New Lounger
    Thanks

Trouble with HD TV functioning as a monitor

I too am having trouble getting my hdtv to function as a pc monitor. I have a Nvidia card with a dvi socket. The cable goes from dvi on the video card to hdmi on the TV. When the computer is first booted, the TV shows the Windows boot up screen. But when that ends, the screen goes blank. I get an error message that there is no signal at the source. I've tried other cables with the same result. Suggestions, advice appreciated. Steve

Thanks
    I moved this to a thread of it's own rather than resurrecting a very old thread,
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If the video card has both analogue and digital output you probably need to tell Windows which output to use, but that is difficult if you can't see anything.
    What model is the video card?

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As he appears to get the windows boot-up screen I believe the TV is getting the signal at first as the boot screen will be low resolution, but in the Nvidia graphic settings on his PC may have to make sure the resolution for the TV is set correctly IE not higher than the TV default. This may be why the TV turns of the input signal and reports "no signal".
    If this is the only screen attached to the PC may have to start in safe mode to keep the low resolution so he can get into the Nvidia settings to check resolution as maybe HDMI does not automatically adjust this unlike DVI.
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2012-11-04 at 14:25.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul and Clive. Thank you for responding. I am able to view the display on my regular monitor, connected by VGA. I am using a 26 inch Dynex LCD TV, 760. The problem arises on my new Samsung 32 inch LED 1080p HDTV with HDMI input. My PC control panel tells me I am using a Nvidia Geforce 7300 SE/7200 GS. Display is set at 1360 by 768.

Steve

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Check the adapter refresh rate, just to make sure it is supported by the tv.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Gentlemen: Thank you for your suggestions. I think I got it. The display control screen shows monitors 1 and 2, the latter being the HDTV I wanted to activate. It was (only) necessary to select monitor 2 as the primary monitor. It now works as such. I haven't figured out how to use both monitors simultaneously, but I assume some experimentation will get me there. Much appreciation for helping.

Steve