Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Windows 8 and Media Center

Take note: If you decide to download and install MS Media Centre in your Win 8 OS, you will be provided with a NEW Product Key that replaces your original "Win-8-without Media-Centre" one. MS views "Windows-8-with- Media-Centre" as a different product to that of "Windows-8-without-Media-Centre" (go figure!!)
    (My Setup: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 8.1 Pro (64 bit); 16GB RAM; SAMSUNG SD840 PRO SSD (6GB/SATA III); Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 760 2GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2014 Premium, NIS 2014, etc). (UEFI-booted). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive)

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Peter, hello.
    That "new" Product key is a dedicated key for that Media Center D/L. it does not replace the W-8 install key. I found out as I had to redo my W-8 install, I had to use the former and then after D/L the MC, I had to use its dedicated key, I should say that as I went to Add Features, it presented me with a dialog where I entered the MC keys. It recognized it as the proper one and then offered the D/L. One had to be "right" when making such a statement. Be good. JP.

Thanks
    @handcuff36: Thanks for that. I based my comment on a statement in the Windows 8 forum. Cheers.
    (My Setup: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 8.1 Pro (64 bit); 16GB RAM; SAMSUNG SD840 PRO SSD (6GB/SATA III); Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 760 2GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2014 Premium, NIS 2014, etc). (UEFI-booted). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It is much, much worse than that and I am in the thick of it.

I made requests for two licences but only received one number, and now the one really good machine (the other is a disaster for a different reason) is giving me the 'Activate Windows Now' flag and telling me that 'This product key is already being used on another PC [as indeed it is]. Try a different key, or buy a new one'. The number they show is for the Media Center but they have, as you have noted, applied it to the entire installation, which they have now pretty well locked down on me.

I guess I will have to phone, but I am not a happy camper in present circumstances.

In case you are wondering about the 'disaster' remark, that computer is a new Win 7 (64-bit, 8 GB) that I upgraded online to 8, and for all practical purposes nothing in Win 8 works except the Desktop with all my previously-installed Win 7 applications, and the newly-installed Media Center. I am going to have to try the newfangled set-it-straight Win 8 procedure, with a fortune in MS and third-party software on the machine.

The 'really good machine' is a 32-bit installation of Win 8 that I put on an originally XP machine with 2 GB of RAM when I got the RTM version, and everything works that can be expected to work with 2 GB, or rather it was working before they shut it down over the licence issue. I wrote about that in one of the threads at the time, and appear to have been just plain lucky.

I guess I'll have to reread all the licencing stuff before I call them.

Thanks
    On the machine that's really messed up, my guess is that something went wrong with the Upgrade. It seems that many of the problems we are reading are related to the Upgrade. Yes, in many instances it works, but in many it just does not work. A Custom Install may be in order.

If you did not burn the ISO to disk, your email receipt for the purchase contains a link near the top that will start the process over. I would recommend the Removable Media Option. This will give you the option to burn a DVD.

I realize that starting over with a custom install requires reinstalling all apps, but IMO it gives a much more pristine installation. I have done 2 such installations so far and both are perfect. Total of 5 hours each, including 3 defrags and Images for each (2 intermediate Images and 1 final Image) I have heard the Reset and Refresh options take longer the Custom Installation. I do not have personal knowledge of this since both my installations were Custom Installs with a partition format during the installation (not ahead of time).

Are you sure about the key you used for the second Media Center installation. I also received 2 Media Center keys at the same time, but made doubly sure I used the proper key for the proper PC. I had one key for one email, the second key under a different email. Worked like a charm. I also believe you will have to call MS support to straighten that one out. I believe you can only get one license per email address.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was unaware that the offer was limited to a single email address (when I, too, have multiple addresses), and that is the sort of thing I wanted to check on before phoning - thank you for the information.

What I think I would much prefer in both cases is an uninstall, as if to a restore point.

The really messed up machine includes the full Adobe Creative Cloud, all of which has to be downloaded for installation, and that means hours (or days) of downloading with my connection, and simply nuking Win 8 to restore Win 7 is preferable. I do have backups, and will have to see exactly what I can do, or ask MS if it can be done. Admittedly, it was an experiment to see if the Adobe stuff would actually run under Windows 8. I do have another 64-bit machine that I successfully installed the RTM on, but couldn't be bothered with it at the time and just restored that to Win 7. I still have a backup of that Win 8, and might revert that yet again, since it was a clean install, and of course has its original registration. That fifteen-dollar deal looks like no deal at all.

On viewing Media Center on the 8 GB machine I am afraid that it might be the straw that breaks the camel's back on my 2 GB minimalist supercomputer, which is sort of the Energizer Bunny of computers, if only the battery weren't dead and there wasn't a screw loose and rolling around inside the case. I joke about it, but it really has had a remarkable working-life, and the Win 8 installation on that was a clean install as well.

Come to think of it, I think I'd better start looking for a restore point for the Media Center installation. Surely Microsoft wouldn't have overlooked a detail like that. No time to waste... (I'll post back if I find one.)

Thanks
    I believe System restore is basically unchanged from Win 7. Finding a restore point should not be a problem.

I know you do not want to hear it, but I really think a Custom install will fix your problems. Also requesting the second media center key from another email should work for that.

Good luck with whatever choice you make. I have found that at times trying to T/S a problem and fix it, if possible, often takes much longer than starting over.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 1,054 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dogberry View Post
    I was unaware that the offer was limited to a single email address (when I, too, have multiple addresses), and that is the sort of thing I wanted to check on before phoning - thank you for the information.

What I think I would much prefer in both cases is an uninstall, as if to a restore point.

The really messed up machine includes the full Adobe Creative Cloud, all of which has to be downloaded for installation, and that means hours (or days) of downloading with my connection, and simply nuking Win 8 to restore Win 7 is preferable. I do have backups, and will have to see exactly what I can do, or ask MS if it can be done. Admittedly, it was an experiment to see if the Adobe stuff would actually run under Windows 8. I do have another 64-bit machine that I successfully installed the RTM on, but couldn't be bothered with it at the time and just restored that to Win 7. I still have a backup of that Win 8, and might revert that yet again, since it was a clean install, and of course has its original registration. That fifteen-dollar deal looks like no deal at all.

On viewing Media Center on the 8 GB machine I am afraid that it might be the straw that breaks the camel's back on my 2 GB minimalist supercomputer, which is sort of the Energizer Bunny of computers, if only the battery weren't dead and there wasn't a screw loose and rolling around inside the case. I joke about it, but it really has had a remarkable working-life, and the Win 8 installation on that was a clean install as well.

Come to think of it, I think I'd better start looking for a restore point for the Media Center installation. Surely Microsoft wouldn't have overlooked a detail like that. No time to waste... (I'll post back if I find one.)
    I am a bit doubtful that a restore point would allow you to get back from a key based upgrade of Windows features. Have you tried to insert the original key, just to see if that works (am a bit doubtful too, but nothing to lose if you try it)?

I would most definitely try to get another key for Windows Media Pro edition. You shouldn't have trouble getting it.

I would suggest that you don't do anything destructive without getting to MS support. They may just give you another key (they probably should!) and that will solve your problems.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Que tal, Rui ?
    This morning, Media Center does not run at all. I again tried the Add Features and it would not activate. Looking into this but if you have a ready solution, do give it to me. Thanks. JP.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 1,054 Posts
    Hi JP. Have a look at Event Viewer, maybe there is something there that can be of help.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had a look, Rui, it is all Portuguese to me ! When I go through the D/L steps, it says that the app is already installed. ! ? !

Thanks
    This sounds like one of those instances where a free support call to MS might be in order.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Decimo, thanks, I will attend to this tomorrow morn. Sleep tight.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am happy to report that the 'really good machine' is back to normal (without Media Player) and the first full (True Image 2013, as they now name it) backup is just completing.

I now strongly suspect (or desperately hope) that the 'really messed up' machine is not messed up and may simply need very careful attention to the details in 'Settings', to which I paid scant attention but which appear to be fairly complicated.

Thanks
    dogberry, do you mean without Media Center? Were you able to apply for a second key from a second email address?

I also have my first completed install Images using True Image 2013 for both our PC's. I will create new Images at least once per month so I do not get too far behind with this critical chore.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast