New Lounger
    Thanks

Alt+F etc. opens menus. Alt+E or V only highlight (2000 SR-1)

Has anyone seen this:

Working in any document, Alt + highlighted letter opens the menu item. Alt+W gives Window menu, Alt+H Help menu etc.
    But pressing Alt+E or Alt+V the edit or view menus don't open! They only highlight the Menu top bits.
    So the shortcuts like Alt+E, then S (paste special) and Alt+V, then N (normal view) that worked in W97 don't anymore.

If anyone knows how to turn this 'feature' off let me know. Apologies if this is a well known 'feature' and i'm behind the times....

Harv

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Alt combination hotkeys for menus

Hi Harvey:

It sounds like you have more than one menu/toolbar button that has an "e" or a "v" as the assigned letter. I have Word 2000, & Alt+E & Alt+V open the respective menus. What happens if you press it twice?

Normally, you can find out what command a hotkey is assigned to by going to Tools/Customize.../ & clicking the keyboard button. then you simply type in the shortcut key using any combination of one or more of the Alt, Ctrl, & Shift keys plus your letter. However, you can't use the shift key by itself with a letter (it's reserved for capitals), numbers on the main keyboard, & numpad 5.

In your case, that probably won't help. If Alt+E or Alt+V were assigned to another command, that command would run or you'd hear a "ding". Since it doesn't work that way out of the box, check to see if you named more than one menu or toolbar button with the same hotkey.

The shortcut keys work like this:

1. If a menu or toolbar button have an underlined letter, it means they are named with an ampersand before that letter.

2. If there is only one menu or toolbar that has a unique letter or number after the ampersand, then that menu or toobar button will activate when you press Alt+"letter or number" (where I refer to a letter below, it will also include using a number). It will also open (menu) or activate (toolbar button) if you press Alt, "letter".

In the former case, you are holding the Alt key while you press the letter. In the latter case, you are pressing and releasing the Alt key & then pressing the letter.

<big><font color=red>Note the advantage this has</font color=red></big>. You can define shortcut keys using Alt+letter & still activate menus by pressing Alt,letter. e.g. you can define Alt+F to insert a text form field & still use Alt,F to open the File menu.

3. If more than one menu or toolbar button has the same hot letter assigned, then pressing the Atl key & the letter merely places the focus on the menu/button. Pressing it again will cycle through all the menu/buttons with this name.

It is for that reason that it's best to name commands with a unique letter after the ampersand. Note that you can use the same letter on commands within different menus without causing a conflict.

To check what hotkeys are assigned to menus & toolbar buttons, do the following:

1. Go to Tools/Customize... (or right-click any toolbar & choose Customize...). A dialog box opens.

2. If you now right-click any menu or toolbar button, a context menu opens (Word calls them shortcut menus).

3. Here you can rename a menu or toolbar button. You can also place, remove, or change an ampersand in the name.

In your case, you want to find what menus or toolbar buttons are assigned to the same hotkey.

Hope this helps.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Alt combination hotkeys for menus

Thanks Phil

You're right! I've got a custom toolbar, and the shortcuts clash. Alt + E is also for 'HTML source', and Alt + V is for 'View Draft'. If I press E or V twice, the focus moves to them. As I don't use them that often I'll remove them from the toolbar. When I figure out how to set the shortcuts not to clash i'll have them again!

Thanks

Harvey