Star Lounger
    Thanks

Create new spreadsheet (13 columns) but data has variable number columns

Hi there,

I have a pipe delimited .txt file to work with. It contains a list of around 6,000 records (one record per line)
    Some of the data headings are: Address 1, Address 2, Address 3, City State Postcode, DOB, File No:,
    Some of the entries contain errors, i.e. Address 1 and 2 data have been entered into Address 1.
    Is there any quick way to correct this type of thing using macros?

Once I have correct data in each field, I then need to use this information as a very makeshift txt based database.

Thanks for any help. The current delimited .txt file is constantly updated so I need to find a resuable workaround rather than a one-off fix or system.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
    Hi there,

I have a pipe delimited .txt file to work with. It contains a list of around 6,000 records (one record per line)
    Some of the data headings are: Address 1, Address 2, Address 3, City State Postcode, DOB, File No:,
    Some of the entries contain errors, i.e. Address 1 and 2 data have been entered into Address 1.
    Is there any quick way to correct this type of thing using macros?

Once I have correct data in each field, I then need to use this information as a very makeshift txt based database.

Thanks for any help. The current delimited .txt file is constantly updated so I need to find a resuable workaround rather than a one-off fix or system.
    Are you saying that certain records may not have the correct number of delimiters? This will give you a problem with automation, since it is easy to program the import and parsing of delimited records if there are always the same number of fields.

Do you have a sample text file you could upload (suitable anonymized!)?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Unless you have a guaranteed delimiter between the address entries it would be almost impossible to split an address into 2 parts. Do you have a carriage return in the fields that are mixed?

cheers, Paul

Thanks

Perhaps this is what you are looking for

It could be done if the second address consistently starts with the first instance of a number after a string of text. Ex: street number(numbers) followed by street name (text) followed by street numbers (numbers). How about something like this.

Public Sub SplitAddress()
    'Look for the street number
    Address = Cells(1, 1).Value 'assign the entire address in cell A1 a variable "Address" 121 south street 1 Market street
    Streetnum = Val(Address) 'identify fisrt set of street numbers 121
    Remainder = Trim(Mid(Address, Len(Streetnum) + 1, Len(Address))) 'The rest of the total address minus the first street number south street 1 Market street

For i = Len(Remainder) To 1 Step -1 'cycle the loop backwards the number of times as the number of characters in the streetname 28 to 1
    If Val(Right(Remainder, i)) <> 0 Then 'Search string for next number. If a number then the beginning of second address found Cycle until the number 1 before Market
    Address2 = Right(Remainder, i) 'get full second address 1 Market street
    Streetname = Left(Remainder, Len(Remainder) - i) 'get first street name south street
    Address1 = Streetnum & " " & Streetname 'first full address. Concatenate street number and street name 121 south street
    End If
    Next i

Cells(1, 2).Value = Address1 'Assign cell B1 with Address1 121 south street
    Cells(1, 3).Value = Address2 'Assign cell C1 with Address2 1 Market street
    End Sub

HTH
    Maud
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Maudibe; 2012-11-07 at 00:14.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

Thank you for all replies thus far.
    Unfortunately, the address fields do not always start with numbers or anything that is absolute across the board.
    The file has been converted from pdf format to xls (using third party software Able2Extract (professional version).
    I have noticed there are some small boxes in the pdf before it is converted.
    On reading up about this, these may indicate occurences of "text box overflow".
    I wonder if figuring out a way to rectify the text box overlow issue may fix the issue of the delimited entries being out of order once the pdf is converted to xls.
    The final outcome needs to be in pipe delimited txt format as it is used by another third party program as a database.
    Hopefully the above gives a better description of what I am working with and what I am aiming to create.
    Last edited by ozgal; 2012-11-08 at 21:46.

Thanks
    Can you provide a sample converted spreadsheet with the addresses as they now appear?