New Lounger
    Thanks

Update Win 7 Pro

I was perusing the MS website concerning updating win 7 Pro with Win 8 Pro. I encountered a statement that this update of win 7 pro with Win 8 pro would require reinstallation of all applications, but update of Win 7 home would retain applications.
    Any thoughts or experiences on this?

Thanks
    You can run the Upgrade Assistant from here to detail your upgrade options:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...e-to-windows-8

Jerry

Thanks
    If you do an Upgrade from within Win 7 it will Upgrade your installation, but there have been more reported problems with the Upgrade, than with the Custom Install. To do the Custom Install you must burn the ISO file to DVD or Flash drive. IMO this gives a more pristine installation with fewer problems. Yes, the Custom Installation does require the re-installation of your apps, but this also allows the installation of all the latest versions of your apps.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    The Windows upgrade process is much more robust and reliable than any previous version. It is imperative that you the upgrade assistant mentioned in post #2. Also, your current PC should be running well - as in no know hardware or software problems. Make a complete system backup before beginning the upgrade process regardless of whether you choose to upgrade or custom install.

I've upgraded several PCs without incident. IMO, upgrading is no more risky than a custom install. In contrast to what Ted has seen I've not seen significantly more problems upgrading than using a custom install.

Joe

Joe

Thanks
    The problem is, you only hear about the few upgrades that don't work. You never hear about the vast majority that do work. It is all dependent on the stability of the existing installation. Don't expect an upgrade install of a new OS to fix an existing issue.

Ted is right in that a clean install is always the safest route but if you have a stable OS and a lot of applications or some you no longer have the disks for, I wouldn't hesitate to do an upgrade install if the versions support it.

Jerry
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2012-11-05 at 11:17.

Thanks
    I have said several times in the past that there are many variables in the Upgrade process. Yes Win 8 seems to be the best so far, but it does depend a lot on the underlying OS. Is it stable, is it running well, what does the Upgrade Assistant say about installed apps and devices. I believe the biggest problem is the underlying OS. Perhaps everyone that reports a problem had problems with the underlying OS.

Secondly, after doing an Upgrade Install, if you encounter strange problems that seem to defy explanation and normal T/S activities, the time spent to try to fix a corrupt install often takes more time and efforts than just biting the bullet and doing the Custom Install.

And yes, we only hear about the installs that have problems, but in reading through this Forum and 2 other Win 8 specific Forums it seems most of the problems are encountered after an Upgrade Install.

And yes if you have needed apps that are no longer available to you, and the Upgrade Assistant does not flag this S/W then by all means try the Upgrade.

But for the vast numbers of people that have no idea how good their present OS is, and have no idea how to try to ascertain what the problem is, I still believe they are better off with a Custom Install. Unfortunately, the ISO file download and burn to disk is not nearly as easy to find as it once was.

The other reason I will always recommend burning the ISO file to disk is to have an installation media in the future. How often have we read of people asking how to reinstall, or asking where the ISO file download might be found. Plus the installation media gives ready access to the Recovery/Repair Console.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy