New Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft account: Can't verify e-mail during sign-up process

I have established a Microsoft Account using my default email address. I can sign into "view account details" from my Windows Live Mail client, but when asked to "verify your email address", I am advised that an email will be sent so that I can verify the address. I have tried for several weeks to verify the address, yet continue to get the message "there is a temporary problem with this service. Please try again. Etc." In addition, I use the WLM calendar and need to sign into my Hotmail account which I cannot do since my email address has not been verified. I am using Windows 7. Futhermore, since I cannot sign into MS Accounts, I cannot sign into my hotmail account, therefore I cannot update my email address in my hotmail account so that the functionality of my calendars works correctly. In other word, things are a mess with apparently no way to fix the issues.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Hi Warren,
    you will have to verify by directly accessing your Hotmail account. Please note, the mail sent to do it has a short life, usually 24 hours.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have tried everything with NO results.

I have tried all suggestions with NO results - I still cannot verify email address and receive the same message (you no the message). What gives? Why can't we get a straight answer from MS like "we know there is a problem and we working on it". At least I would know that it is something I'm doing and I can forget the dilemma for a while.
    Update: I just tried again and surprise my email was verify. I have no idea what happen. However I still have the same problem with my wife"s account on her PC. The dilemma is she uses the Hotmail Calendar via WLM which is named using her previous email (sandyleesmith@verizon.net). She wants to export the calendar data from her Verizon calendar to a new calendar using her Gmail account information. At this time, she cannot do anything because she cannot verify her email which would then allow her to sign into her Hotmail account. She can sign into her MS account via WLM and get to the account summary page (she clicks the "verify email" there), but when she attempts to verify her email - well, you know the rest of the story. Thanks very much for you help. We appreciate it.
    Last edited by Warren s; 2012-11-07 at 14:22. Reason: More information

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 1,012 Posts
    I am glad it worked for you .

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I solved the problem by closing the MS account and reopening the account with the same logon info.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Thank you for posting the solution. It may be useful to other Lounge members.

Thanks
    I got my MS Live Account for Windows 8 during the Betas, so I haven't had to verify anything lately. Could be that with the release of Win 8, as with the Activation Servers, the Windows Live Verification Servers may have become overloaded with new account sign-ups. Just a possibility, but this might be another thing which will take a few weeks to settle down. I can log in to my MS Live Account, and it does use an outside email address. I also have successfully changed my Windows Live password, which also requires replying to an email verification link.
    -- Bob Primak --