Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win8 install goes to 90% then says it failed and sends me back to Win7

After purchasing Win8 I have tried to install it four times and all attempts failed. There is no information given as to why the install failed, it just sends me back to Win7. After two tries, I downloaded the ISO and burned it. Did I forfit the option of an install without losing my Win7 settings and applications? Have I unintentionally put myself into a position that I am forced to do a clean install? I can't find a way to contack Microsoft for help without agreeing to pay them for it. The help files that I have found seem to only discuss a clean install. Do I have any options?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Try this and follow the links to get support for Windows 8: http://support.microsoft.com/get-support

Y
    our purchase gets you 90 day free tech support, so do not pay for support in any circumstance.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Bob W (2012-11-02)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ruirib - Thank you. I will contact them in the morning.

Administrator
    Thanks
    You're welcome. Please let us know how it goes.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    May I offer a suggestion.

First off, I had Windows 7 Professional. I read somewhere where you need to do a clean install with this version, but can’t remember where I saw that.

I too had to reinstall 3 times before successful.

First 2 attempts were a upgrade option keeping all settings and applications and both times received two different errors, but neither telling me what went wrong or an error number, nothing.

On the third attempt, I remembered you needing to do a clean install, so what I did was use Windows 7 Easy Transfer program to at least keep all my settings and files to an external hard drive and then open Windows 8 Easy Transfer once installed. Then I opted to burn the ISO to a disc and install using the clean option. That’s what worked for me.

Good luck.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I called MS help this morning. You won't believe this, but I was connected to the same MS guy for 5 hours and 40 minutes. The result was zero progress. He agreed to escalate the problem and said someone would call me tomorrow. I give him credit for trying, but I think that after a few hours, he should have realized that he was lost. I am really exhausted from the long session. Maybe the next guy will do better.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Big effort, there. I hope the next one can get it sorted.

Thanks
    Bob, As mentioned above, the Clean Install may be your only viable option. Some setups just will not Upgrade Install.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Medico - Yes, I may end up having to do a clean install. Given the long session today, it would have probably been less stressful. My concern at the moment is whether even a clean install will work. I hope the guy tomorrow is more competent. The guy today wanted to burn the ISO, so I put a blank DVD in for him. He did a drag and drop of the ISO file to the burner, which naturally resulted in placing a copy of the ISO on the disk. Duh! Right at the top of the Win7 Explorer window there is a Burn option. I think double clicking an ISO also activates a burn.

Thanks
    Right Click and choose Burn Disk Image will work as well. Make a good Image of your present OS, then during the installation, after choosing Custom Install, on the next screen choose Advanced Options, highlight the partition to install to, then click on the Format option. This will format the partition then install Win 8 Pro. Assuming you have a good Image, if for some reason it does not work, you can restore the Image.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Win8 is finally installed and running. MS called today and worked on it for 3 hours and 35 minutes. My total time spent with MS help over the past two days was 9 hours and 15 minutes. Now I am trying to understand some of its strange behavior. So far, it does not like my MS 4000 keyboard (won't use the special buttons, after a reboot) and won't use the button features of my Logitech mouse. The logitech software runs, but the special buttons don't work. Also, strangely I cannot copy a shortcut from the desktop to a folder on the desktop. I suppose I will eventually get used to the new features. I wish they had kept Aero Glass.

At least MS stayed with the problem until it was resolved. They admitted that they didn't have things smoothed out yet. Oh, my applications and settings were preserved (mostly). One valuable app disappeared, so I will have to troubleshoot that.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I am glad that was finally sorted. Hope things improve, from now on.

Thanks
    It still sounds like things are not perfect in your installation. I'm glad it's working.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I got the keyboard working and wrote Logitech to ask if they had a driver or software that would make my mouse work again. If they have it, they have not posted it on their site.

MS called today to ask if Win8 was still working to my satisfaction and asked if they could close the case file. I told them I was happy and to close the file.

Now, I must learn the new features. My first concern is to make an image, but Win8 apparently doesn't use that approach. I will probably try to make images from a couple of third party applications, just to be safe.

Thanks
    I use Acronis TIH 2013, works very well. Much has been discussed about Macrium Reflect, EaseUS ToDo v4 and Ghost 15. I'm satisfied with ATI and have not tried the others.

Making a complete Image, then recreating Images regularly is a great idea. I create new Images at least once per month.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast