New Lounger
    Thanks

Excel 2010 loses number formatting

I have a problen with Excel 2010. I can format cells as number zero decimaul places no seperators and select the third display option from the drop down. Everything looks great. After saving the file and later opening it again, some of the formatting has been lost or reset.

I have no autorun macros. I do make frequent use of self-defined styles to format cells. I have no clue why this keeps happening. Anyone have any ideas?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have found that if you copy/paste from other spreadsheets it can copy the cell formatting also. You have to use copy/paste Values. Other than that...

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for taking the time

I am something of a power Excel user. Copying formats along with formulas and values from other sheets is not at all my issue. I don't have to do anything after formatting a table the way I want it other than work on other sheets and save the file. When I return, the cells are mysteriously formatted differently. Not in all sheets and not every time but far too frequently.

Thanks
    Have noticed the same problem while running visual basic code. I had to write reformat code into the routine to set the format back to the way it was before the code ran. Very strange. Does it sometimes and not others. No pattern. Will rummage through settings and will post answer if I ever figure it out.

Maud
    Last edited by Maudibe; 2012-11-08 at 18:03.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for taking the time to share. I have some macros in my Personal workbook that utilize VB code. I will try to keep an eye out to see if running one of these macros causes the problem.

If I discover anything I will post here.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hi

perhaps you have a corrupted Normal cell style.
    Also, check through your list of custom formats for 'unexpected' entries e.g. like "[$-409]dddd-mmm-yyyy.."
    delete any you don't recognise as yours.

zeddy