Thread: Refresh PC

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Refresh PC

Has anyone (outside MS Marketing) tried Refresh PC, and are there any tips they can offer?

Thanks
    I have not tried it, but read of those that did. During the refresh, all non-MS installed apps will be removed. A list of those apps removed is placed on the desktop. I believe customizations are saved, although I am not sure.

This should reset all system settings back to original installation. I most likely read some of the same articles you have. I do believe some here have done this. Perhaps they can add more.

I must just be lucky because everything seems to working properly. Perhaps my Custom install with Format is the reason, perhaps not.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That is definitely disqualified. I googled 'Windows 8 restore' and got a very large number of hits, so this may take some time...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Restore, refresh, reset and recovery are all different things, so be careful which you use.
    Last edited by BruceR; 2012-11-10 at 18:41.

Thanks
    I have tried it (refresh) successfully on my laptop via a USB boot disk without any problems, but on my desktop
    I would get some kind of message telling me that my drive was "locked" and that I needed to "unlock" it
    prior to proceeding.

(Desktop apps are not restored, only "Metro" styled apps are)
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-11-10 at 20:31. Reason: missing
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My specific problem is that this was a new Win 7 computer when 8 was released, and I had already installed a fortune in third-party (and Office) software successfully. I said What they hey, and took the $15 upgrade, which I think worked at first but then went south. I can go back to Win 7, or even early Win 8-upgraded, from backups, but it looks like a minor problem that should be fixable from its present state. I must add that I have added an additional ton of third-party software successfully under 8 which I don't want to lose.

The Win 8 apps are mostly eye-candy, or Dummies versions of things that can be had in great depth and number directly on the internet (how many financial, news, weather etc. sites do you care to count?). There is almost nothing there of substance, but if the OS itself is more efficient then I'm hooked. I'll go straight to Desktop view and work in that, although if you normally run the same small set of programs it makes sense to have them as tiles and work in whatever-this-week's-name-for-that-view happens to be.

What I am looking into is something along the lines of earlier Windows' Repair Disk. I should have another 64-bit installation in business on another machine tonight or tomorrow, and can use that to create anything that needs to be created. As nearly as I can see all I have to do is get Store to work, and I can see how that fits into the scheme of things on my 32-bit installation. Everything works perfectly except some of the Windows 8 apps, and Store itself. All of my expensive software runs normally, and I don't want to mess with it.

Thanks
    If you had spent a considerable amount of time installing programs and setting the OS up the way you want it, then best and only way to preserve
    them would lie in drive imaging and not fully relying on a windows restore/refresh function.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    I wonder if a system Restore would work. If you know the actual time of the miscue, perhaps a system restore from before that time frame. Search Recovery to open the system restore area.

Definitely stay away from Refresh or Reset. You will loose all the S/W you added.

The installation media does give access to the Repair Console through Repair My PC. You could try an elevated command prompt (Win + X, Command Prompt Admin) sfc /scannow Enter

Once you have things set up Create an Image (as Clint mentions). Once I finished my installation, the first thing I did was created an Image. I create new Images at least once a month after patch Tuesday.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I agree with Clint. A refresh will make you lose all but the Store apps and it seems you definitely don't want that.

Thanks
    Read this MSDN article in it's entirety prior to proceeding:
    Refresh and reset your PC
    Steven Sinofsky, Microsoft Corporation
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 10:00 AM

Restoring your apps
    We preserve only Metro style apps when customers refresh their PCs, and require desktop apps that do not come with the PC to be reinstalled manually. We do this for two reasons. First, in many cases there is a single desktop app that is causing the problems that lead to a need to perform this sort of maintenance, but identifying this root cause is not usually possible. And second, we do not want to inadvertently reinstall “bad” apps that were installed unintentionally or that hitched a ride on something good but left no trace of how they were installed.
    It is also important to understand that we cannot deterministically replace desktop apps, as there are many installer technologies as well as custom setup and configuration logic, of which Windows has little direct knowledge. That is why we discourage the use of third-party uninstallers or scrubbers. One simple thing to consider is that many setup and installation programs conditionally implement functionality based on the state of the machine at the time of the install (for example default browser, default photo handler, etc.)
    You can, however, cleanly install and uninstall all Metro style apps using the .appx package format. If you’re interested in learning more about how Metro style apps work in this regard, check out the following sessions from //build:
    If you do need to reinstall some desktop apps after you refresh your PC, we save the list of apps that were not preserved in an HTML file, and put this list on the desktop, so you have a quick way to see what you might need to reinstall and where to find them.
    One caution is that if any desktop apps you have require a license key, you will need to follow your manufacturer’s instructions for how to reuse the key. This might involve uninstalling the app first, going to a web site, or going through some automated steps by phone, for example.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build: