Ken Kashmarek

Question Windows Live Essentials: Mail & Photo Gallery

Live Mail has a shortcoming with regard to messages received that are photo emails or have attached photos of photos inserted in the body of the message. There is no way to easily extract those photos and place them in a location that is available for easy access by Photo Gallery.

When you access an email with photos, they are in the content of the email message file. When email message, and subsequently, the photos are viewed, the photo files are temporarily extracted into a temporary folder. When the message is closed, the temporary folder is deleted.

Deleted as in placed into the recycle bin (you could leave them there or extract them to some other location but that seems an unnecessary step).

WLM should have an option to extract and place the photo files in a location normally accessible by Photo Gallery. Typically, this is what we would expect as a normal procedure (as experienced in the MicroSoft Office suite of programs where interchange is routine).

Does anybody have a quick and easy way to extract photos from WLM messages for use in Photo Gallery (or any other photo program)?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Right-click, Save Picture As ... , My Pictures?

Bruce

Ken Kashmarek
    Read my writing...

Right click, save as, on each photo file gets VERY OLD VERY QUICK.

There may be a dozen photos in an email or in the WLM parlance, photo email.

Doing EACH INDIVIDUAL photo is, well, just a waste of capability.

If there was an option to select ALL photos, followed by SAVE ALL PHOTOS, then just supply a folder, that would work. However, the photos come with long (32 or more characters) filename, not the original photo file names, so that can become a big chore as well. I opt for a STORE PHOTOS TO option, or maybe just TRANSFER PHOTOS to Photo Gallery. Retaining the original photo filename would be a definite plus!

Thanks
    Click on the drop down arrow in the upper left corner and do a Save > Save Attachments. For embedded photos, Control Click each photo, then right click save as.
    Otherwise, it is what it is. I don't know of any Email client that has a "Save Photos" option.

Jerry
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2012-11-06 at 19:07.

Thanks
    Hi Ken,
    do as Jerry posted, then:-

RR.JPG
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Roderunner For This Useful Post:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Kashmarek View Post
    Read my writing...

Right click, save as, on each photo file gets VERY OLD VERY QUICK.
    I should have guessed.

Bruce

Ken Kashmarek
    Thanks to those who responded.

Since WLM & Photo Gallery are part of the same suite, I was looking for something that had some synergy between the two applications, much like what we see between applications in the Office Suite. Alas, MicroSoft no longer sees fit to deliver something usable but just something that works their way or generates money for them. Photo Gallery can be viewed as somewhat of a competitor to Picassa, or WLM as somewhat of an improvement to old Windows Mail (though they would rather you used their "cloud" based versions of both, thought I doubt if their "cloud" will ever be sufficient for much of anything. After all, it is the "all your data are belong to us" model.