5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't Access User Files After Using WET

I used Windows Easy Transfer to move a friend's data files from her old XP computer to her new Win7 PC. Used the external hard drive transfer. She says she can't open any of her files, like Word docs. Any idea what might have happened? And how I can fix it?

Thanks
    Sounds like a permissions problem. See:
    http://www.blogsdna.com/2159/how-to-...-windows-7.htm

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    It may be a problem of file ownership / permissions. In Windows 7, Take Ownership can be used, to make them owned by the current Windows 7 user. This should be done with the problematic files. Once Take Ownership is installed, she can simply select the files she wants, right click and then choose Take Ownership. It can be downloaded from here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...-shortcut.html

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    >>It may be a problem of file ownership / permissions. In Windows 7,

I expect so, and I'll take a look at the program you suggested. If I can use it on folders, like Documents, that should solve her problem. Do you know if this is "standard" result of using WET? Would I have avoided this problem if I'd done a cable or network transfer instead?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    The problem would occur all the same, whether you used cable or network transfer. Even an in place migration would cause it.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Unless one originally did not make the user account files Private in XP, it would happen. I always make sure not to make the files private or save only in the All users account so I never have permissions issues in any transfer. Win 7 is a different story as it inherently applies the equivalent of private ownership to files. It still works to save files to the Public folders but even files moved from individual user accounts in 7 to the public folders will retain the original users permissions.