Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Suggestions of email client for a Win XP Outlook Express user going to Win7

Hi lounge members,

As the title may suggest, I am an Windows XP user who uses Outlook Express now; But also getting a new Win 7 desktop in the next week or so. I know the newsletter has given directions on how to install OE for Windows 7 users but while that may temporarily be the answer I am looking for something that might be longer term and maybe more up to date. As for what I like about OE - interms of what I might be lookingfor in terms of an email client replacement, I like that you can have unlimited message delivery rules, and that each email folder is stored as seperate files on the hard rive, not all together as in Outlook or as seperate emails like Windows Live Mail. I am a computer programmer and fairly knowledgeable about software programs, so please bear that in mid when giving suggestions.

Charles

Thanks
    Try Thunderbird mail.

Most people use that as a replacement for OE.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I will look into Thunderbird.

I can't seem to find the article about if and how it's possible to run OE under Win7.

Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Banyarola View Post
    I thought that Fred did an article about using OE in Win7? I just can't seem to find it...

Thanks
    Windows Live Mail is the most similar client to the old OE, and it's successor.
    If your purchasing Office, you might also consider Outlook.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    OE is not available in Win 7. Windows Mail is with some manual manipulation. Win mail was introduced in Vista and took the place of OE. Then in Win 7 Win Live Mail was released to take the place of Win Mail.

As Bany has shown, Win Mail may be resurrected in Win 7, but many of us are doing as Clint suggested and are using WLM 2012.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Here's the link http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...dows-mail.html

I used it and activated Windows Mail in Windows 7..

If you use it just make sure you print out the instructions and follow them exactly and you wont have a problem..

Keep in mind, Windows Mail is already on Windows 7...
    The purpose of this fix is to ACTIVATE it and not install it because it's already on Windows 7 machines.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I think you actually can run OE in Win7 if you install a virtual machine copy of XP woith OE and IE. Remember that OE comes with IE -I think Fred did post

instructions for installing OE in a Win7 machine - just can't find it...

Thanks
    I heard that also but Windows mail is almost the same thing and easier to setup ....

But, to each his own...

I was happy when I could get Windows Mail working in W& but now I like Thunderbird more and don't even use windows mail.

Thanks
    I used to use Outlook Express. Then when I installed Windows 7, I switched to Outlook.

Thunderbird would be my 2nd choice. In fact, that's what I use on my wife's computer for my email, since she is already using Outlook for her email.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Charles, I went through exactly the same situations as you describe in January 2011. Went from XP to Win 7 home version and no Outlook capability. Loaded MS Office 2000 Pro. Everything works great except Outlook where nothing worked. Switched to Windows Live Mail and was able to view & modify all email history back several years. It also pulls in all new emails sent to comcast, gmail and hotmail accounts.
    Last edited by nealr; 2012-12-20 at 10:15.

Thanks
    Well neair, I use Thunderbird but got Windows Mail running in Windows 7. I don't use it much but It's just like Outlook Express.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nealr View Post
    Charles, I went through exactly the same situations as you describe in January 2011. Went from XP to Win 7 home version and no Outlook capability. Loaded MS Office 2000 Pro. Everything works great except Outlook where nothing worked. Switched to Windows Live Mail and was able to view & modify all email history back several years. It also pulls in all new emails sent to comcast, gmail and hotmail accounts.
    I too have 7 AOL, 2 hotmail, 3 time warner, and maybe one or two other @whatever identities. Does WLive Mail allow importing the rules that I had in OE? Does Thunderbird? Also can I keep the seperate email identities seperate? Also does WLMail store the email files as EMLs or as something like DBX files?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CSGalloway View Post
    I think you actually can run OE in Win7 if you install a virtual machine copy of XP woith OE and IE. Remember that OE comes with IE -I think Fred did post

instructions for installing OE in a Win7 machine - just can't find it...
    Unless you really like Outlook Express, or unless you have another reason for having a virtual machine, I wouldn't go through the hassle of a virtual machine.

The reason I consider it a hassle is because you will have to keep up with all your updates in the VM (Windows, anti-virus, etc), as well as in the host copy of Windows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast