New Lounger
    Thanks

Post Lincoln Spector's 1/26/12 article on separating data from OS & Apps

I successfully followed this article through the steps of shrinking my C partition and establishing and naming a new partition (F:\Data) to achieve my goal of separating my data from my Win 7 OS and my apps. From that point Lincoln provides directions for moving 7's My Docs, Music, Pictures, etc. from my Personal Folder to the new partition by going to the folder's Location tab and replacing the C: with the drive letter of the new location (F: in my case). My problem is that after I installed 7 a couple of years ago, I established a folder on C: named "My Data" and sub-folders for My Docs, Music, Pictures, etc. I preferred to know where my stuff was going instead of 7 deciding for me. When I click My Data folder and Properties, there is no "Location" tab, so I cannot follow Lincoln's instructions at this point.

I am only a little above 'Basic' in computer knowledge, and so I am reluctant to try what I think might work for fear of really messing something up, so I have two questions (and of course any other suggestions you may have).

1. Is there any reason why I should not simply move 'My Data' folder (84.6 GB) to the new 'F:|Data' folder (92.6 GB)?

2. Once I do have my data moved, is there any reason that 7's My Docs, Music, Pictures, etc. must also be moved from my Personal folder to F:?

Sorry to be so wordy, but my brain insists that I try to be clear. Thank you very much for your help.

Richard

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Richard,

There is no reason you can't just move your "My Data" folder to the F: drive. Be aware though that any program such as Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, etc) that you have set to save to your "My Data" folder will have to be reset in the Options menus to F:\My Data.

Yes, I would still move your standard Documents folder, via the Location tab, to the F: drive since many programs default to the folders contained therein and this will keep all your data on the F: drive.

Post back if you have more questions.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

RAH (2012-11-07)

Thanks
    I guess I do not follow you. You say you installed Win 8 a couple of years ago and set up a separate Data Folder into which you have placed data. What Data? Second you also say earlier this year you used Lincoln's advice (I have used this procedure for years) to move your personal folders to a newly created F Drive.

What data is in the data folder? I assume your My Documents, Music, Pictures, Favorites etc from the User/Username folders on the C Drive to the F Drive.

The reason the Data Folder has no Location tab is this is not a System created folder. It is a User created folder.

1) If the data in the Data folder is app data, the pointers to that folder for all your data have to be changed to the F Drive. What you should be able to do is copy and paste the folder to the F Drive, but when you open the apps to use that data, you will have to tell the app where the data is located because you are changing the default location.

2) If you have already moved the System data folder (MY Docs, Music, Pics) to the data drive, just leave it there.

The reason we move these data folders to a separate drive (partition) is that if our OS crashes and has to be restored or rebuilt (reinstalled) our data is unaffected. Once you reinstall Win 7 you just have to tell everything where the data is located. The data is safe (Unless of course the whole HD fries, in that case you better hope your data is backed up somewhere off PC) Having data on the Data folder on the C Drive negates the advantages of moving the user folders to the Data Drive.

I guess RG was faster than me. I hope my answer expands upon his answer.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-11-07 at 15:07.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

RAH (2012-11-07)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply, Medico. You ask "What Data"? It is all data which I have acquired or created, e.g., photos, music, documents. Much of the stuff is what MS OneNote (which I am now learning) is designed to do. Within 'My Data" I have about 25 sub-folders for photos, music, etc. and sub-folders within sub-folders. One sub-folder is "Richard's Documents" into which I have all documents which I have made, e.g., MS Word or created by copying and modifying from web pages. There is no "App Data" in My Data. I don't need to tell an app where the data is as the extension does that. Sorry I was unclear in my first post.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, Retired Geek; that's just what I wanted to know.

Thanks
    I was just confused because most of the data you have in your Data Folder is the data that normally resides in the folders you moved to the Data drive.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Retired Geek,

You said "post back" if I have another question, so I am doing that by clicking 'Reply.' I have successfully moved my "My Data" folder to my new partition F. I then went back to C and shrunk it further. However, it only allowed me to shrink it a very small portion of the Free Space. This amount is enough for my present purpose, but would you know why there is still 107 GB of free space that I cannot shrink?
    After the shrinking I tried to extend my new partition F into this unallocated adjacent space, but when I click on "Extend Volume" I find that it is grayed out, so nothing happens. There must be an intermediate step that L. Spector did not mention; would you know what it is? Thank you.
    Richard

Thanks
    If you are using the Disk Manager built into Win 7, it is somewhat basic and is not able to resize a partition forward, only backward. To increase the size of the data partition into the unallocated space you will need to use a 3rd party partitioning app. I always recommend Partition Wizard mini tool home edition (free)

To expand (resize) a partition forward into unallocated space involves moving the data in the present partition to the front of the new expanded partition. This has to be done outside Windows. When you click Apply, Windows reboots and the changes are made in essentially a Dos environment. Using Partition Wizard is easy, you just grab the edge of the partition and drag it to a new location (either left side or right side depending on how you wish to change the size).

PartitionWizard.jpg

This screen shot just shows how to change the size of a partition. In your case you would see unallocated space in front of the Data Drive. Just grab the left border and drag it fully to the left.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Richard,

What Ted {Medico} said! He beat me to the draw again.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Ya gotta be quick RG
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted