New Lounger
    Thanks

Win8 Generic Display Driver Distorting

Hi,
    After installing Win 8 on my old (2005) Dell Latitude 6000 WinXP system all is running very well except the Display. The Win 8 recommended screen resolution is 1024 X 768 but pc is capable of 1280 x 1024. At either setting the display really distorts photos by stretching out the width & lowering the height. My old ATI Radeon X300 Graphics is designated as compatible with Win8 on MS Comparability Site but when Win8 installed it replaced my original drivers with Windows generic drivers, both Display adapters & Monitor. Ive checked the Google, Windows, AMD and Dell sites for a better choice/solution but they essentially say this graphics card is no longer supported. Ive also tried a bunch of things (installing original/other drivers) but nothing will work. Ive got no clue as how to get the display back its native resolution. Any feedback would be much appreciated to finalize an otherwise successful install????
    Roger

Thanks
    Try using the latest drivers shown that is compatible. It appears ATI shows that Windows Vista drivers are the latest. You could try these.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your investigation - I just tried your suggestion and it finishes the install without errors. Unfortunately, I do not know enough about this stuff to understand it. When I go into Device Manager and see the Display Adapters it shows the driver as Radeon X300 (driver date 8/3/2005) which I did successfully re-install trying to replace the MS Basic Display Driver (6/21/2006) which Win8 installed. Then I go to Control Panel > Advanced Settings > Adapter > Properties and it says the driver is really the MS Basic Display Driver (6/21/2006.) In both places the Monitor remains the new Generic PnP Monitor. So, I believe when I install any other driver even though it appears to install successfully & without error, in reality nothing is changing and the screen remains under control of MS Basic/Generic drivers which really do distort pictures/photos by stretching them. Roger

Thanks
    Your card may not be able to work well in Win 8, sorry. It does not appear that any newer drivers are going to be developed for this graphics card.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If that's the case, which I believe - even though Win8 says erroneously that the Graphics Card is compatible (not).....my final question is, Do you think after I restore WinXP onto the laptop, can I then re-use the same Win8 license key and re-do the upgrade assistant (i did not create an .iso file) to my desktop Win7 64-bit system ??

Thanks
    You should be able to do this, but I would strongly recommend saving the file and burning a DVD. This will then give you access to the installation media for future use.

You very well might have to contact MS support to allow you to activate Win 8 Pro on the new PC. What I would do is use the link near the top of the email receipt you received from MS to start the process over from your Win 7 PC. In this way you will not have to go through the purchase process again. Then after you burn the DVD, you can use the desktop icon to perform the installation. The problem might be in activating the installation until you call MS with the problem.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Will do - very helpful and much appreciated - Thanks.

Thanks
    You are indeed welcome. I hope things work out well for you.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    For drivers and devices in Windows 8 where you wish to use Legacy Drivers, the device and the driver must be set to be working in Compatibility Mode. In this case, you want to set things to Vista Compatibility Mode. Device Compatibility and Driver Compatibility may have to be set separately. There's a Compatibility Tab on the Device Properties within the Device Manager if Compatibility Modes are available. I did do this with my NVidia sub-system until MS Updates started getting decent NVidia drivers. They are farther behind with ATI drivers.

I got my NVidia Drivers from my Windows 7 installation using the Backup Module from DriverMax and then unZIPping the Archive when I copied it to the Windows 8 Desktop. From that Desktop, the Win 8 Device Manager picked up the drivers like it was a Local Disk. Upon rebooting, the NVidia sub-system listed correctly with the correct drivers.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-11-09 at 08:04.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, you gave me renewed hope so I tried and tried once more. I cant get the driver installed (that I know of) because Microsoft Basic Display Adapter remains the driver on record in Device Manager. However, something new and seemingly positive did happen - MS Basic Display Adapter now recognizes the Chip Type: as ATI Mobility Radeon (M24) and the DAC Type: as AI Technologies. Previous to this attempt they always displayed as unavailable/unknown. So, I think its progress and I am happier to have tried. Thanks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggsf View Post
    Well, you gave me renewed hope so I tried and tried once more. I cant get the driver installed (that I know of) because Microsoft Basic Display Adapter remains the driver on record in Device Manager. However, something new and seemingly positive did happen - MS Basic Display Adapter now recognizes the Chip Type: as ATI Mobility Radeon (M24) and the DAC Type: as AI Technologies. Previous to this attempt they always displayed as unavailable/unknown. So, I think its progress and I am happier to have tried. Thanks.
    Little steps. But you'll probably have to wait awhile for a fully Windows 8 compatible driver.
    -- Bob Primak --