4 Star Lounger

Help Converting Template

I recently had the misfortune of having to switch from Word 2003 to Word 2010. I know I am late to the party and the interface is awful. I would not have switched except my employer replaced my hardward and IT told me Windows 7 64 bit cannot run Office 2003.

Anyway, one of the headaches I am dealing with is a template that works fine under Word 2003 but does not work under Word 2010. It is attached. The template is four printing Memorex CD lables. Under Word 2003, the gray grid lines are under the yellow background and do not print. Additionally, the template fits on one page and lines up with the CD labels.

Under Word 2010, the gray grid lines are printed after the yellow part of the label, the printing no longer lines up with the labels, and it takes up two pages to print each label.

I have tried and tried to repair it but I cannot. Part of the difficulty is I downloaded this from the web years ago (don't remember where) so I was not the one to create it and it is more complex than anything I have created. I tried searching the web for a new one for Word 2010 without success.

Can anyone help?

Attached Files Attached Files
    Ronny Richardson

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronny View Post
    my employer replaced my hardward and IT told me Windows 7 64 bit cannot run Office 2003.
    That would be news to Microsoft!! I've been I running Office 2003 on Windows 7 64 bit with no problems whatsoever for the past couple of years.

Still, you may as well learn to use the new versions, 'cos MS isn't going back to the old interface anytime soon.

PS: Your attached document (not a template) opens fine for me with both Word 2003 and Word 2010, with all the content on a single page. I suspect your pagination issue is due to a change in printer drivers. As for the gridlines, they don't print and their display can be toggled on/off via Table Tools>Layout>View Gridlines (when the cursor is in the table).
    Last edited by macropod; 2012-11-04 at 15:31.

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Super Moderator
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    This document is a complex table layout and can be done much easier with text boxes. The page layout issue is probably related to the change of printer driver rather than the version of Word. Word lays out a document according to the printer metrics and some printers can print closer to the edge of the paper than others. This can cause a one page document to become a two page document quite easily.

The gray label shapes are a floating graphic in the header so they repeat on each page. This is why you see it on the second page where the big yellow table hasn't been repeated. This graphic in the header needs to be moved to realign properly with your new printer. Do this by printing this onto paper and then placing it under an actual label sheet and holding it up to the light and working out which way the background graphic needs to move to align properly. When you have this correct, you can then position the text boxes to be in the right location. If you also want yellow backgrounds on the labels you can place these as yellow shapes on the page. Save this file as your new template.

When you need to do another label, start a new file from the template - put in your text and then delete the header before printing.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia