Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    I have tried both PDF-Xchange Viewer and Foxit Reader. I had a problem with some website PDF files and Foxit Reader. PDF-Xchange Viewer came out with an update for Win 8 and since I already owned a license for it that also allow PDF Lite 4 (for modifying PDF's) that settled the matter for me and Win 8. I have never tried Nitro Reader.

The Win 8 PDF Viewer was too simplistic for me.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My reasoning behind this stab in the dark is thus: To show the preview, Windows will need to invoke a preview handler program. If this program is misbehaving and keeping the file open whilst you are working on it elsewhere you will not be able to replace/delete it.

As I say, it's a stab in the dark.
    Hi, Browni,

That stab in the dark may have just shed some light! I can't be sure without testing, but that would certainly help explain why the problem doesn't occur consistently, but only sometimes. I'll have to wait until the problem next occurs when I'm working with a PDF using Adobe Reader X, then note whether the preview pane is open or closed. If it's open, I'll then experiment with closing it and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for the great idea. I don't know yet whether it will prove to be correct, but if I get any definitive results, I'll be sure to post them.

Cheers,
    Al
    Windows 7 Pro, 64-Bit, SP1 on desktop
    Windows XP/Media Edition, SP3 on Dell laptop
    Windows 7 Home Premium, 32-bit, SP1 on HP Mini 5103
    Samsung Galaxy S2 running JB 4.1.2

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have tried both PDF-Xchange Viewer and Foxit Reader. I had a problem with some website PDF files and Foxit Reader. PDF-Xchange Viewer came out with an update for Win 8 and since I already owned a license for it that also allow PDF Lite 4 (for modifying PDF's) that settled the matter for me and Win 8. I have never tried Nitro Reader.
    Hi, Ted,

Thanks for the evaluation. I just downloaded the current version of the PDF-Xchange Viewer and gave it a quick test drive on a scrap PDF document. It seems to have an excellent set of mark-up tools, which is important for my purposes, although the free version doesn't allow adding digital signatures, for which I'll still need Adobe Reader X unless I decide to purchase the full version of PDFXV.

As to the Win8 PDF viewer, I probably won't see that until W7 is no longer supported in 2020 or whenever. In my experience, W7 has proven to be quite stable and reasonably well designed, so because I tend to go with the philosophy that "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," I'll probably ride this W7 horse till it drops. Besides, so far I've heard rather mixed initial reviews on W8, so I'd wait at least a couple of years in any case until the pros and the adventurous public have played with it, then see what the reviews are at that time. In the meantime, I'll use W7 and whatever third-party PDF software seems to do the job best.

Thanks again for the info.

Cheers,
    Al

Star Lounger
    Thanks

This is a "new" problem with Acrobat

Hi Everyone:
    I have recently been having the same problem with some PDFs not allowed to be saved after changes from Acrobat Pro (not Reader). This has been saving as it should until very recently, and I have no idea what changed. Must be a background update from something, but I don't believe its from Acrobat itself, as I seem to remember it working well after the update to v10.1.4 and "broke" sometime later.

Not sure if that helps, but its one more data point to be considered...

Rob

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Rob,

Thanks for posting that info. It's nice to know that I'm not alone in having had this problem; I guess misery loves company!

The problem I posted about has not happened again since I finished the big project I was working on, so I've been unable to test it further. I'm still not sure what the problem was, but if it recurs, I'll post any new info in the hope that one of the wiser heads in the Lounge than mine (which is everybody) may be able to come up with an answer.

If you get any further clues, by all means please post them, as I'd like to know what causes this problem and how to avoid it in the future.

BTW, if anybody has had significant experience with the new Adobe Reader Xl version, I'd really appreciate your feedback, pro or con. I'm still using Reader X for some functions while I test other PDF programs and I've wondered if updating AR X to AR Xl would be a good idea or if it would be a case of jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Cheers,
    Al

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Definitely XI.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Dogberry,

Thanks for posting your "vote." I'm always a bit cautious about jumping into new software until a bit of time has gone by and I can get a sense of what the reviews are generally like.

Cheers,
    Al

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    XI. XI XXV MMXII

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, W7 is acting up with PDF files again, and this time I have a screenshot that perhaps may help. I renamed a scan to "Printer problem.pdf", but then saw that I needed to rescan at a different resolution, which I did. I next deleted the old "Printer problem.pdf" file, then tried to rename the new scan, which had been given the default sequential number assigned by my scanner, to "Printer problem.PDF", but W7 wouldn't let me, and instead gave me the following message:

W7 won't save PDF.png

Even though I had deleted the old PDF file by that name, W7 apparently isn't recognizing that deletion, because if I click "Yes" in the message, it just pops up the same window again, telling me that there is already a file by that name, and it won't let me overwrite that file. Then, just now (about 5 minutes later), when I finally click "No" to get rid of the message, I see that there is a file named "Printer problem.pdf" back in the subdirectory, but when I right-click on it, the Delete option has the little blue and yellow shield next to it, and W7 is petulantly demanding special permission for me to remove the file. In the past, even my confirmation as the Administrator that I wanted the file deleted has not been enough; this time, however, for some reason this time the old file did finally disappear and was replaced by the new file named, inexplicably, just "Printer.pdf".

I'm not sure what's going on, but for some reason W7 doesn't appear to be allowing the PDF files to be deleted when I tell it to do so, nor will it allow me to use the name of the (supposedly) deleted file in that subdirectory, nor will it allow me to overwrite the old PDF file with a given name with a new file with that same name.

It didn't take me long to get here, but I am at my wit's end. Any thoughts from those with longer wits will be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Al

New Lounger
    Thanks
    As long as we're stabbing in the dark, here's a thought:

I have noticed that XP (which I still use the most) will keep a "deleted" file around, as long as there is some program that hasn't terminated that had that file open. Any attempt to open the file will fail (as here), and when the offending program is terminated (or the system rebooted), the file disappears promptly.

Maybe you should try a reboot or try to figure out if some other program may have the file opened. If you have a Preview of it visible, the culprit could maybe be Explorer?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffiekins View Post
    As long as we're stabbing in the dark, here's a thought:

I have noticed that XP (which I still use the most) will keep a "deleted" file around, as long as there is some program that hasn't terminated that had that file open. Any attempt to open the file will fail (as here), and when the offending program is terminated (or the system rebooted), the file disappears promptly.

Maybe you should try a reboot or try to figure out if some other program may have the file opened. If you have a Preview of it visible, the culprit could maybe be Explorer?
    Thanks for the thought, but I've tried closing all Windows Explorer windows, but to no avail. As to rebooting, sure, that will work, but I have a problem with that. Call me crazy, but it seems to me that if users have to reboot their computers just to be able to delete a file, that constitutes a major flaw in Windows, which in turn means that it's WAY past time for Micro$oft to get off its great big corporate behind and actually FIX the problem instead of leaving users all over the world struggling to find workarounds.

But I guess I don't really have an opinion on this; better mark me down as undecided............

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 1,057 Posts
    Try Unlock It.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Thanks ruirib. I'll give that a try next time I have the problem. In case it's helpful to anyone, I've also found Unlocker, another file unlocking program that even claims to have features that Unlock It doesn't, though I haven't yet had occasion to use this program either. Their comparison of features of the various programs is on this page.

Cheers,
    Al

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 1,057 Posts
    I have used UnlockIt after someone suggested it to solve a problem with a specific app and it worked fine. It actually works in a way that makes sense, at least to me.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sounds good. I'll be eager to try both programs on the next few occasions when the problem occurs and see if I can notice any differences between them.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast