Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Do I need to purchase extra cables?

Hi to all,
    I just ordered a DELL XPS 8500-3158 computer that is scheduled to be delivered on Tuesday. When it arrives I want to install both a second DVD drive (LG GH24 DVD rewritter ) and a second hard drive (Seagate 1TB Serial ATA HD) plus my Hauppauge WinTV DCR 2650 Cable Card before I even turn it on.

I downloaded the XPS 8500 Owners Manual from DELL’s site but didn’t find much information about Data cables and Power cables when installing additional items, and there was only skimpy instructions in the box with the unit.

With both the DVD Drive and the Seagate Hard Drive I did not receive any additional cables with the units. I realize that I need both a Power cable and a Data cable for each of the new drives in order for them to work.

My question is: Is there normally extra Power and Data cables already inside the computer case or am I expected to purchase them on my own?

I am a complete novice at this so is there any gotcha’s or things I should look out for or should I just take the new computer to a Computer repair facility and have them install the units?
    Respectfully, Graphics Guy

Thanks
    G.G.,

There are usually extra power connections, however, they may not be of the right type, e.g. they could be 4 pin Molex connectors when you need the new SATA power connector. You can purchase short adapters to solve this problem. You can also purchase splitter cables which will make two connectors out of one.

As for data cables extras are usually NOT supplied. I've used Dell Computers for years and have always had to purchase extra data cables, especially since SATA became the standard since it is one data cable per drive unlike the old PATA drives where you could put 2 drives on one cable.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

Graphics Guy (2012-11-13)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi RG,
    Thank you for the speedy response.
    Since this is a brand new computer wouldn’t you expect the power connections to be the new SATA?
    If I go to Best Buy and pick up 2 SATA Power splitter cables and 2 SATA Data cables wouldn’t that be all I would need? Is there normally additonal Data fittings available on the mother board or would I need splitters for that also?
    Last edited by Graphics Guy; 2012-11-11 at 15:28. Reason: Additional information.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd wait until the new box arrives, then open it up and take a look at what you need. Are you in such a rush that you can't run to Best Buy after it arrives?

Note that data cables come in different lengths, and for aesthetic reasons you may want to determine the best length first. Too short and it won't reach; too long and you have a lot of excess cable flapping around. Also, data cables come with straight or 90-degree angled connectors, and the angled type come in left-90 or right-90. I'd wait until it arrives then match what's already in there.

BTW, I never get the data cables with the locking latches. I've never had a problem with the plain connectors, and the latching type are a PITA when you want to disconnect things.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dg1261 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    G.G.

DG's advice is sound. I'd also wait and see what's available and how long the runs for the data cables will be. Yes there should be additional SATA, according to this, connections on the MB although some times Dell can be skimpy on connectors but you're buying an XPS which is Dell's higher end model so I don't think you'll have a problem.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Power Cables: Many power supplies will have these cables at the ready, unless your specific model is modular (unlikely).
    You can check by simply opening up the case and looking.
    If you purchase a computer brand that does have a modular PSU then the computer maker has to supply the rest of the power cables.
    It will be far more likely that your computers PSU will not be modular.
    Data Cables: Most hard drives (purchased on their own) will not come with a SATA cable and therefor you will need to get this independently.
    A DVD will usually come with it's own data cable & default to the PSU for the power cable.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-11-11 at 20:52.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi to all,

Thank you for the replies.
    My problem is other than exchanging RAM modules I have never installed or replaced anything else in a computer. In the past I have always paid someone like Best Buy to install additional equipment in the case. Since I want to have both a second HD and a DVD drive installed in the computer I figured it would be best to have this done before I configure it with printers, scanners and audio equipment. Just opening up the case I am not sure I would know what is available and what is needed to complete my requirements and was hoping to avoid the $80 to $100 + costs that a facility like Best Buy would charge.
    BTW: Both units have Serial ATA connections.

DG: I am really not in any rush. I would like to be able to use my new computer as soon as possible but I am more interested in the items be installed properly.
    My current DELL Inspiron 530 64 bit with Windows 7 takes an extremely long time to power up and the last time took so long and so many tries that I have been afraid to turn it off. (About a month)

Clint: I rechecked the box and there is no Data cable included with the LG GH24 DVD rewriter, just an install disc and 4 mounting screws.

Thanks again to all that took the time to answer. Respectfully, Graphics Guy

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I would make sure you have a space for a second DVD unit. The review I looked at said it had 2 internal bays only.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply.
    I checked the XPS 8500 Spec folder and it mentions space for both two Optical bays and two 3.5 inch SATA hard drives.

Dell - 2-Mod.jpg

Thanks
    My current DELL Inspiron 530 64 bit with Windows 7 takes an extremely long time to power up and the last time took so long and so many tries that I have been afraid to turn it off. (About a month)
    This would make for a nice clean install project. The keyword here is plan.

I figured it would be best to have this done before I configure it with printers, scanners and audio equipment. Just opening up the case I am not sure I would know what is available and what is needed to complete my requirements and was hoping to avoid the $80 to $100 + costs that a facility like Best Buy would charge.
    It will make no difference and have no bearing on anything whether a printer, scanner, or audio equipment is present.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Clint,
    <This would make for a nice clean install project. The keyword here is plan.>
    Not knowing how to do a clean install I don’t want to take a chance of screwing up the old computer before I get the new one on line. Once the new one is up and operating then I will try and find out how to repair the current Windows 7 system.
    I don't even know where to begin.

<It will make no difference and have no bearing on anything whether a printer, scanner, or audio equipment is present.>
    Forgive me for my not expressing myself correctly. I only mean it makes more sense to me to get all of the new hardware
    installed when I first get the computer rather than after it is installed in place and I have to remove all of the cables and connections in order to open up the case to install the items. Also I will have more working room if it is not hooked up.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Personally, I'd turn it on first and make sure everything is in working order before installing new equipment. Hate to install some new equipment, then find it's not working the first time you've turned it on - makes it hard to say where the problem lies.

There will likely be a "1st time" setup procedure when you first fire up your new PC.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi BigMac,

You make a good point. It probably will be prudent to insure that a brand new computer right out of the box is working properly. It could create problems if I had to return it for any reason.

<There will likely be a "1st time" setup procedure when you first fire up your new PC.>

Normally for this this "1st time" setup procedure can I just plug in the power cable and nothing else, e.g.... modem/router, printers, turntable, scanner, etc.. or is this where all peripheral equipment get assigned drive letters?
    My point being - I have so many pieces of hardware that will eventually be installed or attached to my primary computer I would have to disconnect everything from the present DELL computer, replace it with the new one, and hook up all of the cables before I initially turned it on? Then if it is working properly, reverse the process so I have a computer available while I shop for cables and install the new additions.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Normally the first time setup is when it asks for a username, what language settings to use, checks for an internet connection and possibly a couple of other things. After that you may want to install all the updates and remove any junk software that may have come with the system.
    I prefer to get the system working, then connect things one at a time and ensure they install correctly.
    For the internal stuff, I'd likely install the DVD and hard drive at the same time and install the Hauppauge separately.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to BigMac56 For This Useful Post:

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by carter2 View Post
    No its not recquire
    Whats not required?
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast