New Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2010 Bullets disappear from styles

I have created several templates for a client, in Word 2010, each with a series of styles that use multi-level bullets/numbers. From time to time, without any consistent trigger that I can identify, the bullets and numbers disappear from the styles.

When I create styles for multi-level bullets or numbers, I use the "Define New Multi-level List" dialog to set the number or bullet, set indents, and link each bullet or number level to a style.

When the numbers and bullets disappear, they disappear from all the numbered and bulleted styles in the template, but all the correct indent settings are retained. It has happened in several of the templates, but not at the same time.

I've searched online for a solution and have found nothing. The only advice I've found related to disappearing bullets or numbers is to uncheck the "Update Styles" option in the Attach Template dialog, but that isn't the problem here because a) I always have that unchecked, and b) they are disappearing from the template itself.

I have been an advanced Word user since the very first version, and I'm usually the one people come to with their Word problems, but this one has me stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If the list attributes are disappearing from the template then perhaps you should write protect it to stop people changing it.

I always use a macro to set up each outline list. This is easy to record once you have have set up the list the way you want it - just turn on macro recording and visit the Define New Multi-level List dialog once you have set up the list the way you want it.

Once you have the macro, you can run it anytime the list corrupts.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestions. In the environment where these templates are being used it is extremely unlikely that the problem is a result of users altering them, but I may write protect them just in case. I like the macro suggestion - that will be very helpful if the problem persists.