Lounger
    Thanks

Win & Backup Can't Change Settings

I use Windows 7 Backup and it meets my needs. Recently, I found that I am unable to change the settings. If I click on Manage Space or Change Settings on the Backup and Restore page, nothing happens. Fortunately, I can go through Task Scheduler and change the settings there but that requires a rather complicated series of steps to do so.
    I have checked to see that the proper services are on automatic and running. I have run SFC /scannow to no avail. Googling the problem produces a number of similar problems but no solutions.
    I am running Win 7 x64.

34 Bergzicht Flats, 4 Gordon Road, Somerset West, South Africa. 7130. Western Cape
    Thanks
    I have even worse problems with Windows 7 Pro Backup: nothing works. There are hundreds of posts on the Microsoft USA Forum about users having the same problem: a dysfunctional Backup system, where clicking buttons produces no response. Anyone know of a fix?
    Robert Bowen

34 Bergzicht Flats, 4 Gordon Road, Somerset West, South Africa. 7130. Western Cape
    Thanks
    Thank you for your two posts in Vietnamese, but non comprehendo! Sorry!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Robert,

The fix, as has often been stated in this forum, is to use a 3rd party backup program. I'm happy with EaseUS Todo Backup, others use Macrium Reflect, some swear by Acronis (however, many others swear AT it - if you use Acronis, keep it simple & manual/unscheduled) - but almost all are in agreement that Windows Backup is kludgy, unreliable, nonintuitive & inflexible.

The Vietnamese post was spam.

Zig

Thanks
    Thanks so much Zig. Yes, I agree with your contention that the Win 7 Backup and Restore is a mess: although thousands of posts on many Forums, including Microsoft's USA and SA Forums, have sought a fix, Microsoft has done nothing about it, for obvious reasons. There are quite a few posts on MS's USA Forum about Acronis TI giving users many problems.

I have all the third party backups you mention, but in my inexperience I find them difficult to use. Not so many years ago, if someone had said "Gigabyte" or "Megabyte" to me, I would have thought I was being insulted!

I suspected those two Vietnamese posts were spam - I'm pleased to have my suspicions confirmed - thanks...

Well, you have convinced me to forget about the W.7 Backup facility and learn to use a free one. techsupportalert.com has reviewed some free ones, Backup Maker being their number one choice. Best wishes, Bob.