Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My new wireless printer isn't!

I need some confirmation that my single Win7 pc, hardwired to my router, will never be able to print to my new wireless laser printer unless they are physically connected with a USB cable. Banging my head on the wall right now trying to get the two to speak to each other.

I am able to print to the wireless printer from my lap top from anywhere in the house but not from the desktop. Go figure!

Doesn't make sense for me. Was hoping the wireless printer would help eliminateadding to the spaghetti tangle that I already have.
    Thanx for any comments on this.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    My wireless printer had to be connected through Ethernet to the router to work with the desktop. Both laptops work fine wirelessly through the router.

We most likely need wireless adapters on the desktop to connect wirelessly.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,050 Posts
    My wireless printer works fine from the wired connected desktop. There is absolutely no need to connect the desktop to the wireless network. If wireless and wired network use the same IP range, everything should work.

Thanks
    BB,

What brand of printer and how did you setup the Laptop?
    With my HP PhotoSmart D-110 I used the touch pad on the front of the printer to connect it to the router. Once that was done any device that could connect to the router (wired or wireless) could use the printer after installing the driver using the Add Printer/Network Printer options.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's a Brother Multifunction colour laser printer. I had just gotten to the point of initial set up when my friend arrived to help. He being very knowledgeable with IT matters. We installed the printer driver onto the laptop from the disc that came with the printer.

Just to be sure you are aware I only have one pc and seldom use the laptop at home.

Thanks
    "Wireless printer" simply means that the printer connects wirelessly to the router. It doesn't mean that any other device needs to connect wirelessly.

Since you are able to print to the wireless printer from your laptop, you know that the printer is connected to the router.

Therefore, if your desktop computer is connected to the router and getting an internet connection, then you should be able to connect to the printer.

Assign the printer an IP address, then search for it from your desktop PC using that IP address when you are going through the printer setup program.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2012-11-02 at 15:50.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Did you install the printer driver on the desktop, as well?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Did you install the printer driver on the desktop, as well?
    Yes. The first time used the disc supplied. When we couldn't wirelessly print. Downloaded the driver from the Brother website.That didn't help.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post

Assign the printer an IP address, then search for it from your desktop PC using that IP address when you are going through the printer setup program.
    Thanx for your suggestion. Now how would I do that and what IP address do you suggest I use?

Thanks
    FYI,

Brother has excellent technical help and it is free. They've helped me a couple of times with my Brother HL-5370DW wireless laser printer.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    If you can print from your laptop, your printer already has an IP address, and it has been assigned by the router. Your router probably has a web interface. You can query the router for the printer's address.

The router is probably http://192.168.1.1 or ...2.1 or ....3.1

Mine is http://192.168.3.1

My printer is http://192.168.3.6
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you everyone. It took the whole weekend to get the MFC-9970CDW to work wirelessly! I do have a question though. I am finding that it takes a very long time for the printer to do anything wirelessly. Is this normally so for wireless devices? Should I rethink wireless and opt for a USB connection for faster operation?

Administrator
    Thanks
    My wireless printer is actually as fast as another one connected through USB. Of course, this can depend on the type of wireless network you have and the location of the computer and / or the printer, causing the wireless signal to be weaker wherever they are located.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bbcirly View Post
    Thanx for your suggestion. Now how would I do that and what IP address do you suggest I use?
    There is a config screen in your router setup program which specifies the range of available IP addresses that can be assigned to the various connected devices (computers, printers, etc.) You want to pick an IP address that is outside of that range, so that your printer has an IP address outside of the available pool of IP addresses. In other words, you are manually assigning a permanent IP address to the printer, rather than the router automatically assigning a temporary IP address to the printer.

Each IP address has four numbers which are separated by dots. The first three numbers of the IP address you select for your printer must match the other IP addresses, but the 4th number must be different.

Once you have selected an IP address for your printer, you will typically go to the printer and enter the IP address at the printer's console screen. Search through the console menu for network configuration, or something like that.

Once you have put the IP address into the printer, you can then run the printer install program on your computer, and search for it using its IP address.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2012-11-06 at 10:39.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbcirly View Post
    Thank you everyone. It took the whole weekend to get the MFC-9970CDW to work wirelessly! I do have a question though. I am finding that it takes a very long time for the printer to do anything wirelessly. Is this normally so for wireless devices? Should I rethink wireless and opt for a USB connection for faster operation?
    My printer is an HP 4500 all-in-one that connects to the router through Ethernet. It has a power saving mode it slips into after a period of inactivity. A print job sent to it when it is in the power saving mode takes a minute or two for the printer to wake up and take the print job from the queue.

When it is awake, there's only a slight delay when it is sent a print job. Does your printer handle every print job at one delay rate? Have you tried sending it two or three print jobs in succession, to see if the delay changes with the second and third print job?
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast