New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 would not boot following new motherboard install

I have never had this problem in windows 7 before - it always just worked. I put in a new motherboard/cpu when the old one died and expected windows 7 to hunt for drivers. It would not boot. I eventually had to do a clean install (something I did not want to do as this was a computer I was repairing for a friend and i didn't want to lose his programs. I could not do an 'upgrade' install as the computer would not boot. I used a win 7 sp1 disk of the same operating system type and still no joy when trying to do a repair.

The question is this: Did I miss something? Is there a way to get this job done without having to do a total reinstall? I am losing my patience with Microsoft as each new operating system is less user friendly when problems occur as they seem more interested in their DRM than having happy customers. It seems totally unfiar that one can not repair an installation unless the thing boots! That is often the reason it is needed in the first place.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this.

Dave

Thanks
    For a non-booting system, the boot repair using the startup disk should be run at least three times in succession. It is not a fine-grained tool, and it seems that it repairs the first thing it finds, and then returns to the options screen.

For best results, reboot to the repair disk after each run. Don't try to boot from the hard drive until the repair has been run at least three times.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2012-11-08 at 09:25.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    It really depends on how different the motherboard drivers are. I've always had a mixed bag with trying to run Windows after swapping motherboards. I don't think Windows 7 is any different there. Its usually recommended to uninstall all devices on the old motherboard first but in your case, the motherboard died so you didn't have that option. Did you try to boot into safe mode? If you got in there, you could uninstall drivers there.

Jerry

Thanks
    The motherboard would need to be the exact make/model and revision number or your going to hit a wall when it comes to drivers.
    This should have been a clean install right from the start, and you/he should have been prepared for that probability.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    The other problem that may crop up after the reinstall is that this large change may cause the OS to not activate. The OP will most probably have to contact MS for activation help.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    There are products that claim to handle these situations, imaging apps that claim to be able to restore to different hardware. I have had mixed experiences with those.

Anyway, as explained by others, this is not really an unexpected situation. Just a couple weeks ago, I was made aware of a Windows XP reinstall being needed just because a disk was replaced by an SSD.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you to those who offered support. Most comments, although not answering the apparently unanswerable question, where interesting. I repair computers and would never do a destructive install unless it was completely necessary and without making an image to recover any personal info if necessary. Up through XP you could do a repair install which kept programs installed even if the system was not bootable. Not the case with win 7 (not sure about Vista as I would never put that on a machine). I still firmly believe that not having an option to do a repair install on a non-booting machine is thoughtless on the part of Microsoft and is unforgivable. An identical board was not available and an internet search seemed to indicate the problem that killed the original board was quite prevalent. I expected driver problems but not the inability to get passed the original windows start screen.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Did you install all the drivers that normally come with a motherboard. Some times you can do this before installing windows from the CD. But not always.This might have given the drivers needed for Bios to recognise the HDD and allow the startup repair option.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    That's just one of the long list of reasons I like XP Pro so much. I had three old irreplaceable mobos bite the dust this year. It was trivial to move the installation drive to another system (going from AMD-based to Intel-based in a couple instances), install the new drivers and continue on.
    It's another potential piracy hole though because what if folks just moved (copied) an install to another system regardless of mobo status.