Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Microsoft sending out how to emails to Windows 8 users

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/26624/...ers/index.html

Another reason to use a local account rather than a Microsoft Account. Looks like you wind up on Microsoft's mailing list with a Microsoft Account.

Jerry

Thanks
    This is just me, but I don't want to be automatically logged on to a bunch of sites each and every time I logon in Windows 8. The Microsoft Account I created when I installed Windows 8 is a non-descript made-up name with a complex password. It's basically a spam account, as far as I'm concerned. I have a google spam account, and a couple of yahoo spam accounts. Between those and my ISP's spam filters, my regularly used legitimate email account stays fairly spam free.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2012-11-08)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    How disgraceful for a manufacturer to send helpful hints after you've registered a product with them.

Thanks
    For some, these How To emails might be a life saver. We have discussed in fairly great detail how Win 8 does have a learning curve. For many these emails might help getting around in Win 8. For the average user, they might need the extra help.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    How is this bad? I get emails from Amazon and the many other sites where I am registered and buy stuff. How can helpful messages be bad? Do they not include the possibility of unsubscribing?

I respect others opinions, but what you see as a liability, I see as one one of the advantages of using a Microsoft account. Everything connected. That's one of the high points of new OSes, like Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8. The way we use computing is changing. We can fight it or embrace it. I choose the latter.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    I respect others opinions, but what you see as a liability, I see as one one of the advantages of using a Microsoft account. Everything connected. That's one of the high points of new OSes, like Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8. The way we use computing is changing. We can fight it or embrace it. I choose the latter.
    The way "WE" use computing? How about the way "I" use computing? I'm with bbearren -- I don't want to be connected to a bunch of places unless I choose to. Why should I be forced to?

Thanks
    I also don't want to send my activity to Microsoft. And I prefer to opt in to emails rather than have to opt out.

Jerry

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2012-11-08)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    The way "WE" use computing? How about the way "I" use computing? I'm with bbearren -- I don't want to be connected to a bunch of places unless I choose to. Why should I be forced to?
    No one is forced to do anything: Your Windows 8 experience is in your control. When you create a Windows account, you choose the type of account you want to use.

And even if you change your mind later, it's easy to change the account type and unsubscribe:

"You received this email because you connected your Microsoft account to a Windows 8 or Windows RT device. This is the second of two emails we will send you.

Microsoft respects your privacy. To learn more, please read our Privacy Statement.

To set your contact preferences for Microsoft communications, click here. These settings will not affect any mandatory service communications that are considered part of certain Microsoft services."

Bruce

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    So you don't use online storage, bigger amounts of RAM, higher capacity disks, wireless networking, etc, etc? You are still in the eighties?

The computing landscape is a moving one. Cloud computing is here and will be ever more present. You can choose what to use and what not to use, that is your choice, absolutely. And no one is forcing you to, as the local account is still available . Even using a Microsoft account does not link you to anywhere in particular, unless you choose to use other configuration possibilities.

I have been benefiting from the advantages of such a connection. I love it on my phone - all my OneNote cloud notebooks there, other relevant files, the great live tiles. I love it that Microsoft is doing the same with Windows 8. I just wish SkyDrive would be better integrated...

Thanks
    So you don't use online storage, bigger amounts of RAM, higher capacity disks, wireless networking, etc, etc? You are still in the eighties?
    RUI, There's absolutely no need to log into a Microsoft Account to do these things. The vast majority of PC users don't need bigger amounts of Ram and greater than 1 Gigabyte of disk storage. Some of us prefer to log in to On Line storage when we need it. (Very rarely in my case) And as I said in other Emails, I don't want to have my activity broadcast to Microsoft. You obviously find it useful. Nothing wrong with that. I just don't.

Even using a Microsoft account does not link you to anywhere in particular, unless you choose to use other configuration possibilities.
    I found that some configuration data is sent to Microsoft by default when logging into a Microsoft Account. In Windows RP, I logged into a Microsoft account. Later I replaced my Hard Drive with an SSD, did a clean install and a lot of my configuration data was restored including IE favorites. Additionally, there's no reason to use a Microsoft Account login unless you want Windows 8 to automatically log in to Sky Drive, Social Networking, and the Windows store. That's its whole purpose.

Jerry
    Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Jerry,

I was just giving examples of factors contributing computing evolution, didn't imply that a Microsoft account was needed.

Obviously, the use of a Microsoft account implies the willingness to go online in some way. The syncing of favorites and all between computers is a plus, IMO. I love how Chrome does it and Microsoft needed that too. Social networking requires you to connect your Account with other social networks (which I did), but if you didn't, then it's probably just Windows Live Messenger and nothing else.

I agree, though, more seamless connectivity is the point of using a Microsoft Account.

Thanks
    And i think the vast majority of computer users have no need for most of what you listed with the exception of wireless. Mot of the clients I run into have 500 or 1 terabyte disks that are 5 to 10 % full and 4 gigs or less of memory. 32 bit computing is overkill let alone 64 bit.

Most non business people also have no need (including myself) for the cloud. Microsoft is increasingly trying to push us there as evidenced by the latest version of Office. They get a greater revenue stream with a subscription based version than a PC based version that only gets replaced every 8 years or so. Yes, you can still get a PC based version of Office with Office 2013, but I wouldn't bet on the next version having the same option.

I can see where it can be useful in some business applications and it makes sense for you but for those of us that haven't even invested in a smart phone yet, we will be dragged kicking and screaming into the cloud.

By the way, Microsoft recently announced that it was killing messenger and replacing it with Skype.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post

The computing landscape is a moving one. Cloud computing is here and will be ever more present. You can choose what to use and what not to use, that is your choice, absolutely. And no one is forcing you to, as the local account is still available . Even using a Microsoft account does not link you to anywhere in particular, unless you choose to use other configuration possibilities.

I have been benefiting from the advantages of such a connection. I love it on my phone - all my OneNote cloud notebooks there, other relevant files, the great live tiles. I love it that Microsoft is doing the same with Windows 8. I just wish SkyDrive would be better integrated...
    No I don't use online storage, except in certain cases:
    * I keep some pictures online at www.walgreens.com so that I can share them with friends and family.
    * I put some pics on my Facebook account.

Other than that, I have absolutely no need to use online storage.

I have an external hard drive at home, and I use autobackup software and a monthly image of the computer to stay backed up. Anytime I go out of town for an extended period, I take the external HD with me.

If I ever need online storage, I'll use it only for what I need, nothing more.

I'm not sure what "bigger amounts of RAM", "higher capacity disks", and "wireless networking" have to do with the discussion at hand. I actually do use all of those things. I just value my privacy; and anytime I put any part of my life out there in the cloud, it will be possible for someone else to access it. And if my personal computer is always connected to various websites, it appears to me that someone out there who knows what they're doing can access my personal computer, and therefore my life.

I actually am a member of a Dropbox network. But I'm not happy with the fact that I had to be logged in as administrator to set it up on my computer. A big red flag popped up when I saw that; but I proceeded, because my wife needed to join that particular network for her work.

The fact of the matter is, not everyone is as honest, ethical, and trustworthy as you are, so I don't want to give some faceless, nameless person a potential entrance into my computer, where they might be able to see credit card numbers, passwords, and who knows what else.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Jerry,

I think cloud computing, with better internet access, but even without it, can be a good way for even less experienced users to backup their most important data (documents and such), as an additional backup. If SkyDrive app wasn't so disruptive to my usual way of handling docs and I would have done it already. This is a pattern that will continue.

For my (special) case, Microsoft is even offering a free online source code management tool - TFS. I am considering moving my code there. Yes, it's a less frequent use case, but it's part of a pattern. I already do it with my OneNote docs (OneNote is the 2nd Office app I use the most, after Outlook). I no longer create OneNote docs on my local storage.I can seamlessly work on all those docs from the desktop or the laptop and sometimes on the phone.

It won't make sense to everyone, fine. It does for me and it will make sense for the younger generations who use phones and for whom the smartphones will be a natural thing. Hey, I wasn't a convert to smartphones myself - I just bought my first at the beginning of this year and the whole sharing between devices makes total sense to me. The Microsoft account just helps with that.

P.S.: Yes, I have connected my Skype account with my Microsoft account. Works great .

MrJim,

Yes, there are risks, I won't deny them. Does it increase one's exposure to such risks? Yes, it does. Are the risks balanced? I tend to think so, for now. My feeling is that it is not much more risky than your usual internet activity. For now, as I perceive it, the advantages outweigh the risks.

Thanks
    Ruirib:

I don't object to any of the technologies that you have listed. I do, however, believe that everything has its place. And I don't like the increasing loss of privacy that we are experiencing seemingly on a daily basis.

If you know how to properly use these tools, and if you employ appropriate protections and practices, you're unlikely to ever have a problem; and if you do, it will likely be minor.

Having said all of that, I am horrified to see the mess that exists on many of my friends' computers. Many of them have obvious malware on their computers, with no adequate protection, or it's hardly ever updated or a scan run. Their computers are very slow, they are continually directed to certain websites, and they can't get on other web sites. Yet they happily plod along, oblivious to the privacy risks that exist on their computers (they make credit card purchases and do other risky things, without even being aware of the dangers).

When you add all of that to the fact that EVERYONE is being continually directed to do EVERYTHING on the cloud (or on their iPhone), it's a pretty scary situation.

I, for one, don't want to have to continually fight the battle, so I minimize my risk as much as possible. I therefore have a stress-free computing experience.

My friends also have a stress-free experience, but not because they are safe; it's because they don't know any better.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2012-11-08 at 18:27.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast