Thanks

Windows 8 "Free Apps" rip-Off

Some of the so-called "free" apps offered by Widows 8 are, in fact, not free!! They operate partially and then ask you to subscribe (annually!!) for a fee. For example, Encyclopaedia Britannica is "free" and appears to function fully until you search for a topic; you are then asked to pay a subscription in order to "read further". Some other "free" apps operate similarly.
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Those are a minority, but you have a quick solution: uninstall them. I did that to the only such app I installed. Didn't last long on my laptop.

Thanks
    For the most part the free apps are just that, free. Another that the app is free, but the downloads are not is Netflix. I believe you must have a monthly subscription.

As Rui says, there is an easy way around this, Uninstall!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Uninstall: AGREED!!!!!
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    What about the free ones that really really REALLY STINK!? Video and Photos are examples of two giving off heavy putrefaction odors, they seem much better adapted when the component is purely online (and still free), like Maps is terrific, I know a couple folks who would spend hours and hours in that alone.

Thanks
    I believe all the apps can be uninstalled. I would hesitate to uninstall the Store App however. During the CP/RP days I accidentally uninstalled rather than Unpinned a couple of apps.

There are not yet many great apps. I do enjoy a couple of the free games, but do not use the remainder of the apps much.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, I just had to vent a little , I finally got thumbnails to build in from a networked library location I added, with an app called Photoroom, but it only builds in the thumbnails when one scrolls to their placeholders, like Windows 7 does, but like I said, at least its building them. In all cases it seems like access by apps will be limited now because they rely on Libraries as data sources, and while its true one can create any library out of any set of folders, network locations don't seem to be fully compatible and any XP and any other non-DLNA network locations seem completely incompatible.

We're going to see all sorts of free versions of an app with little "Pro only" banners here and there that require the paid or subscribed version to use fully. Its not a rip-off, its just the way its going to be.

Thanks
    I find most of the apps are cloud based and as a result are slower than the equivalent desktop apps. Microsoft Solitaire and Minesweeper are examples of this. The desktop versions are much quicker. Unfortunately, I believe this is the future Microsoft wants to push us into.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Microsoft is just doing what Apple or Android do. They have "free" apps that you end up paying for. Microsoft just wants its share of the pie.

Joan

Thanks
    Joan, welcome to the Lounge.

If you will look at the apps mentioned, it's not MS charging for their use, it's the vendors. Netflix for example, the app you download from the app store is free, you pay a monthly fee to Netflix to download movies. The monthly fee is paid to Netflix, not MS. MS may perhaps get a fee for hosting the app, but the majority of the monthly fee goes directly to Netflix.

I suspect the Encyclopaedia Britannica fee is the same way. You pay the vendor for the right to use their site. I guess I don't see how you can blame MS about this IMO.

I do not get paid by MS, I have no skin in the game at all. I have done my share of complaining about MS in my time, but in this case I would say blame the vendors not MS.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Microsoft takes 30% or 20% of the fees charged by an app in the Microsoft store. From http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...hh694058.aspx:

The Store Fee is the percentage of Net Receipts that is retained by Microsoft as a fee for making your app available through the Windows Store. That percentage is 30%, unless and until your app takes in total Net Receipts of USD$25,000, after which time the percentage is 20% for that app. Net Receipts are the total amount collected from customers in connection with the download of your app through the Windows Store, minus any (i) sales, use or VAT/GST taxes collected from customers for remittance by Microsoft; (ii) amounts refunded to customers; and (iii) amounts owed to Microsoft under this agreement.

Jerry

Thanks
    Surely this is just shareware under a different guise and can hardly be called a rip-off.

The shareware concept has been running successfully for many years.

Thanks
    OK, so the majority of the use fee goes to the developer. The apps that I have used so far that were developed by MS are indeed free to download and use. It is not up to MS to set usage fee schedules for the apps people download and use, so I still state that we cannot put the blame on MS that developers let you download the app then make you pay for usage. As Browni states, that's shareware from independent developers.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted