Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade query

New Lounger
    Thanks

Upgrade query

Hi

Just downloaded the upgrade and my DVD drive has shouted enough and it's going to be a few days before I can pickup another. What I want to do is upgrade XP sp3 I have on a dual boot with Win7 both ops are on different Hd not partiton. will the download allow me to point to the XP drive and partition on that drive. Both OP's are legit I just don't use XP anymore it's just been sitting there since I got used to Win7. My original idea was to burn a disc and then disconnect the Win7 HD and upgrade the XP so no chance of an "accident".

Kev

Thanks
    Kev, Welcome to the Lounge.

I believe you would have to download the ISO using XP to have the download utilize the XP drive, even if you choose Custom install from the download. If you use the Win 7 disk for the download, you would have to burn to a DVD to boot to that DVD to allow installation in the XP drive.

If your Bios allows booting to a Flash drive, instead of burning to the DVD, you could choose the Flash Drive as the bootable media.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-11-04 at 13:45.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

watchman (2012-11-04)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Medico

That's about what I thought think I'll just hang on till I get a new drive then burn a disc as I was going to.

Kev

Thanks
    If you need it sooner, you could buy a DVD from MS when you go to the download site. Costs another $15.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    I believe you would have to download the ISO using XP to have the download utilize the XP drive
    That would surprise me, since I downloaded my 32-bit copy on one system, burned the DVD there, and then booted it on the actual target hardware and installed it there without difficulty. So I suspect that it doesn't matter at all whether the OS and hardware you use to perform the download match your eventual upgrade target (though it does matter whether the downloading OS is 32- or 64-bit, since - at least as long as the download system's hardware can support both versions of Win8 Pro - you'll probably get a download that matches the 'bittedness' of the OS used to perform it).

(The above of course assumes that you elect to burn the DVD or USB drive rather than perform the installation as PART of the download process, since the latter - which I haven't tried - may well assume that you want to upgrade the system used to perform the download.)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Already got the download, only realised the DVD had retired when I tried to burn the disc. Should have booted into XP when I did the download. I can pick a new DVD up later in the week and burn the disc then. No real rush just that when you've got it you want to use it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by - bill View Post
    That would surprise me, since I downloaded my 32-bit copy on one system, burned the DVD there, and then booted it on the actual target hardware and installed it there without difficulty. So I suspect that it doesn't matter at all whether the OS and hardware you use to perform the download match your eventual upgrade target (though it does matter whether the downloading OS is 32- or 64-bit, since - at least as long as the download system's hardware can support both versions of Win8 Pro - you'll probably get a download that matches the 'bittedness' of the OS used to perform it).

(The above of course assumes that you elect to burn the DVD or USB drive rather than perform the installation as PART of the download process, since the latter - which I haven't tried - may well assume that you want to upgrade the system used to perform the download.)
    The problem is that both HD are on the same MB dual booted, I downloaded using 7 not XP and the DVD burner died before I burned the ISO. plan was to disconnect the 7 drive and install on the XP drive. If I now use the download to upgrade it will probably overwrite 7 and not XP. To be safe I'm going to wait till I have a new burner and upgrade the XP as a stand alone then dual boot later..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by - bill View Post

Bill, the OP said he does not have an operational DVD drive at present. It died. Hence in order to install to the XP drive without a DVD he would have to download using that OS.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    Bill, the OP said he does not have an operational DVD drive at present. It died. Hence in order to install to the XP drive without a DVD he would have to download using that OS.
    I may have been confused by your wording ("I believe you would have to download the ISO using XP to have the download utilize the XP drive"): what you download for Win 8 Pro is never 'the ISO' but rather some software that can create an ISO, so I assumed you were just using verbal shorthand to mean the latter (which, as you noted earlier, could then be 'burned' to a USB drive to use instead of a DVD using the Win 7 ISO-to-USB utility ).

I haven't used the direct method (that avoids creating any ISO), but if it offers an option to defer applying the installation possibly the downloaded files could be moved to the XP system and executed there (after creating a backup image of the XP system just in case, perhaps using a utility on the Win 7 system if he wanted to avoid imaging a running system).

For that matter, he can just perform the download again on the XP system (using his existing product key and the link in his order-acknowledgement email) and avoid any such awkwardness. Though (again, since I haven't tried it) I don't know that he can get as 'clean' an install without burning and then booting from a DVD or USB device: is formatting before installing an option with such 'direct' installs?

Thanks
    That is correct. I personally would always recommend creating a DVD just so you do have a media for reinstalling purposes and a media to use for the Repair Console.

Sorry, I sometimes don't get my point across exactly as I wish it to be. Makes sense to me, but not others.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Can a person still make the ISO and mount it virtually and install to anywhere from that? I know I've done that in the past, even installing from a network location!

Thanks
    Sorry, I do not know. I do have the ISO file on my Data Drive and have burned the ISO file to DVD. The DVD allows me to burn it anywhere. In fact on my wife's PC, I bought the key, got my email receipt, then aborted the install, booted to the DVD I made during my install, plugged in the key I purchased for my wife's PC and did a clean install with format from there.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys I'll stick to my original plan and wait till Thursday when I can pick up a new drive. better safe than sorry.

Kev

Thanks
    That's right, no need to rush, and having the ISO burned to DVD is a good idea.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well win 8 is installed easiest yet I think Media Centre also installed took less than 10 minutes for the key to come through. No more XP except for an old banger I need for some older software and hardware. Not dual booted yet as I want to get the hang of W8 before I do, quick question do you recommend the Windows boot manager or Easy BCD which I used on the old XP/win7 boot.

Thanks for the help with this

Kev

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast