New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs down Very slow WiFi speeds on Windows 8?

Hi all, I'm back again.

Been having wifi problems with windows 8 since day one with my PackardBell Easynote TK85. It's a huge downfall for me cuz I do a lot of video/ audio streaming.

I have a Broadcom Wireless 802.11N Network Card.

Before winows 8, I would generally get speeds of between 3.25mbps dwn and 4 mbps down speed.

But since the upgrade, I've been extremly lucky to even get 0.80 mbps down speed. Terrible speeds.

But when I plug my laptop in to my router (via CAT5 Ethernet cable), I'm getting my old speeds of 3.2 -> 4 mbps down.

I have done a lot of trouble shooting and it appears that the problem lies between my network card and my router.

On all my other devices (Other laptop, tabet, phone) I still get my 4mpbs down, so the problem is not the router. It's something to do with my laptop.

And funny enough, this problem started the moment I first used windows 8.

I'm guessing it's a driver problem. But who knows when Broadcom will update this.

Funny note to add.... When I am in my girlfriends house on wifi, I get 4mbps down speed on my iPhone and iPad and other laptop, and I ALSO get 4mbps down speed on my current Windows 8 laptop.

So is the problem between my ow router and the laptop? My router firmware is up to date.

ANY help is truly appreciated!

Many thanks, Jack.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I don't have a solution for you Jack - I suspect, as you do the issue is in the driver - but I do have an observation which might allow a workaround:

If at your girlfriend's house you get good wifi speeds, but not at your place, perhaps look at the difference in wireless encryption. I would hesitate to recommend WEP if that is what she is using, but maybe she is using WPA rather than WPA2?

If she is using a different wireless encryption (and assuming it's stronger than WEP), try adjust your router to use the same settings and see if it improves the wifi seed at your place.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinto Tech View Post
    I don't have a solution for you Jack - I suspect, as you do the issue is in the driver - but I do have an observation which might allow a workaround:

If at your girlfriend's house you get good wifi speeds, but not at your place, perhaps look at the difference in wireless encryption. I would hesitate to recommend WEP if that is what she is using, but maybe she is using WPA rather than WPA2?

If she is using a different wireless encryption (and assuming it's stronger than WEP), try adjust your router to use the same settings and see if it improves the wifi seed at your place.
    Not sure what form of encryption she is using but I will look in to it. I really o feel it's mainly based on a driver issue. I've done some research and it appears that sme people were reporting similar problems on the consumer preview.

Thank you very much for your response. As always, it is really appreciated

I will report back if I get any more info!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinto Tech View Post

Big Update!

I wrote this thread today after having a week or two of this problem! But I found a solution!

Constantly, Windows was telling me that my drivers where up to date (''Update Driver'' option in Device Manager)

BUT, I've just gone to the Packard Bell website and under my laptop was a list of drivers.

It showed the latest version of the driver for my network card (Which was a later version than the version displayed in Device Manager). I immediately updated to the new driver and BAM!! 4Mbps down speed on Windows 8. I'm very happy.

Thanks for the help.

I was stupid and should've done this in the first place! I'll know for future reference.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanks for posting back Jack, glad you found a solution.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Thanks
    In most cases the default drivers have been working fine, but we do find some that need updating. Always check with your PC manufacturer, and/or the device manufacturer for updated drivers. We are seeing more almost every day.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy