, in fact, left over from the original Windows 7 installation(!!!) Thanks for correcting my error regarding Media player, I got it confused with Media Centre. However, I confirm that my Media Player DOES include DVD playback in my setup, since it carried over from the Windows 7 installation. Have a great day.
    Last edited by petesmst; 2012-11-02 at 07:15. Reason: Corrected a typo
    (My Setup: Custom built: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 10 Pro (64 bit) - (UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 980 4GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2015 Premium, NIS 2016, VMWare Workstation12 Pro, etc). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Thanks
    OK, that is new info. The windows.old was never removed from the Win 7 installation. You must have clean installed Win 7 when you installed it.

It's good to know about Media Center from Win 7 working in Win 8. This is something I had not heard of before this.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    It appears the only way to do a true clean install in Windows 8 is to select the advanced options while booting with the Windows 8 DVD or USB.
    At some point prior to install you will be faced with the familiar Windows 7 option of formatting a hard drive.

I wonder how this is going to play out as far as repair goes, it certainly looks like one could do a repair install and keep all your settings
    in place in the event one is confronted with an unbootable OS.
    If this were true, one could do a repair install from the Windows 8 DVD/USB while booting with it. [??]
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    I'm getting a headache!

Perhaps this is how Refresh, Reset works???
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    I pooched Windows 8 on my laptop (I'm good at that, poking around in the innards and such) and tried an "in place upgrade", running Setup from within Windows. It saved part of my original setup, but not the customizations. It also didn't save Office 2010, or any of the other apps I had installed. The options I was offered in setup were "Keep personal settings" or "Keep nothing". I used "Keep personal settings". Interestingly, although it didn't keep Office 2010, it kept the updates for it.

When I get my basic setup ready, I'm going to make a drive image this time, and start really digging...
    Last edited by bbearren; 2012-11-02 at 23:39. Reason: my CRS fog lifted for a spell; I remembered something.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    @bbearren: That is really strange. My "in place upgrade" to Win 8 Pro (64-bit) kept everything except the two gadgets I had on my Win 7 desktop. All other settings remained exactly as before: All icons still in place on desktop, screen saver and settings (including power settings); auto-hide task bar, shortcuts pinned to task bar, etc, etc. All programs were retained with their settings (MS Office Professional 2010, Norton IS 2013, and as mentioned above, even Win Media Player, etc, etc).

Thanks
    Peter, I am glad things worked well for you. Win 8 is much better at Upgrade Installs than previous versions. Unfortunately, when it goes bad, it can create intermittent or hard to T/S problems which often result in a full Custom Install.

Others have used the Easy Transfer app to transfer their settings to a HD, performed a Custom Install, then transferred these settings back. This still involves installing all apps again, but also gives a very pristine installation. So, for those that do have problems with their Upgrade installation, consider this route.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    @medico: Ted, agreed, I deliberately did the "in place upgrade" in order to see how well it works and how stable it is/will be (and to help those who really do not want the hassle of re-installing all their programs). If it all goes pear-shaped, I will be able to fall back on my original Win 7 system image or "clean install" Win 8 from scratch (after a fresh document and file backup) and then recover my data into the freshly re-installed programs. I am hoping/trusting that this will not be necessary...As I said above, so far, so good(!!)

Thanks
    You just hit on another important step that many forget during their installations.

Always create a full Image of whatever your original OS is BEFORE starting the Win 8 installation process!

If you don't, there is a chance you will get burned, and that is a very time consuming lesson.

Edit: I like to create new Images when something changes in my OS so that things are kept up to date, just as bbearren mentions below. At the least I create a new Image once per month right after patch Tuesday.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-11-03 at 10:08.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by petesmst View Post
    @bbearren: That is really strange.

Actually, I was expecting it. My Windows 7 installation was not a standard installation; it was on three separate partitions. OS on a partition by itself, Program Files on a partition, and Users and ProgramData on still another partition. I was curious to see if the installation routine would follow my Junction Points. It didn't.

My next foray will be to slice and dice Windows 8 like I did Windows 7, to see what the challenges are there.

And I use drive images regularly. I did a full image of Windows 7 before I started the Windows 8 Pro upgrade. I'll be making images of that along the way when I start my carving and stitching.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2012-11-03 at 09:51. Reason: clarity
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows