New Lounger
    Thanks

Lightbulb Another 3 hour tour road trip planned

Hello again ,great lounge here,,,

Back again with the same scenario different new computer.
    New Acer aspire laptop.
    Win 7 home premium is the OS installed.
    Originally partitioned as in screen shot.

acer 1.png

My goal is to delete empty/backup /service partition setup ,and finish with a setup
    with 2 bootable partitions ( maybe 3 if possible ) and one data partition.

I had found helpful information here on previous setup , all worked great and was
    presented in a understandable way .
    Yes a different OS and brand name.

Any help / ideas / cautions / tips from the people here would be very
    much appreciated.

Thanks and good day to you.

Thanks
    I moved this to a thread of it's own rather than being tacked on the end of an older thread.

Use a third party partitioning app such as Partition Wizard to do the partitioning chores. I assume you mean that you wish to delete the Recovery Partition. Since this is ahead of the C Drive you will need to use a 3rd party app.

Open Partition Wizard. Highlight the Recovery Partition (Make sure you label the C Drive so there is no mistake) and choose Delete, then Apply. This will leave unallocated space in it's place. Next highlight the C Drive and pull the left edge to the left until it fills the unallocated space .

PartitionWizard.jpg

My screen shot shows me moving the right side. You would do the same thing on the left border.

Select Apply. The PC will reboot because moving the C Drive into the unallocated space requires work outside of Windows.

When you reboot you will now see a C Drive and a System Reserved drive of 100 Mb. I would leave the system reserved drive alone. You might need it later.

Now you can grab the right side of the C Drive, as shown in my screen shot, and drag it toward the left until you reach the desired size. When you select Apply, this operation will be done immediately since it does not require moving data.

Now you will have unallocated space you can install another OS into. Once you have done this, you will end up with a dual boot scenario. Follow the last step again to make the second partition the size you want, thus leaving unallocated space. You can add another OS if you want, or right click this partition (from within Partition Wizard) and setting it to Logical for use as a Data Drive.

I hope this is all understandable. Since this is now your first time doing this you should be able to follow these instructions easily enough. Make sure you make an Image before you start, and perhaps after each step, just in case.

I have used Partition Wizard to resize partitions (smaller and larger), move things around, etc. very successfully.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

acoustic1218 (2012-11-05)

New Lounger
    Thanks

a few more details

Thanks 4 the information.

I have been using Acronis as my partition modifying / multi-boot software .

Clean up / tweak / perfect , all installed software and use Ghost to
    save image and re-image on other partition ( multi-boot),always have backup copy security using Ghost.

Having a ghost image as back up is my reasoning for deleting the reserved system partition.

Thanks
    I also deleted the Recovery and system reserved partition on my PC since I always have a newer Image. The system reserved partition may contain the MBR so if you delete it you might have to use your installation media to open the Repair console to fix it.

Win 7 can be used for some of these chores, but not for resizing the C Drive into the now empty recovery partition. The Win 7 Disk Manager will not work to resize the C Drive into unallocated space in front of the C Drive. That's where the 3rd party app is essential.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

acoustic1218 (2012-11-06)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Suggestions on how to find out if reserve partition contains MBR before i delete it?

Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    I also deleted the Recovery and system reserved partition on my PC since I always have a newer Image. The system reserved partition may contain the MBR so if you delete it you might have to use your installation media to open the Repair console to fix it.

Win 7 can be used for some of these chores, but not for resizing the C Drive into the now empty recovery partition. The Win 7 Disk Manager will not work to resize the C Drive into unallocated space in front of the C Drive. That's where the 3rd party app is essential.

Thanks
    Not sure, but then again it's only 100 Mb, just leave it. You will not miss that space at all.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would leave the 100mb reserve partition alone. I found out that if you delete it and do the repair option to place it inside the wndows partition, that although windows will work and boot fine I cannot upgrade to win 8 as it looks for that 100mb partition and comes up with error if cannot find it. This only a problem if and when you wish to use upgrade edition of win 8.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    That's strange, I did move from Win 7 to Win 8 Pro on the 26th. But then again I did a Custom Install with a format as a portion of the install. Don't know about what Clive is deciding.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    To check and see if all your boot components are resident on the same drive/partition, open up an elevated command prompt and type:
    BCDEdit

You should get something like this;

PS C:\Windows\system32> BCDEdit
    Windows Boot Manager
    --------------------
    identifier {bootmgr}
    device partition=C:
    description Windows Boot Manager
    locale en-us
    inherit {globalsettings}
    integrityservices Enable
    default {current}
    resumeobject {a17d4e8e-296d-11e2-be83-e06995631c3b}
    displayorder {current}
    toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
    timeout 3
    Windows Boot Loader
    -------------------
    identifier {current}
    device partition=C:
    path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
    description Windows 8
    locale en-us
    inherit {bootloadersettings}
    recoverysequence {a17d4e90-296d-11e2-be83-e06995631c3b}
    integrityservices Enable
    recoveryenabled Yes
    allowedinmemorysettings 0x15000075
    osdevice partition=C:
    systemroot \Windows
    resumeobject {a17d4e8e-296d-11e2-be83-e06995631c3b}
    nx OptIn
    bootmenupolicy Standard
    detecthal Yes
    PS C:\Windows\system32>

Those locations listed in red ought to be the same.
    If they are not they can be changed.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    That's strange, I did move from Win 7 to Win 8 Pro on the 26th. But then again I did a Custom Install with a format as a portion of the install. Don't know about what Clive is deciding.
    My problem arose because i wanted to do a straight upgrade without format to keep as much of my stuff as possible. I expect if you choose the format option it puts its own MBR in during install.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.