Thanks

Is Windows 8 better technically ?

I have now read many articles coming to terms with Windows 8 and its new - er - desktop, but no articles about the usual reasons for new operating systems - ie: that they are better in some technical sense, or offer better security. Can anyone direct me (and possibly other non geeks) to some site where this aspect of Windows 8 might be described and explained ?

NB : I did use the Lounge's search facility, but it didn't seem come up with any answers, so maybe I'm not very good at searches either
    Septuagent

Thanks
    Just read down through many of the threads in this Forum. Win 8 handles memory management much better so it's lighter on system resources. There are many other reasons that are too numerous to mention here and have been discussed in detail throughout the Win 8 Forum.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Thanks
    Although it's looks may take some time getting used to, it's stability (as far as I'm concerned) does not.
    It certainly appears to be a very stable operating system in the time I've been working and running it.

+
    Windows 8 will utilize your GPU's processor much more effectively, as well as memory, than any previous Windows OS.
    Windows 8 will be the most secure Windows OS, on par with Linux in many aspects, minus the supposed learning curve.
    The differences and "higher learning curve" between Windows 7 & 8 touted by many in the opinion tech writing industry
    is grossly blown out of proportion. If you've been working with Windows for many years, Windows 8 WILL NOT be as radical
    a departure as you might be led to think.
    The start screen is not the annoyance you may have been led to believe, as these aspects can easily be mitigated.
    One might actually come to like certain aspects of it as time goes on and apps become more plentiful and mature.

-
    The Windows 8 app store has some ways to go yet, it's not a big stretch to say it is incomplete and lacking for want.
    The lack of aero is a bit confusing but it's far from the ugly squared looking Windows 95 and earlier OS's.
    The lack of a desktop start menu is also confusing, but only at first, and there will be many 3rd party app to get it back
    if one is so inclined.
    Touted as being backward compatible with older hardware, but the best benefits come with the latest hardware.

Last thought:
    We need to see it in action in real world usage for at least 6 months to a year before really judging it. Beta versions don't count.

Hardware accelerating everything: Windows 8 graphics
    Reducing runtime memory in Windows 8
    How Windows 8's memory management modifications make for a better user experience

Windows 8 Security: What's New?
    Microsoft's Windows 8 Security Includes UEFI Secure Boot
    Windows 8 security focuses detecting malware early

Under the hood of Windows 8, or why desktop users should upgrade from Windows 7
    Don’t Believe The FUD: Windows 8 Is Much Better Than You Think
    Windows 8 boots 33% faster than Windows 7, according to testing
    Time to eat crow: Windows 8 is better than Windows 7
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-11-04 at 19:56.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

ruirib (2012-11-06),Septuagent (2012-11-06)

Thanks
    Thank you all for your replies - especially to CLiNT who steered me to a lot of very useful and interesting stuff, and answered my query very well. All the best people live in California. (I have to say that because my son works there. )
    Septuagent

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Nice post, Clint .

Thanks
    See also this Ars Technica article on technical improvements in Windows 8.
    -- Bob Primak --