Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Angry A VERY aggravating "Power Save Mode" problem

My wife and I both have the same issue with our Dell XPS desktop machines, set up as follows in both cases:

Windows 7 SP1 with current updates
    Internet Explorer 9 with current updates

Each machine operates independently of the other, other than the fact both are connected to the same router in our home LAN.

The issue is that in both cases, each machine's monitor will spontaneously go black while in active use at the time and briefly ablue notice will come up saying "Entering Power Saving Mode" on the monitor. This should not be happening when the machine is being actively used, only when idle. If we move the mouse briskly, it will display what we were working on again, but it should not be doing this in the firstplace when in active use. If not corrected, it will often do the same thing again typically in a minute or so,until the cache is cleaned out as out. In my frustration, the only thing I have discovered that will resolve the problem for longer than 30 to 60 seconds is to run "Disk Cleanup" and then reboot. This seems to work for perhaps a few weeks, but it always comes back again after a period of time.

I have never had this happen before, but I point out this is happening in both computers so that would seem to preclude a specific issue in either one of them. Can it be some configuration issue or setting, or something in either Windows 7 or IE9 that could cause something like this? Can it be an obsure setting in Power Save itself that this non-techie cannot find? Is there any setting or other action I can do in order to correct this and keep it from reoccurring? I welcome any and all suggestions you can offer.
    Last edited by decann; 2012-11-06 at 18:46.

David E. Cann

Thanks
    I believe Windows 7 measures keyboard and/or mouse activity to tell when to turn off the monitor. the only way to prevent the screen from going black is to increase the timeout in Control Panel > Power Options > Choose when to turn off the display or run a program like Caffeine that simulates user activity periodically to keep the screen on. It can be turned on and off as needed an is useful for long installs where you want to keep the screen always on.
    Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Please note in my initial query that in both desktop machines, this occurs when the machine IS IN ACTIVE USE, not when idle. Also, if what you say is true, then why does cleaning out the cash then rebooting clear it up and stop the problem for a few weeks or so? I will take a look at my Power Options, but you do not say what to look for nor what settings to change when I get there. :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    I believe Windows 7 measures keyboard and/or mouse activity to tell when to turn off the monitor. the only way to prevent the screen from going black is to increase the timeout in Control Panel > Power Options > Choose when to turn off the display or run a program like Caffeine that simulates user activity periodically to keep the screen on. It can be turned on and off as needed an is useful for long installs where you want to keep the screen always on.
    Jerry

David E. Cann

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know how to do it (someone else may though). But is there a way to get windows to clear the cache every reboot. This would seem going by your description to resolve the problem as unless you don't reboot very often the cache would be kept low. Or maybe there is a way to reduce the size of the cache. (I am not sure which cache you are referring to so cannot be more helpful).
    When in power options have you looked in the advanced section and gone through all the settings there for the screen timeout?
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2012-11-06 at 16:58.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am kind of doing that now as a "work around" simply by cleaning out the cache manually from time to time, but I should not have to do that. I'd much prefer fixing the problem if I only knew what the problem was and how to fix it.
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousclive View Post
    I don't know how to do it (someone else may though). But is there a way to get windows to clear the cache every reboot. This would seem going by your description to resolve the problem as unless you don't reboot very often the cache would be kept low. Or maybe there is a way to reduce the size of the cache. (I am not sure which cache you are referring to so cannot be more helpful).
    When in power options have you looked in the advanced section and gone through all the settings there for the screen timeout?

David E. Cann

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I must presume from the lack of replies that the rest of you are as puzzled as I am about this. So, barring some other suggestions, I will keep cleaning the disk out using Disk Cleanup because that is all I know to do that seems to work, albeit for only a couple of weeks or so. I find it difficult to understand how that can cause something like this so often though, and I have to think there is something IN BOTH MACHINES that is causing such an issue.

David E. Cann

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    A co-worker had a similar problem recently and he found it was some sort of screen saver configuration, on his Dell, that was causing this.

Think this post gives a possible explanation of how to access the screen saver settings. I cannot confirm those will fit your scenario, though.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not quite sure I understand your reply. I did change the time on the screensaver on both machines, but they are both desktops as I noted in my initial query and not laptops. Also, I do not see how it can be the screensavers at all, since in both cases the screensaver does not seem to be coming on, the screen simply goes black while the computer is in active use at the time. Very puzzling, and in my own case the desktop itself is only a few months old with all the HD, memory, and speed in the world and this kind of thing should not be happening, at least in theory.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    A co-worker had a similar problem recently and he found it was some sort of screen saver configuration, on his Dell, that was causing this.

Think this post gives a possible explanation of how to access the screen saver settings. I cannot confirm those will fit your scenario, though.

David E. Cann

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ruirib, I have changed my screen saver settings and extended the time a bit on both machines. I'm not sure I understand how this could help any, but I admittedly have no clue what the issue is so I cannot say for sure. I guess now it is just a waiting game to see if it happens again with the new settings and different screen saver selected. :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post

David E. Cann

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe you could try disabling the screen saver temporarily to see if it has anything to do with it. (maybe the screen saver has locked onto a black screen as the saver).
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by decann View Post
    Please note in my initial query that in both desktop machines, this occurs when the machine IS IN ACTIVE USE, not when idle. Also, if what you say is true, then why does cleaning out the cash then rebooting clear it up and stop the problem for a few weeks or so? I will take a look at my Power Options, but you do not say what to look for nor what settings to change when I get there. :-(

When you say active use do you mean you using the mouse and/or keyboard? If you are watching a video and not using mouse or keyboard maybe it is taking this as idle.
    Clive

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    curiousclive, I mean in ACTIVE use, including mouse, keyboard and such. That is why it seems so strange and I tend to think it is not the screensaver, but I honestly do not know what it is (or is not).
    When you say active use do you mean you using the mouse and/or keyboard? If you are watching a video and not using mouse or keyboard maybe it is taking this as idle.

David E. Cann

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    curiousclive, I've change the screensaver settings on both machines now, so let me give it time to happen again so I can see if that is the issue. If the issue still happens, then I will disable both screensavers and try that for awhile. I honestly have no clue what the cause could be though, so I guess I cannot really say it's not the screensaver, even though I have my doubts.
    Maybe you could try disabling the screen saver temporarily to see if it has anything to do with it. (maybe the screen saver has locked onto a black screen as the saver).

David E. Cann

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you using any registry cleaners or other programs like that which might be common to both systems? It sounds like a registry error(s) to me but the problem has been going on for so long, a clean restore point probably no longer exists.

The only other thing I can think of is that sometimes if plugged into a UPS strip, odd behavior like this happens, but again, that would have to be common to both systems so if its not, disregard.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No registry cleaners, neither common to both desktops or not. As for registry errors, my own computer is nearly new and is a replacement in the spring of this year when Dell gave up on fixing my previous one when one of Dell's in home technicians screwed it up, so my current one is not very old. I realize that doesn't exempt it from registry errors, but it seems rather unlikely.

Neither machine is plugged into a power strip if that is what "UPS" means, but the power cord for both plugs into it's own individual battery back up so that may be considered the same thing, I don't kinow. Both battery backups plug directly into individual wall outlets because the setup directions for each APC battery backup specifically said to do it that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Are you using any registry cleaners or other programs like that which might be common to both systems? It sounds like a registry error(s) to me but the problem has been going on for so long, a clean restore point probably no longer exists.

The only other thing I can think of is that sometimes if plugged into a UPS strip, odd behavior like this happens, but again, that would have to be common to both systems so if its not, disregard.

David E. Cann

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast