Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Windows 8 Startscreen Apps; Best of

Thought I'd get something going here in terms of the Windows 8 apps store for the "Modern UI" or Start Screen.
    There isn't much to choose from so far, hopefully we'll start seeing more useful apps in the next few months.

Some of my favorite choices for the free apps category;

Untitled.jpg
    Weather: The "Bing" weather apps is one of the
    better ones I've seen thus far. Very colorful.

Untitled2.jpg
    Shopping: For those of you who are fond of checking out
    hardware, this one from Newegg may come in handy.

Untitled3.jpg
    Earthquake: Always a Southern California favorite.
    Get up-to-date live earthquake coverage from around the world.

Untitled1.jpg
    News: along with the "Reuters video news", BBC is
    a decent favorite of mine, even if you are stateside.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-11-18 at 11:01.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    As time goes on the apps in the store will become more plentiful, and maybe, useful.
    How to search the Windows 8 Store

Stardock Decor8: personalize the Windows 8 start screen

StartOnDesktop - The Cleanest Solution to Start on Desktop

Turn off “Windows protected your PC” (Windows SmartScreen)
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-11-15 at 23:09.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Latest apps;
    Screenshot (3).jpg
    Bank of America.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

Thanks
    I'd be a bit leery of the holes these apps may open up in my system:
    http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/...7-gadgets-now/

Thanks
    These aren't gadgets, they are supposed to be on a completely separate API.

They're supposed to be more secure, but everything is still too new.
    I would not use the banking app until it was well established and any potential bugs worked out.
    The Modern UI is very new for MS despite being open to beta for a considerable amount of time.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-12-01 at 22:58.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

Thanks
    This Fax app found in the Windows 8 app store appears to be another example of a program that installs on the desktop.
    Untitled.jpg

I haven't tried this.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

Thanks
    It looks like Amazon is coming on board the Windows 8 store with it's own app...
    Amazon.jpg

Along with Yahoo Mail.
    Yahoo Mail.jpg
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

Thanks
    Regarding Windows 8 Metro Apps and security, read about the ACL App Containers (sandboxing) and other aspects of the WinRT API before comparing security of Windows 8 RT with the Desktop Gadgets Sidebar in Windows 7. Totally different items entirely.

My favorite useful Windows Store Apps (all free) are:

NBC news
    Accuweather
    Chicago Tribune (or your local paper if it's in there)
    Google Chrome Metro-style browser

I don't spend much time on the Metro-style side of Windows 8, but these are among the Apps I use frequently for updates on news and weather. There are also Apps to get quick updates from various tech sites, but I haven't used these much yet.

Also gotten from the Microsoft Store was Avast 7, but I haven't installed and tested this yet. It's not really an App, but it's in the Store now.

Update (Jan. 2,2013) -- I installed Avast 7 in Windows 8 Pro and it works just fine, with no crashes yet.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2013-01-03 at 16:27.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    You ought to give Tech Magnet a try Bob;
    Tech Mag.jpg

How do you find/like the Google Chrome browser?
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

Thanks
    Tech Magnet --I'll put that one on my Short List of Apps to try next.

Woody Leonhard first alerted us to the fact that Google Chrome runs as a Windows-RT style App in Windows 8. For that matter, so do Opera and Safari for Windows. The latter two, being based on the Webkit Engine, have some limitations in what they can do, so some folks got frustrated at the lack of familiar features. Chrome is based on the Chromium Engine, and does retain most of its features in Windows RT.

In don't mind losing Metro-style IE10 when choosing Chrome to run full-screen as a Windows-RT App. Navigation by multitouch is reasonable, and if I need an Extension or a Plugin which won't run in the WinRT API, Chrome just shifts back to its Desktop Version and all continues as it would under Windows 7. Pepper Flash (Chrome's Flash Player) will work on some sites not on Microsoft's Flash Player White List, and the Chrome PDF reader is better integrated into the RT-style browser than Microsoft's PDF viewer is into IE10 Metro-style. Many Chrome Extensions also work under the WinRT API, unlike Firefox whose Netscape Protocol (NPAPI) Extensions are not supported under the WinRT API.

All things considered, I find Chrome to be more versatile and a bit faster on downloads and page transitions than IE 10 Metro-style. Security seems to be a toss-up, although I find IE 10's Smart Screen Greenbar Alerts too intrusive. Chrome alerts to things not being right with a website or a download less intrusively, in my experience. On the Windows 8 desktop, I don't let Smart Screen Alerts show up at all (turning them off), but in IE10 they seem like a necessary (or desirable) evil. In terms of overall privacy and safety, I think it's more or less of a toss-up.

Appearance of the browser window and the web page presentations are a bit different between Chrome RT-style and IE10 Metro-style. My preference is for Chrome in this aspect. Also, downloads seem to be better managed in Chrome with my slow DSL connection at home than with IE10, resulting in noticebly better performance and stability in that aspect. Other users may have a different experience in this regard.

I find Chrome to be my choice for a default browser in Windows 8, both on the desktop and in the Windows-RT form. I'd like to get PDF files to always show up in NitroPDF instead in the native Chrome PDF plugin, but I'd really rather not do internal surgery in the Chrome settings at this point. Maybe next month.
    -- Bob Primak --

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    Woody Leonhard first alerted us to the fact that Google Chrome runs as a Windows-RT style App in Windows 8. For that matter, so do Opera and Safari for Windows. The latter two, being based on the Webkit Engine, have some limitations in what they can do, so some folks got frustrated at the lack of familiar features. Chrome is based on the Chromium Engine, and does retain most of its features in Windows RT.

In don't mind losing Metro-style IE10 when choosing Chrome to run full-screen as a Windows-RT App. Navigation by multitouch is reasonable, and if I need an Extension or a Plugin which won't run in the WinRT API, Chrome just shifts back to its Desktop Version and all continues as it would under Windows 7. Pepper Flash (Chrome's Flash Player) will work on some sites not on Microsoft's Flash Player White List, and the Chrome PDF reader is better integrated into the RT-style browser than Microsoft's PDF viewer is into IE10 Metro-style. Many Chrome Extensions also work under the WinRT API, unlike Firefox whose Netscape Protocol (NPAPI) Extensions are not supported under the WinRT API.

All things considered, I find Chrome to be more versatile and a bit faster on downloads and page transitions than IE 10 Metro-style. Security seems to be a toss-up, although I find IE 10's Smart Screen Greenbar Alerts too intrusive. Chrome alerts to things not being right with a website or a download less intrusively, in my experience. On the Windows 8 desktop, I don't let Smart Screen Alerts show up at all (turning them off), but in IE10 they seem like a necessary (or desirable) evil. In terms of overall privacy and safety, I think it's more or less of a toss-up.

Appearance of the browser window and the web page presentations are a bit different between Chrome RT-style and IE10 Metro-style. My preference is for Chrome in this aspect. Also, downloads seem to be better managed in Chrome with my slow DSL connection at home than with IE10, resulting in noticebly better performance and stability in that aspect. Other users may have a different experience in this regard.

I find Chrome to be my choice for a default browser in Windows 8, both on the desktop and in the Windows-RT form.
    Is a metro Chrome app available from the Store? I can only find it there as a Desktop App.

Do you still have to set it as the default browser in order to use it as a metro app?

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2012-12-28 at 17:46. Reason: can't spell my own name

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Is a metro Chrome app available from the Store? I can only find it there as a Desktop App.

Do you still have to set it as the default browser in order to use it as a metro app?

Bruxe
    Not to my knowledge from the Microsoft Online App Store -- yet.

What you do, is just go to the Google download site and install ordinary Chrome on the Windows 8 Legacy Desktop. The go to Default Programs and select Chrome to be your Default Browser. From the on, IE10 will only be available as a Desktop Browser. When you want Chrome to "go Metro" you go to its Settings Icon, select Full Screen Mode, and it will toggle to a full-screen Windows RT style browser. You will also have a Chrome Tile in your Windows RT interface (Metro Start Menu). Chrome starts on the desktop, then toggles in and out of Rt-style full-screen mode.

This offers better Flash Player and PDF presentations, and offers plugins and extensions not found in IE10. There are more top of the screen controls and more right-click options, too than in IE10. And instead of Smart Screen, Chrome has its own protections against malicious downloads.

I expect a fully Windows RT style Chrome App sometime soon, but it doesn't seem to be there yet.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-12-28 at 09:04.
    -- Bob Primak --

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Not to my knowledge from the Microsoft Online App Store -- yet.

What you do, is just go to the Google download site and install ordinary Chrome on the Windows 8 Legacy Desktop. The go to Default Programs and select Chrome to be your Default Browser. From the on, IE10 will only be available as a Desktop Browser. When you want Chrome to "go Metro" you go to its Settings Icon, select Full Screen Mode, and it will toggle to a full-screen Windows RT style browser. You will also have a Chrome Tile in your Windows RT interface (Metro Start Menu). Chrome starts on the desktop, then toggles in and out of Rt-style full-screen mode.

I expect a fully Windows RT style Chrome App sometime soon, but it doesn't seem to be there yet.
    So despite your previous statements about the Chrome WinRT App, it's not a WinRT App at all?

Bruce

Chrome is based on the Chromium Engine, and does retain most of its features in Windows RT.

I don't mind losing Metro-style IE10 when choosing Chrome to run full-screen as a Windows-RT App.

Many Chrome Extensions also work under the WinRT API,

I find Chrome to be my choice for a default browser in Windows 8, both on the desktop and in the Windows-RT form.

Thanks
    Chrome is listed in the MS store but directs one to it's website to download it, interestingly, in IE10's RT browser.
    One will have to actually test whether one can use it as a RT based browser on a strictly RT based device.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Chrome is listed in the MS store but directs one to it's website to download it, interestingly, in IE10's RT browser.
    One will have to actually test whether one can use it as a RT based browser on a strictly RT based device.
    And that website says, "Not available for Windows RT."

Bruce

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast