Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

W7 won't save/move/delete PDF files or recognize Administrator privileges

Hi,

I have an annoying problem involving W7's Administrator privileges vs. PDF files and it's starting to drive me mad (actually, with me that's not really much of a drive; it's more like a tap-in putt!). Unfortunately, I don't have a coherent picture of the problem to offer, only a handful of different symptoms that I hope someone smarter than I am can piece together and make sense of. For the record, I'm using Adobe Reader X, Ver. 10.1.4.

A) If I make any alteration in an existing PDF document in Adobe (such as adding text, highlighting, etc.) and try to save it, I sometimes get the following message:
    Adobe won't let me save PDF.png
    Sometimes if I do Save As/PDF and give it the same name, I can get W7 to save the file, but otherwise I have to save the file with a different name in order to get W7 to save it.

B) Sometimes when I try to save a new version of a PDF file to an existing PDF file name, instead of asking if I want to overwrite it, it gives me the following message:
    Adobe warning screenshot.png

C) W7 sometimes won't let me delete, rename, or move certain PDF files, at which point I get this warning:
    Adobe won't let me move file2.png

Occasionally I find that some PDF files have the blue and yellow shield next to them and ask for Administrator privileges, which I have, but which W7 apparently doesn't recognize. If I try to delete the file, I can't, as it asks me for Administrator confirmation to continue, but when I give it, I still end up with the warning message above. If I then click on the undeleted "deleted" file to open it, Adobe displays an error message saying that there is a problem with this file and it can't be opened, so it may be partially, but not completely, deleted. As a result, I have a lot of dead carcasses of former PDF files remaining in many subdirectories, files that W7 won't let me move or delete.

I can't figure out:
    A) Why W7 won't let me save a PDF file I'm working with to its own name;

B) Why W7 is even asking for Administrator privileges on some (but not all) PDF files; and

C) Why, when I try to save/move/delete some PDF files, W7 puts up its message window with the "Continue" button with the blue and yellow shield, asking me for Administrator confirmation, yet doesn't recognize my Administrator status and pops up a message telling me I need permission from the computer's administrator.

To the best of my recollection, this has only started in the last couple of weeks or so, but because I use PDF files a lot, it has quickly become a royal pain. So far, at least, I haven't been able to discern any clear pattern of cause and effect that might lead me to the solution, so any and all help on this will be hugely appreciated.

Cheers,
    Al
    Last edited by HealingHands33; 2012-11-06 at 15:00. Reason: Images didn't load properly
    Windows 7 Pro, 64-Bit, SP1 on desktop
    Windows XP/Media Edition, SP3 on Dell laptop
    Windows 7 Home Premium, 32-bit, SP1 on HP Mini 5103
    Samsung Galaxy S2 running JB 4.1.2

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    strange,

after skimming through your issue, I think this should be your first tep...

ensure windows file permissions are allowing you to read/write/modify the files in question
    -without having to read through the link, rightclickthetroublesomefile/properties/security tab: ..ensure ADMINISTRATOR is in the list of users that you see, with FULL ACCESS CONFIGURED in the *CHECKMARK* area

http://www.wikihow.com/Change-File-P...s-on-Windows-7

it coiuld have something to do with where these files are coming in the first place - how they got on your system or many other variables

-which version were they created with
    -if sent to you which method was used
    -if you didnt create them, what OS was used and what software was used
    -did you try using a different method of creating if you are the one who created - did you try reinstalling the creation software if so?
    -does the issue reoccur on a different PC using the same software for access?

... just a few things the bounced through my mind reading your current headache

Cheers
    ... There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Thanks
    Al,

Some things to look at.

1. Are you trying to save the file to a temp location, i.e. did you just download the file. W7 will mark this R/O and the solution is to save to a different directory and/or file name.

2. Down load a copy of Take Ownership which can be used to solve many permissions issues.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

HealingHands33 (2012-11-06)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Creggerj and RetiredGeek,

Thanks for your posts. To respond to some of your thoughts:

A) Most, if not all, of these PDF files are files I've created by printing spreadsheets or documents through PDF995, which I've used for years without problems, so I don't think that it's the source of these files that's the issue.

B) None of these PDF files are saved to a temp location or are R/O; they are files I've created in a project subdirectory I've also created. I can load them in Adobe Reader X, add some text or highlight, then sometimes hit Save and have it work, but sometimes when I hit Save it gives me the "can't save" error message, at which point I try Save As/PDF, which sometimes allows me to save it to the original file name, but not always. When even Save As/PDF fails, I end up having to save the file to a slightly altered file name, which of course leads to clutter and confusion in the subdirectories.

Hold the presses! This just in:
    I was working yesterday on a project that included 24 different PDF documents. As a result of the problems discussed in my post, however, there were at least two or three instances where I couldn't save a final version under its original name, so I'd been forced to save those final versions under slightly varied names in order to get W7 to let me save them at all. After I sent the project off to the recipient, I happened to leave open the Windows Explorer window showing that subdirectory's list of PDF files, including both the 24 good ones and the 2 or 3 earlier versions of certain files that W7 wouldn't allow me to write over, move, or delete. However, when I just now clicked on that window in the taskbar and opened it, my 24 PDF files were all there, but the "undeletable" and unmovable files that I'd tried so hard yesterday to delete or move are now gone!

I'm not sure what that means, but it seems almost as though W7 (or Adobe?) just somehow couldn't process the save/move/delete requests in real time, so it gave me those error messages, then took its own sweet time in getting those deletions done. Put differently, it seems as though the files eventually were deleted, as I'd instructed, but that there was a delay in completing the deletion, so a file still showed in the subdirectory, but it was only an unloadable "shell" of the original PDF file, having already been "partially deleted." I have no idea if this explanation is correct, and if so, how to fix it, but that seems like one possible way to explain why those undeletable PDF carcasses that I couldn't get to load in Adobe Reader have now vanished.

Also, I've just remembered that there were occasions when W7 DID allow me to delete or move an old version of a PDF file, meaning that it no longer showed up in the project subdirectory, but when I subsequently tried to save a new version of that file into the project subdirectory, I got one of the first two error messages shown in my original post, telling me that I couldn't save the file, as that file was already open, read only, or whatever. This would seem to indicate that although the original PDF file no longer showed in the subdirectory after being "deleted" or "moved," it really hadn't yet been fully deleted from that subdirectory, again pointing perhaps to some W7 delay in fully deleting the file. On at least a couple of occasions, if not more, I remember switching in Windows Explorer to another subdirectory, then going back to the project subdirectory again, only to find that the supposedly "deleted" PDF file that hadn't been showing before had reappeared and was once again showing in the file listing.

I hope this extra info is helpful. Again, many thanks for your posts.

Cheers,
    Al
    Last edited by HealingHands33; 2012-11-06 at 18:07.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Retired Geek,

Special thanks for the tip on the "Take Ownership" download. I haven't had an occasion to use it yet, but it's all installed and ready to go next time I come face-to-face with any file that W7 won't let me control. If it works as advertised, it should be super-handy.

Cheers,
    Al

Thanks
    HH,

FYI, just in case you're fairly new to Win-7 often when you delete files in Explorer the display will NOT be updated! I've gotten into the habit of hitting F5 to refresh the display.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    yes retired geek,

my thoughts exactly, looks like we have a layered issue at hand here my friend. Al, you should see if this same issue persists with other documents in the same fashion. if it does...

check this out... Its a common Win7 issue I have personally seen in the past.

check this out for the explorer refresh issue

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-...efreshing.html

as-for the PDF issue, I dont think we're done all the troubleshooting necessary to get a true resolution as of yet.

hope this helps!

Cheers

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, guys. Actually, RetiredGeek, I've not noticed any problem with Win. Explorer not refreshing, as normally files I delete or move disappear instantly, but I appreciate the thought on using F5 to give it a quick refresh. And Creggerj, with regard to other types of documents besides PDFs, I've not noticed any of these issues with any other type of file, nor have I even had these issues with the PDF files until just recently; don't know why.

However, I think my problem with these PDF files is more than a refresh issue. Even if I load a brand new Windows Explorer window and just try to rename one of these problem files, W7 gives me the "Can't/won't do it" message. In short, for whatever reason, when I attempt to delete, move, or rename some of these PDF files, they simply refuse and send up a "Can't/won't do it" message, or else a deleted file does in fact disappear instantly, but either:

A) After "refreshing" Windows Explorer the hard way - by clicking on another subdirectory, then back on the subdirectory from which I deleted the file - the supposedly deleted file reappears and won't die; OR

B) The deleted PDF file does not reappear in the original subdirectory, but if I try to save another version of that PDF file to the filename of the deleted file in that subdirectory, it pops up an error message about "the file may be in use, the file may be read-only, the file may just be having a bad day" or whatever, which implies to me that although the file was supposedly deleted and no longer shows in that subdirectory, W7 apparently hasn't in fact (fully?) deleted that file, thus triggering the "file in use, read-only" error message.

Not sure if that helps make things clearer, but I very much appreciate all your thoughts on this.

Cheers,
    Al

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just a thought Al,

Do you have the preview pane enabled in explorer?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    well man,

doesnt seem like anything is adding up. If I were you, i'd just backup/format/reinstall. I do so about twice sometimes three times a year due to the amount I ...*putter/tinker/hack/crack* whatever you wanna call it. you could have done so with the time spent on this thread thus far. Not saying we`re wasting time. Thats the purpose of it right?

considering the depth of technology/PC's/IT in my personaly life

I keep a solid updated image of windows pfor my PC so I can back up at any time.. not to mention an OFFLINE backup for my important things that I backup on zero-day. I recommend the same to any fellow tinker'er with PC's/web/e...whatever you wanna call it

please keep posting on the issue, I'd be glad to assist

Cheers

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Browni,

Just a thought Al,

Do you have the preview pane enabled in explorer?
    Interesting thought. The best answer I can give is "usually, but not always." If you have any ideas on why/how this might be part or all of the problem, I'd really appreciate knowing them.

Cheers,
    Al

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Creggerj,

If I were you, i'd just backup/format/reinstall.
    I really appreciate the thought, but at the moment I'd rather have a root canal from my dentist. It would be far less painful and take far less time. Yes, I know, to confirmed techies, tinkerers, and geeks it may be no big deal, but even though I've owned and played with computers for 27+ years, right now I'm busier than a one-legged girl in a polka contest and don't have time to get done even a fraction of the things on my desk, so I'll do anything I can at this point to avoid any major overhauls. I might ditch Adobe Reader X, then reload a fresh copy, just in case that helps, or perhaps load up another PDF reader and see if the problems happen when I edit or annotate PDF files in that reader, as both of those possible fixes are very quick to do, but right now the thought of taking the time to do any major surgery on my computer system just gives me buttwillies.

Thanks again for the suggestion. If nothing else works, then of course that's ultimately where I'll probably end up, but for right now, I'll try anything simpler first.

Cheers,
    Al

Thanks
    Al, I have a thought that probably won't change anything, but might be worth trying.

Have you tried a different PDF reader. Adobe Reader has lost favor with many because of it's size and resource hogging. Perhaps something in it's coding is causing your problem.

PDF-Xchange Viewer has free and paid alternatives. I happen to use the paid alternative, but started with the free alternative and it worked well.

Foxit Reader This has received many good recommendations.

Nitro Reader has a free alternative that many here use.

I do not know if any of these would solve your particular problem, but it might be worth a shot.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Ted,

I haven't yet tried another PDF reader, although if this problem persists, that may indeed be the way to go. I had thought of doing that months ago, long before this problem started, and indeed had downloaded the free PDF-Xchange Viewer to try it out, but hadn't really had time to play with it, so it languished in my Download folder. Although I agree that Adobe Reader has become an unnecessarily bloated behemoth of a program, I'd still like to see if I can discover the cause of this problem because I'm not entirely sure that the problem is Adobe Reader and not W7, although since the problem appears to be happening only with PDF files, that seems to point a finger at AR. I'm also puzzled by the fact that it appears to be happening with certain PDF files but not others.

Thanks a lot for the list of alternative PDF programs to try. Without wanting to start any long discussions on the subject, I would value feedback from other Loungers regarding their relative merits. The features that I particularly need in a PDF reader include the ability to attach my signature to a PDF, to add text, to highlight, to add comments, a good search function to enable me to find certain words, and the ability to copy certain parts of the PDF for pasting into other documents. Any recommendations that you or others might be able to make from your experience with alternative PDF readers as to how they stack up against those specs would be very much welcome and appreciated.

Cheers,
    Al

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HealingHands33 View Post
    Hi, Browni,

Interesting thought. The best answer I can give is "usually, but not always." If you have any ideas on why/how this might be part or all of the problem, I'd really appreciate knowing them.

Cheers,
    Al

My reasoning behind this stab in the dark is thus: To show the preview, Windows will need to invoke a preview handler program. If this program is misbehaving and keeping the file open whilst you are working on it elsewhere you will not be able to replace/delete it.

As I say, it's a stab in the dark.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast