3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

CPU upgrade (by Gerrard3)

Hello. I need a hero, please. I have a situation not too much unlike RobbyK. First, HP states that my cpu (Pentium Dual E 2180 @2.00 GHz) can be upgraded to the following:

Intel Core 2 Quad (Y) Q9xxxx
    Intel Core 2 Duo (W) E8xxx
    Intel Core 2 Quad (K) up to Q6600
    Core 2 Duo E6x00 (C) up to E6700
    Core 2 Duo E4x00 (C) up to E4400

I just purchased Cyberlink's Media Suite 10, whose requirements call for this:

Processor
    •Pentium 4 2.2 GHz or AMD Athlon XP 2200+ for DVD quality MPEG-2
    •Pentium 4 2.4 GHz or AMD Athlon XP 2400+ for high quality MPEG-4 and streaming WMV, QuickTime, and Real Video
    •Pentium Core 2 DUO E6400 or Athlon 64 X2 5000+ for AVCHD and MPEG-2 HD (BD burning)

I am looking forward to some AVCHD video editing and avi editing as well. Looks to me like I might be a little bit short on processor power. I also have 3 GB of RAM. If I need to upgrade, ideally I'd like to keep the price within $100 for a boxed version that includes any appropriate fan and heat sink. (Also, does Intel still include a token dab of thermal grease?). Anyway, can you who are in the know please recommend to me what my best option(s) might be for upgrading? Thank you so much!

***Edit note: Just as an example, I noticed that Amazon offers an
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 Dual-Core Processor, 2.6 GHz, 4M L2 Cache, LGA775

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-E6700-Du...=IZ8C3M4X3NVBO

Point is, though not knowing if that's the way to go or not, I see it is possible to keep within the $100. Thanks again!
    Last edited by Gerard3; 2012-11-17 at 15:35. Reason: Supply more info

Thanks
    Go for the quad core every time for video editing, it's the better upgrade, even if it's more than your budget allows for.
    Intel coolers, if your CPU comes with one, will have thermal past already applied.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Gerard3 (2012-11-18)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

E6700 Good - Q8300 Better !

First, let's be clear. The Intel E6700 you saw on Amazon for $98.99 is a solid upgrade from your existing E2180. It should work great in your system and give a real performance boost. Check out this comparison to get an idea of how much (the E6750 shown is about 3% faster than E6700, a minor difference) :

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/68?vs=60

Please note in the measurements that some are "Higher is better" while in others "Lower is Better".

Now, a quad-core of around the same cpu speed (about 2.6GHz) will give a significantly greater performance boost which you can see here:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/68?vs=89

However, there are some drawbacks to the quad-core. First, a Q8300 costs about $135 instead of $99. Second, to get the full benefit of that quad-core with video editing you need much more RAM memory than the 3GB you already have - at least 6GB total and, if your version of Windows is "32-bit", it will not allow you to use that. If you have a "64-bit" version of Windows then you can use 6GB or even more. Anyway, adding extra RAM memory means extra cost on top of the $135 price of the quad-core chip.

So, the E6700 looks like a good compromise that fits your budget. And you will like the results !

If you want the bigger performance boost of a quad-core then unleash your wallet for the extra cost of the cpu and 6GB or 8GB of DDR2 type RAM (not DDR3 !).

Final point: Don't upgrade beyond this because then your computer's power supply will have to work too hard. At that point you may as well sell the computer and start afresh !

5. The Following User Says Thank You to starvinmarvin For This Useful Post:

Gerard3 (2012-11-18)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You need a good strong video card for decent scrub speeds, even if you let Cyberlink Video build an index video file; which helps but sucks for applying effects because you really can't see how appropriate the effect will be for the finished product. You really need a half gig of dedicated video memory also or you might not even get an image in the scrub window.

Of course you want all the processing power you can throw at a video render once its started, it can cut minutes...hours...even days off a high def render; but overall it takes a lot more "budget" to have a good experience with any hi-def video editing and rendering.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

Gerard3 (2012-11-18)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks a million, Friends, Heroes!

If I may please follow up, I am on a 32-bit completely updated Vista (SP2). And I sure did appreciate the significant differences in those bar graph comparisons.

For the sake of it, I also spied this Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40GHz Processor on Amazon for about $120. I wish these places would specify the letter designations, in this case (K) to avoid uncertainty. I discovered it's supposed to mean the multiplier is unlocked, to the delight of overclockers. Anyway, here it is:
    http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Core-Q66...=IPUQYAO72FT4Y

I gather it is not a boxed version. In light of this, I really do not want to buy more RAM, graphics card, etc., as desireable as I would luv. Can I ask for your further input on this matter. Also, if I got the unboxed quad, would I necessarily have to get a new fan/heat sink, or is it ill advised to use my current one. Wish I could do better, but my budget is really limited at this point. I can be reasonably patient about rendering times, but that sure does sound disparaging about the effects application. Thanks again!

***Another edit note-- If I understand correctly, the Q8300 does not seem to be an option to me, going by the HP specs. Oh, and my graphics is an onboard Intel GMA 3100. Cyberlink calls for requirements:
    VGA
    •Higher than Intel 945 GM
    •64 MB-VRAM or above
    Some animation effects may be turned off or degraded for lower end graphics systems

I have no idea how my VGA compares with those specs. However, my HP spec sheet admits to "•Also supports PCI Express x16 graphics cards* I wonder if I could magically come up with the funds if any of these MSI cards would work for me? (Years ago, I got to liking MSI). I've just gotten so ignorant in so short a time.
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_2?...&rnid=15784691

Ooops... and in particular, perhaps this one?
    http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GeForce-Ex...o+cards+for+pc
    Last edited by Gerard3; 2012-11-18 at 13:51. Reason: supply more info

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just one more quick thing please..., it just came to my mind that I have an old Antec TruePower 430W power supply in my old Windows XP computer (about a dozen years old). Would that be useable?

Follow up: I tried researching the matter, and discovered that's a no go. Moreover, as the PSU is the "heart" of the system, it's a rather complicated thing to choose. I have this impression I cannot do much of anything than a minor processor upgrade without getting that new "heart." Right when I was just getting excited about this GeForce 610 graphics card--

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GeForce-PC...I1BDQE3W3MSURQ
    Last edited by Gerard3; 2012-11-18 at 23:56. Reason: just searching for clarity