Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

bloated PST file in Outlook 2010

My hard drive crashed on a Toshiba laptop running Win XP and had to be replaced. Unfortunately the Outlook 2010 PST file, which is over 5 GB now, was corrupted in the process and much of the data was lost. I ran Scanpst.exe which indicated that there were 39 folders of which only 9 are visible now. However, it was unable to complete the repair process and stopped responding. I also ran a trial version of Datanumen, but it didn't even come close to recovering everything so I didn't bother buying it since it is rather expensive anyway for a one-time deal.

Actually, I don't even need most of what was lost since it's only previous employment correspondence. However, I would like to save the rest of what I can see, some of which dates back to 2005.

What I'm wondering is if it would be possible to set up an additional account from where I could then drag and drop the original folders into the new one. From here I could presumably set this up as my primary account and delete the old one. Then presumably I would be left with a pared down PST file. Does this sound feasible or am I missing something?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    The problem is knowing whether you will be able to read from the corrupted pst file, even if it is not your mail file. It's quite likely that you won't, but I can't be definitive about it.

I suppose you have no backups?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Of course I have a backup. I'm running a portable external WD hard drive as we speak. And I am currently using the previously corrupted pst file. The issue for me is whether I would be able to modify it successfully so that I can discard the hidden parts and salvage the rest of it that is visible.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I meant a backup of the non corrupted pst file?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh, I'm sorry. I misunderstood you. Actually I do have a backup from about a year ago before it crashed, which is almost 3 GB. How could I use that?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Outlook files can be opened from the File menu. You will see it in your folder pane and you can browse it just like you can browse the folders in your default pst file. You can simply select messages from the old file (by the usual method - click, shit + click) and then drag and drop them into folders from your current file.

You can try this with the corrupt file, but most likely you won't be able to open it - I never experienced pst corruption, so I am not sure about it.

Thanks
    You can also try File > Import > import from another program or file > Personal Folder File. This is for Outlook 2007. I'm sure Outlook 2010 has a similar function.

Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks
    OK. I think I'm starting to make some progress thanks to Rui who reminded me that I fortunately did indeed have a backup file, which was readable. I took your suggestion also and opened it as an Outlook data file in a Personal Folders. Then I deleted all the extraneous files and folders that I didn't want. Next I would like to drag and drop the desired subsequent files from my currently active pst file there. However, my next question is how do I save the edited version located in the Personal Folders as a standalone pst file so that I can re-import it in my main account?

Administrator
    Thanks
    By edited version, you mean the file you obtained from the backup and that you have now changed? Where is that file currently located? It will still be at the folder where you placed it. You can copy it and rename it to something that will let you know that it is the edited version.

Lounger
    Thanks
    That's right. I sent the former backup file to another folder on my hard drive since if I only copied it, then it might point back to the external hard drive. However, the odd thing is that even tho I deleted several large folders, those changes haven't been reflected in the file size, which is still almost 3 GB. How can I save the pst file in my Personal Folders so that it will have a smaller file size? That's really the crux of my problem right now... if it's even possible.

Administrator
    Thanks
    When you delete stuff from a pst file, the file size does not decrease until you compact the file. That's how pst files behave. If you right click the entry in the folder pane for your file and right click it, then choose the Data File Properties menu option (I am already using Office 2013 so the menu name may be a little different), a dialog with an Advanced button will show up. Click it and you will get another dialog with a Compact Now button. This is the button to click to start compacting the pst file.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Mr Don (2012-11-15)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I see. However, I'm starting to think about another way to skin this cat. What about if I started with an entirely new Gmail account and declined importing the current pst file, which I could open later in my Personal Folders and then simply add the messages that I wanted to save from it? Couldn't I accomplish the same thing that way without any of the accumulated baggage and end up with a really streamlined pst file?

Administrator
    Thanks
    I don't see the role the gmail account here (unless you mean any account in general could be use and you just want a blank pst file).

Anyway I suppose that is another possible method.

I do compact my pst files regularly.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know about other email providers, but at least with Gmail you have the option to enable POP for all mail or enable POP for mail that arrives from now on, the latter choice of which would be preferable for me.

In that scenario, I guess the only thing remaining would be for me to figure out how to save the contact list so that I could add it later.

Administrator
    Thanks
    You can copy and move contacts between pst files exactly the same way you did with messages.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast