Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

WebSetup.exe (Windows 8 Setup File)

The file in the title of this thread, for which there is a shortcut on my Win 7 desktop,is in the folder C:\Users\Roy\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WebSetup\Sour ces, which is a Subfolder of WebSetup.I assume that when I installed Win 8 on a separate partition the WebSetup folder was automatically created on my Win 7 partition as part of the installation process. Is that correct? Also, since I keep up to date images of the Win 8 partition (using Macrium Reflect Professional edition) can I safely delete the WebSetup folder from Win 7?

Apart from the above, in the root directory of my Win 7 C drive there is a C:\ESD\Windows\setup.exe file, and the Details pane of Properties shows the product version as 6.2.9200.16384, exactly the same version as the WebSetup.exe file referred to above. Is this just a coincidence?

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards, Roy
    Last edited by royw; 2012-11-08 at 10:29.
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    I don't allow default download locations; I always use "Save As" on the download bar and route downloads to a data partition.

You don't specify, but I'm assuming that you are dual-booting Windows 7 and Windows 8 ("...a shortcut on my Win 7 desktop"). If you have Windows 8 installed and running, and using imaging software, there's no reason to keep the installation folder/files.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

royw (2012-11-08)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi bbearren, I too always use "Save As" and route downloads to a data partition.

I downloaded Win 8 and installed it on a separate partition, using a dvd created from the .iso file. Since it is on a separate partition I was surprised to find the installation folder/files on the Win 7 partition.

I will now delete the installation folder/files for Win 8 from the Win 7 partition, and thank you for confirming it's ok to do so.

Regards, Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Since you used Win 7 to download the ISO file, the installation files will be there. Good for you to create the DVD. Everyone should, if nothing else than to have an Installation media in the future. Plus this will give access to the Repair Console through Repair My PC.

I did not have these files since once I burned the DVD, I booted to it, then formatted my Win 7 partition during the Win 8 installation and Custom (Clean) installed Win 8 Pro.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I bought Windows 8 because of the price. I also ordered it on disk. I found where it was downloaded and copied that subdir. onto a DVD. I have not yet installed 8. I am assuming I can install 8, when I'm ready, either from the icon on my Desktop, or from the DVD? Am I correct? I'm also assuming that the OS works with a usual monitor if you don't have the touchy kind? I ran the upgrade program to determine what would not work and only 9 programs would not, but I installed 5 that were upgrades. I'm still hesitant about installing this early. I can remember when folks didn't buy a new car when a new edition came out until all the bugs had been worked out of it. I'm still in that mode with a new OS.

Thanks
    Not from the DVD unless you actually burned the ISO file to the DVD. Right Click and choose Burn Disk Image. Just copying the ISO file to DVD will not work because the DVD has to be bootable to boot to it and install Win 8. Copying the ISO file to DVD does not make it bootable.

You can read the many threads here to check how well it works. I have 2 conventional laptops with keyboards and mice and NO TOUCH capabilities. Win 8 works better than Win 7 for me.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Morning ! How to access an "elevated" cmd level in Win -8 sans the start orb ? I was looking for this a few days ago.

I did one clone yesterday to a USB 160 GBs HD. I now need to clone back to the regular 500 GBs HD as a C:\, the test HD is only 80 GBs and at 5000 RPM will be replaced for a 7200 RPM SATA. More later. Jean.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Morning ! How to access an "elevated" cmd level in Win -8 sans the start orb ? I was looking for this a few days ago.

I did one clone yesterday to a USB 160 GBs HD. I now need to clone back to the regular 500 GBs HD as a C:\, the test HD is only 80 GBs and at 5000 RPM will be replaced for a 7200 RPM SATA. More later. Jean.
    If by elevated you mean run cmd as an administrator, open a Windows Explorer window (Windows Key + R), navigate to C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe right click on cmd.exe, and select Run as Administrator. once the cmd.exe window is open, go to the icon on the task bar, right click on it and select Pin to Taskbar.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Prescott, hello.
    Thanks for a quick reply. I have it printed for further references. Not a very intuitive way to reach this cmd but it will do. Jean.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Me again, Prescott. Your explanation got me thinking . . . here is what I found. I got to All Apps, WinK + Q, and right clicked on the Command Prompt icon and it also gave me that option to run as Administrator, a shorter way to get to it. You stimulated my neurons, good on you. Jean.

Thanks
    I have a shortcut on my desktop for Command Prompt. Right-click a blank area of the desktop, select New > Shortcut, then browse to C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe. Next, I named it Command Prompt, then Finish.

Right-click on this new shortcut gives the option "Run as administrator". And of course, "Pin to Start", as well as "Pin to Taskbar" are also options. For now, the desktop shortcut is fine for me.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post

JP, Win + X, you will see Command Prompt (Admin) Very quick in this manner.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Right click on lower left corner on desktop. Opens power users menu with command prompt run as admin right there. Just 2 clicks.

Thanks
    Right click on lower left corner on desktop. Opens power users menu with command prompt run as admin right there. Just 2 clicks.
    Works as long as you don't kill the annoying hot spots with Classic Shelll as I did.

Jerry

Thanks
    I did not kill the Hotspots, but instead hid the Charms Bar. This works fine for me although I do not use the Right Click in the corner. I use the Win + X.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted