5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Keeping in touch: Facebook versus LinkedIn

BEST HARDWARE

By Ryan Matthew Pierson

For millions of Internet denizens, Facebook and LinkedIn are crucial for keeping in touch with scattered friends, family, and business contacts.
    Although the two services have a lot in common, what you use them for will determine which is more worthy of your time.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/best-practices/keeping-in-touch-facebook-versus-linkedin/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen Atkins View Post

BEST HARDWARE

By Ryan Matthew Pierson

For millions of Internet denizens, Facebook and LinkedIn are crucial for keeping in touch with scattered friends, family, and business contacts.
    Although the two services have a lot in common, what you use them for will determine which is more worthy of your time.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/best-practices/keeping-in-touch-facebook-versus-linkedin/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Hi there,
    I am a confirmed LinkedIn user, but find it most useful for the professional groups I am a member of: one thing your article didn't draw out. Additionally, the new LinkedIn layout looks more like a CV, giving others a very good idea of your skills. I find that LinkedIn is more designed for professionals who are wanting to connect in a work-like context. The YouTube LinkedIn “InTip” team’s clips are also very good for helping users complete their profile (eg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNl9RVrXLhM). You can gather endorsements from those who know your work and your personal networks may provide 1st or 2nd degree links to organisations where you are seeking work or a connection, allowing a trusted third party to broker on your behalf. Creating networks in themselves and becoming active in groups can enhance your reputation long before you are ready to seek that next job, and have you head-hunted for your dream job, not having to look.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I really enjoy the groups feature of LinkedIn, and mentioned it in the article. Here's the excerpt: "Like Facebook, LinkedIn has a powerful groups platform that allows you to connect with a number of professionals with which you share a mutual bond. I'm a member of a mastermind group of entrepreneurs and technology professionals, and we use LinkedIn groups as a primary platform of communication."

I've found LinkedIn to be an invaluable asset when communicating business-related matters. Facebook has always been more about casual communication for me. The new interface takes some getting used to, but I totally agree that it's quite useful for gathering endorsements and sharing your skillset with potential employers.

Thanks for reading, Klinkehoffen. I look forward to interacting with you more.
    Last edited by RyanMPierson; 2012-11-08 at 04:15. Reason: ending

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up My Thoughts

Thanks for your article. Found it and its links very timely! I'm grappling with the whole LinkedIn - Facebook dilemma (not the best word choice) in our 2 person business. We initially tried to "do" all key social media (Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube), omitting only Twitter as we knew we didn't have the resources for that yet. Quickly discovered that even that was too big a bite to do properly. Have just decided to focus on LinkedIn because of its business slant. On top of that, a number of individuals in one of our target markets are there which allows us to connect with them. We're now working on joining relevant groups and seeking followers. Once we feel comfortable we're "on top" of LinkedIn, we'll get back to Facebook. Keeping up with even one is amazingly time-consuming (although I see that being more controllable once a rhythm has been established). Have to admit, however, that it is challenging to keep to our decision because there is so much press on Facebook!

In case it's new to you or might help someone else, Social Media Marketing (hope link works!) - which I joined only last week - looks very informative. The guys who lead it have some intro videos which I really liked.

Linda