Star Lounger
    Thanks

Reinstall of Windows 7

I just finished Sunday a "in place reinstall" per Fred Langa's article of my WIN7 HP 64bit computer.
    First i did a full back up and made a image of my system.
    I then downloaded and burned to a DVD the ISO file.
    All went well i am happy to say including reactivating however as others have said it is time consuming. It took
    close to 4 hours including installing all the updates.
    My question is do i need and is it necessary to make a new recovery disc?
    I did make a new image after i was done.
    Barry

Thanks
    No, the Recovery disk has the Repair Console and such and that will not change with your reinstallation.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I recommend you keep that image you took after installing and updating VERY close and safe. Maybe once everything is configured and installed/updated - take another one and save it. SO, next time you need to format/reinstall when windows crashes, you just need to recover your old data from the HDD and reimage your computer from the previous backup and BAM, you just saved yourself half a day of updating software installing and driver fighting...

Thanks
    Not really the question asked, but creating a new Image after changes in a PC is a great idea. I create new Images at least once per month right after patch Tuesday. I am now using File History in Win 8 to back up data. In Win 7 your data should indeed be backed up separately as it will change far more often than your OS.

The Win 7 Recovery Disk will not change with the OS reinstallation. If you change the OS, i.e. Win 7 to Win 8, you would need a new Recovery Disk, unless you have an installation disk, which includes the Recovery Info as well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    no, you're right... this will TOTALLY eliminate the need for the recovery discs altogether thus my lack of info in prev post. I am a firm believer in a bit of preventative maintenance. this preventative procedure which may seem like a bit of a hassle.... may take a while considering having to boot to an imaging tool... blah blah blah

but I can honestly say that it has saved me TONS of time...
    do a bit of research with sysprep.. make yourself a universal image and you can use this method to create an image that will work on any computer that can handle Win7

...Theres no place like 127.0.0.1

Thanks
    Actually, since my data is on a separate drive and is not affected by an OS crash, using an Image that is up to date with OS changes lets me get back in less than 10 minutes.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That brings up something i was very curious about. I am new to imaging and am limited to free programs right now.
    I tried Macrium but when i tried to test it by reinstalling it wouldn't work. keep giving me a error message that something was running.
    At any rate i used the built in tool in Windows 7 and it worked fine how ever it took 45 minuets to reinstall.
    Is acronis that much faster than Windows 7 are is there another variable that i don't know about?
    i have about a hundred Gigs on my system mostly music and movies.
    Barry

Thanks
    Most often, especially with the free versions, you have to restore by booting to the Rescue Disk you have to create from the Imaging app. I believe Macrium Reflect has 2 distinct Rescue Disk options. I do not use Macrium Reflect so I cannot expand more on this.

In Acronis, my Rescue Boot Disk allows me to either Create or Restore Images from the boot disk outside of Windows. It's not necessary, but I prefer it.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-11-07 at 18:40.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted