New Lounger
    Thanks

Anyone know the implications of "FOR DISTRIBUTION IN US ONLY" - in the UK?

I suspect that the installation of Windows 7, by someone in UK, using a disk labelled "FOR DISTRIBUTION IN US ONLY", might be fraught with problems.

But does anyone happen to know what the actual implications would be?

Would it install? I don't see why not, but, for a start, UK keyboards are different.

More seriously, would one be able to register it validly? Could one expect any Microsoft support? Or sympathy?

Any other technical implications?

I may seem a bit over-cautious, but I'm disinclined to have anything to do with it.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It probably would work OK but all up dates offered would likely be for US problems not UK problems. Not only that it means what it says and would be illegal to install outside of US.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    One tip I found elsewhere is to install on a non-critical partition and run MGADiag.exe, before going any further. But whether that was based on actual experience I don't know.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Its concieveable that as soon as its connected to the Internet it will flag itself as not being "genuine software". Which would prevent any updates from installing, and prevent activation.
    Chuck

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Doc, but I'm well aware of most of the possibilities. No disrespect, but what I'm after is the voice of experience. I do have MGADiag.exe available.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I suspect that you would have no problem installing - indeed I suspect that all CDs are the same, regardless of source. And anyway, you could download the latest version from Windows 7 Direct Download Links
    The problem would probably arise when you tried to activate. The version I have states "Activation must occur in certain countries/regions within Southeast Asia excluding Singapore". I guess that the product key identifies the restrictions. My guess (sorry, no experience) is that if you try to activate from a non-US IP, on-line activation will probably fail. You'll then need to activate by phone, which might involve some searching questions...

Chris

Thanks
    The problem is probably related to the European version versus the US version. The European version of Win 7 does not include a default browser because of some lawsuits brought on when MS included IE in Win 7 in Europe. MS was fined some pretty hefty fines for including IE in some SP1 versions sold in Europe and consequently considers these things as very important.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wartaaids View Post
    ... you could download the latest version from Windows 7 Direct Download Links
    Fascinating! I certainly didn't know about that. But
    Quote Originally Posted by wartaaids View Post
    You'll then need to activate by phone, which might involve some searching questions...
    I can imagine!

Funnily enough, although I'd get IE, the only time I use it is when neither Opera (default browser) nor Firefox can render a page correctly, which hardly ever happens. So I'd be getting something I'd be happy without!
    Last edited by oakdale; 2012-11-12 at 05:46.