Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft Security Essentials scanning incredibly slow

I've had Microsoft Security Essentials performing a full scan on my computer now, and it's been going for 39 hours. Yet it only completed about 10%. The only programs I have been using the last days have been the browser, spotify and skype. My hard drive keeps automatically filling up to its max capacity, probably because of some virus, which is around 913 gb. (I've used a lot of other antivirus programs and they've found nothing, save for Webroot. It found two viruses and removed them. Slowly but surely more space become available at my hard drive, but now it's getting full again.) Is there any way to speed up the scan?

/Suff

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Download and run Treesize to see which files are taking up the most space on your hard disk.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    (Reply to jwitalka) I've used a program which I believe is similar, ie it locates files and sees their size: RidNacs. The problem is, the visible files only show that 643 gb is used. There are folders which deny access to me, System Volume Information, Documents and Settings, PerfLogs, Program and Recovery. According to a guide which I followed in which the writer had the same problem, the folders that took up all of that space were precisely System Volume Information and Documents and Settings. System Volume Information and Documents and Settings are not visible in C:\ even though I have enabled hidden files. When I try to open them from the list in RidNacs, a simple "Access denied" message pops up. I can't run as administrator and I've tried "takeown /f <Documents and Settings /r /d y" in command prompt, but in normal mode it says access denied, and when I open command prompt in administrator mode and write the same thing it says that the file can not be found.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    (Reply to BruceR) Thanks, I'll try that.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Sounds like a job for Windows Defender Offline:

The primary benefit of using this tool is that it runs before malware, such as rootkits, can hide. When you perform a post-event malware scan and remediation by running the scan on a system infected with advanced low-level malware, the malware has a chance to run first. The malware itself may be intercepting the antimalware software’s attempts to inspect, take actions, or communicate to the user. When you run an “offline” tool like Windows Defender Offline, you’re bringing your own known-good, clean operating environment with you along with the scanner. You are booting the computer from that clean operating environment, and then running the scanner and inspecting the potentially compromised hard disk’s operating system, programs and data. As such, there’s integrity in the system during the “offline” scan. Malware that’s deeply rooted in the operating system won’t have the opportunity to run and hide before the scanner starts. The malware exists on the disk where it can be found and mitigated but is not actually running, so it’s inhibited from being able to intercept and interfere with the scanner’s activities.
    Microsoft’s Free Security Tools – Windows Defender Offline

Bruce

(I reposted to make sure you'd seen it, as your first reply was about the same time.)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

Suffragium (2012-11-12)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hmm, I've encountered a small problem with Windows Defender Offline. I've successfully installed it on a USB and all, but when I restart the computer nothing happens. Any idea of how I might solve this problem? I replugged the USB after the installation was complete.
    Last edited by Suffragium; 2012-11-12 at 14:50.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You may need to change BIOS boot order to USB first: How do I start my PC from a CD, DVD, or USB flash drive?

Brucde

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

Suffragium (2012-11-13)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks once again. That worked, it completed a full search on the computer over night. One problem persists though, and that is: While removing the viruses, it gets to about 75% then stops completely. I've tried to search through the FAQ but I found nothing about that. Any idea what the problem might be?

Thanks
    Reboot into Safe Mode (or perhaps Safe Mode with Networking), and run your virus scan from there.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried uninstalling/installing MSE?

Thanks
    Try downloading and running Malwarebytes It's possible you picked up some malware that MSE can't deal with.

I would run it in safe mode.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tips everyone, I'll try everything out and report back here when done.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've got the computer to safe mode, but all I see is a black screen with "Safe mode" in every corner of the screen. I can't do anything, let alone start Microsoft Security Essentials. I've tried to start safe mode with command prompt enabled and tried writing "Run Microsoft Security Essentials", I've also used ctrl+alt+del to try to open it, but nothing works. Long story short: I can't do anything in safe mode.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Alright, I found the problem. With the help of AVG Disk Space Explorer, I found out what is taking so much space - AVG itself. For some reason it creates weird "dump" files (format .dmp) in SysWOW64. It all makes sense now, the hard drive's space started to shrink after I tried to uninstall AVG multiple times but failed.

Thanks
    Try the Avg remover tool from here:
    http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities

Download the one that matches your installation (32 bit or 64 bit)

Jerry
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2012-11-16 at 08:56.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

Suffragium (2012-11-16)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast