New Lounger
    Thanks

Re install Win 8

I just purchased an ASUS G75VW-RH71 laptop with Windows 8 64 bit,
    • Intel Core(tm) i7-3630QM
    • 12GB DDR3-1600 RAM
    • 750GB 7,200RPM Hard Drive
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX670M
    I want to remove the Hitachi 750 GB 7200 RPM hard drive and replace it with 2- Seagate Momentus XT 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB cache hard drives. The replacement is simple but I didn't do a proper backup. The store where I purchased it from exchanged it for a new unit (great place Micro Center) The tech guy said I should make a recovery disc and an image of the Hitachi disc first before I do anything. Being new at this, I don't want to screw it up again. The laptop has only what came from the factory on. How do I do this? Windows 8 makes no mention of an image, it does mention Windows 7.

Thanks
    Use a third party app such as Acronis True Image 2013 or Macrium Reflect to make the Image. Be sure to create a boot disk for whichever Imaging app you use. There may be problems restoring to new HD's as drivers will be different. With Acronis, you might also need the Plus Pack for the app. Supposedly this will restore the Image directly to a new bare bones HD. There is much discussion about Imaging in the Maintenance Forum.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

bobn (2012-11-10)

Thanks
    Although Windows 8 does have the same capabilities in terms of drive imaging that Windows 7 does, a third party
    imaging tool like Acronis or Macrium Reflect will offer more options, and possibly better reliability.

It would be well advised to keep the original hard drive on hand during the laptop's warranty period.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-11-10 at 19:53.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    If you have a way of connecting the original drive and one of the new drives to start, you could actually clone the original drive to the new drive, using either Acronis or Macrium. Cloning is the method used to basically transfer the whole OS to a new drive. Afterward you could then remove the original drive and install the second new drive.

As Clint mentions, keep the original drive in a safe place. After cloning, start using Imaging to make copies of your OS regularly. I do so at least once per month right after patch Tuesday. Keep the Images away from the PC. I use an Ext HD for this purpose. You could always partition the original drive after completing the above, put it into an enclosure and use the second partition for storing your images.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy