New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2010 hourglass

We recently moved to a cloud based Exchange server. Several users have "freezes" when using Outlook, apparently at random. I have noticed that the Outlook icon in the tray has a little hourglass on it, and it says it is contacting server. During this time, Outlook is totally unresponsive. Task Manager shows Outlook is "crusing" at 3-5% utilization and network use is pretty low - nothing that would explain several minutes with no response. Users are on XP Pro stations with adequate RAM (2GB+) and Office 2010. We are also using Goldmine, which has a add-in for Outlook, but disabling it does not seem to help solve the problem.

Any help appreciated.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Welcome to the Lounge!!

Is Exchange hosted by Microsoft or another provider?
    Are the users all on the same subnet?
    Do they have other networking issues?
    Does the problem eventually go away?
    Is it right after the PC is booted?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Exchange is hosted by Thrive, not Micro$oft (however, I have seen posts for similar problems with Office365.)
    All users are on the same subnet, no other network issues, for internet access, it has been very reliable.
    I think the freeze will eventually go away if the user has the patience to wait it out, but some will reboot to get back to work. Even if they wait out the freeze, the problem will occur again later the same day.
    This is not related to boot - one person leaves PC on for a week at a time, another 2 shut down every night.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Have you tried creating a new Outlook profile?

Have you tried running with add-ins disabled?

Do you have SP1 installed? All other updates too?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The PCs in question are all XP with SP3 and subsequent patches. Office 2010 has SP1 installed.

I have disabled all non-essential add-ins (Social Connector, Onenote, etc). Next week I will probably try having 2 people run /safe mode to see if that helps. I will also try recreating profile, but since this is happening on 4 PCs, I do not think that will help.

I have about 8 users running Win7 that are NOT having this problem. It seems like Outlook 2010 does not do folder sync on XP the same way Win7 does. Has anyone heard of limitations like that?