Lounger
    Thanks

Total size of folders

I'm trying to put my pictures on CD's because of the room they take on my desktop. However, when I open My Pictures, at the bottom of the open window it gives me the number of pictures in the file, and the size of each picture is listed with the picture name. Is there a way to highlight multible photo's and view the total bytes for the highlighted photo. That would tell me what I'll need to use for storage. I have looked and looked and am so frustrated, so I've come to the experts.

Thanks for being there, Twinkie

Thanks
    Contol Click each picture file to select the ones you want to save. Right click on any one of the selection and click on properties. The properties window will give you the total size of the selection.
    Most CD burning apps will tell you the space used as you add files.

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    When I make DVD backups of the Pictures folder I use the Clickfree DVD transformer. Its designed to automatically backup all your computer's data to DVDs but you can specify just certain folders, like the Pictures folder only and it will back them up to DVD or CD I think, all you have to do is have the next DVD or CD ready to switch out when its full, the transformer will do all the correct sizing and burning.

That way you don't have to figure out anything, just keep feeding it DVDs or CDs until it finishes.

If you are doing this to be able to delete the photos from your hard drive on the computer, make sure you have at least two copies elsewhere, don't rely on a single DVD or CD copy because home burned DVDs deteriorate over time and that could make the data unreadable after a couple of years.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Twinkie,

Get a copy of the free Get Folder Size. I use this utility all the time it works great.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Lounger
    Thanks
    What great answers I recieved! Thanks to all of you. I have really learned some new things today.

Twinkie

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Treesize Free is fantastic for spotting that missing disk space.

cheers, Paul