Thread: User accounts

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

User accounts

Paul Thurrott recommends logging on using a Microsoft account to take advantage of the functions of Win 8 while Woody Leonhard recommends the local account for privacy and security. I'm wondering what fellow loungers opinions are on this. What type of account do you guys/gals use? Thanks, Rich
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2012-11-04 at 12:55. Reason: Fixed Title Spelling

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    I use a Microsoft account. The Microsoft account, connected to other accounts, such as facebook, twitter or flickr, really show how useful some aspects of the new Windows 8 can be. I am used to it, too, I as own a Windows Phone, where an account is also used.

Thanks
    I want to connect to facebook (or whatever) when I want to connect to facebook, and that is not each and every time I logon. I use a local account.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I have mine set as a MS account. Going to the various sites and apps I use is quicker that way. It's just more convenient for me.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I use a local account since I have no use for the features supported by a Microsoft account and I don't want my activity broadcast to Microsoft. Main usefulness of signing in to a Microsoft Account are:
    syncing settings on multiple computers (I only have windows 8 on one computer)
    no need to sign into the Microsoft store each time you use it (Don't use it enough to justify an account sign in)
    aggregate social Media settings and contents (Don't do much social media)

Your mileage may vary.

Jerry

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Hi Y'all,

I'm a bit paranoid so I use the Local Account option. Being a resident of SC who's department of revenue computers were recently hacked has made me more so. There is little enough privacy these days I figure why make it easier for the bad buys by having the dots connected for them. YMMV
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I use a Standard User Account with local login. Then when an App requests a MS Account Login, I log in at that point. I use my Administrator Account only for updates and maintenance. I spend 90 percent of my time on the Legacy Desktop, not in Metro. I have no touchpad or touchscreen.
    -- Bob Primak --