Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Occasionally losing Internet connection

New Inspiron One 2330 All-in-One occasionally losing hard wired and wireless connection to internet. Other PCs on the network don't have the problem. PC's wireless icon indicates connection is there but clicking any URL results in a "Internet explorer cannot display the web page" message. I get the connection back after a reboot. It seems to happen after two or three hours of inactivity while connected.

Power management for network adapters are disabled and drivers are current.

Since other PCs aren't affected, I'm assuming it's hardware in the new PC. Any ideas?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    It sounds like something is timing out on you due to inactivity.
    Go to Control Panel / Power Options and then Change Plan Settings on the power plan you have selected. Then click on Change Advanced Power Settings. Under Wireless Adapter Settings, make sure that "On Battery" and "Plugged In" are both set to Maximum Performance.
    Check the "Critical Battery Action" and "Low Battery Action", to make sure you aren't getting disabled there. Check the settings under "Sleep" to make sure you aren't getting snagged there.

That's where I'd start.

Thanks
    Instead of rebooting, did you try the network troubleshooter? Right click on the network icon in the system tray and click on Troubleshoot. If its a new computer and still under warranty, contact Dell in case its a hardware issue.

Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks
    OK. I'l play with the power options to see if that helps.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Instead of rebooting, did you try the network troubleshooter? Right click on the network icon in the system tray and click on Troubleshoot. If its a new computer and still under warranty, contact Dell in case its a hardware issue.

Jerry
    I'll try the troubleshooter next time I have the problem if changing power options doesn't help.

Lounger
    Thanks

Jerry
    OK. I'l play with the power options to see if that helps.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Neither changing power options nor using the troubleshooter worked. Lost internet despite all signs indictaing I was connected.

Thanks
    Try connecting somewhere other than where the problem has been occurring. For example, go to Starbucks. Their connection is wide open - easy to connect, no encryption.

If the error persists, I'd call Dell. Sounds like something that they could fix under warranty.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    When you loose internet, open a command prompt and execute ipconfig /all to verify that you still have a network connection. Does the IP address look like 192.168.x.x or does it look like 169.254.x.x? If it is a 169.254.x.x address it indicates an APIPA address has been allocated, which in turn I would suspect indicates a hardware fault.

Do the DNS servers in the ipconfig /all reply look any different to working machines? If so follow the next line of thought to investigate for malware.

Also in the same command prompt, when you have a working internet connection, execute nslookup google.com. Compare it against the good machines.

The purpose of doing the nslookup is to check for malware hijacking your DNS settings. If there is any indication of incorrect DNS settings, download Malwarebytes Free and run a full scan to see what it detects.

A final thought: do you have any third-party firewall solution installed (e.g. in an antivirus security program)? If so, try disabling it and run with the windows firewall to see if that makes a difference.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinto Tech View Post
    When you loose internet, open a command prompt and execute ipconfig /all to verify that you still have a network connection. Does the IP address look like 192.168.x.x or does it look like 169.254.x.x? If it is a 169.254.x.x address it indicates an APIPA address has been allocated, which in turn I would suspect indicates a hardware fault.

Do the DNS servers in the ipconfig /all reply look any different to working machines? If so follow the next line of thought to investigate for malware.

Also in the same command prompt, when you have a working internet connection, execute nslookup google.com. Compare it against the good machines.

The purpose of doing the nslookup is to check for malware hijacking your DNS settings. If there is any indication of incorrect DNS settings, download Malwarebytes Free and run a full scan to see what it detects.

A final thought: do you have any third-party firewall solution installed (e.g. in an antivirus security program)? If so, try disabling it and run with the windows firewall to see if that makes a difference.
    Lost internet again. Ran ipconfig /all and it ran as though I stil had an internet connection. The IP address appeared as 10.0.X.X which is my Comcast router's address. Nothing looked out of line compared to othere PCs on the network. The nslookup google.com command didn't show anything unusual.

Last step will be to check into your firewall suggestion. If that's not it, I'll call Dell support. Wish me luck.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Your PC's have Class A IP addresses? Forgive me, but being on this side of the pond, I'm not familiar with how Comcast setup their routers. I would have expected that your PC's would have been assigned a Class C 192.168.x.x address. That shouldn't make any difference, but is just odd.

The IP address appeared as 10.0.X.X which is my Comcast router's address
    I assume the PC address is allocated by the router using a DHCP server and the above text is not to be taken literally to mean the IP address on the PC is the same as the router.

Anyway, in summary, when you have lost internet access, you do have a valid IP from the router and nslookup google.com returns IP addresses as expected: Everything should work as normal. The functional nslookup google.com means your PC is making a request to the router and the router is forwarding that request to the Comcast DNS server to look-up google.com. That being the case, you do have WAN access. Double check by using ping google.com, or better still pathping google.com when the internet drops out.

So, what could be wrong? Could the Win8 box be switching to IPv6? IPv4 would still return a valid IP address and nslookup would work, but if http requests are suddenly routed over IPv6 and your router/Comcast do not handle that, things would go dark. Try turning off IPv6 in the adapter properties and see if it makes a difference.

/edit sorry: ignore the reference to Win8, I was thinking of another thread. The question re IPv6 is still valid though
    Last edited by Tinto Tech; 2012-11-11 at 10:53. Reason: mixed up with a thread about win8 networking.

Thanks
    I have Comcast as well. Individual PC's plugged into a router should have 192.168.x.x IP addresses. If you have a 10.0.x.x address it is either a staic address you set or you are directly connected to a Comcast Modem, not a DHCP router.

Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinto Tech View Post
    Your PC's have Class A IP addresses? Forgive me, but being on this side of the pond, I'm not familiar with how Comcast setup their routers. I would have expected that your PC's would have been assigned a Class C 192.168.x.x address. That shouldn't make any difference, but is just odd.

I assume the PC address is allocated by the router using a DHCP server and the above text is not to be taken literally to mean the IP address on the PC is the same as the router.

Anyway, in summary, when you have lost internet access, you do have a valid IP from the router and nslookup google.com returns IP addresses as expected: Everything should work as normal. The functional nslookup google.com means your PC is making a request to the router and the router is forwarding that request to the Comcast DNS server to look-up google.com. That being the case, you do have WAN access. Double check by using ping google.com, or better still pathping google.com when the internet drops out.

So, what could be wrong? Could the Win8 box be switching to IPv6? IPv4 would still return a valid IP address and nslookup would work, but if http requests are suddenly routed over IPv6 and your router/Comcast do not handle that, things would go dark. Try turning off IPv6 in the adapter properties and see if it makes a difference.

/edit sorry: ignore the reference to Win8, I was thinking of another thread. The question re IPv6 is still valid though
    Comcast, my ISP, is actually a cable TV, phone and internet provider and hasn't yet provisioned for IPv6. I use their combo modem/router which could be the reason for the unusual IP address. The PC I replaced with the current model didn't have this problem. I'm almost convinced this is a hardware problem.

In any event, I do appreciate the time you took to offer your assistance. Thank you.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Comcast as well. Individual PC's plugged into a router should have 192.168.x.x IP addresses. If you have a 10.0.x.x address it is either a staic address you set or you are directly connected to a Comcast Modem, not a DHCP router.

Jerry
    Jerry,

I'm a recent convert from DSL and not familiar with Comcast equipment. I'm using Comcasts/Infinity's Arris TG862 combo hard wired to my PC. The modem address is 10.0.x.x and I'm assuming you are correct stating "I am directly connnected to a Comcast modem, not a DHCP router."

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I don't think it's a hardware issue (well, not on your equipment anyway). If you have a valid IP and can nslookup google.com correctly then the Ethernet interface is working correctly.

Double check with ping google.com when you have no internet access. What is left is the Comcast modem and their network.

A couple of final thoughts though: if the Comcast box is simply a modem, what firewall do you have between your PC and the internet, and could it be a problem? If there is no NAT router on the LAN side of the modem, do you have anything else connected to the Comcast modem that could be causing a problem?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast