New Lounger
    Thanks

Network Disconnects

Once every two or three days, my browser and email reader suddenly can't connect to the internet.
    No error message shows up to indicate this happening. I just suddenly can't update the data in either one.
    Attempts to disable/enable network connection, or to repair the connection don't work.

At the same time, my other computer, a laptop running Win7 is still connected through the same router, with no such issues.

Any idea where to start looking for the cause?

Dave S.
    Last edited by DaveSchell; 2012-11-12 at 19:03.

Thanks
    For starters, make sure your network card has the latest driver. Also, look in the event viewer for any relevant entries.
    Are you using the Router's Domain Name Server or did you set one on your PC?

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know if there is a newer driver for this card or not.
    I have been using it for several years, and only experienced this problem in the last month or so.

I am not using Domain Name.

Dave S.

Thanks
    The next time it hangs, try opening a command window and type the following to see if you can get to Google.com while bypassing DNS:
    ping 74.125.225.208

Let me know if it times out or you get a valid response. A valid response will point to a DNS issue.
    I would still check for an updated driver by going to the network card's manufacturer's web site.
    Also, if you are using a software firewall, disable it and your Anti Virus program temporarily to make sure they aren't interfering.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Jerry. I saw your input in the networking section after I had started this thread.

So since I first posted, I've gone to the Realtek site, downloaded and installed the latest driver, dated 2009.

I'm just using Windows firewall, with MSE as my anti-virus program.

I will try your suggestions of ping and ipconfig the next time my connection fails.

Dave S.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, this morning when I tried email and browsing, they couldn't update.
    I ran the ipconfig, nslookup, and ping, and they all worked well, giving the same result as when the internet is working.
    I use Mozilla Thunderbird and Firefox as my internet programs.
    I realized (when I had rebooted and it was too late) that I should have tried Chrome and IE to see if they were affected.

Dave S.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It's been 6 days now since I had the last connection problem.
    During that time there has been a windows update applied.
    Could this have been the cause and the fix?

Dave S.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I spoke too soon. This morning when I used the computer, the internet was not available again.
    This time I tried IE and Chrome, and they had the same problem as Firefox.
    What are the chances that a new ethernet card would fix this?

Dave S.

Thanks
    If you have another ethernet card available, you could always install it and try it. If it works, what I would then do would be to run Windows Update and check for optional (hardware) updates. If there is an update for your built-in ethernet card, download it and install it. Then shut down, and remove the new ethernet card. Then power up and try the built-in ethernet card.

That has worked for me many times, when I had no clue which driver to install for the built-in ethernet card.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2012-11-26 at 11:19.

Thanks
    It's always possible that a Windows update caused your built-in ethernet card to fail. If you know when the failure occurred, then you could check the install dates of your installed Windows updates, to know which Windows update to uninstall, to see if that fixes it.

If that does fix the problem, make sure you note which was the offending Windows update. Then scan for new updates, and hide that one, so that you don't inadvertently install it in the future.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2012-11-26 at 11:20.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't currently have a spare ethernet card, but I may buy one if that's what it takes to make this go away.

I checked the optional windows updates, and there were no optional hardware updates - I installed most of the optional software updates.

Dave S.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveSchell View Post
    I don't currently have a spare ethernet card, but I may buy one if that's what it takes to make this go away.

I checked the optional windows updates, and there were no optional hardware updates - I installed most of the optional software updates.

Dave S.
    Ethernet cards are cheap. Here's a 100 mb card for $8 from officedepot.com: http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...CI-10100-Mbps/

Here's a 1gb card for $15: http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...-101001000-32/

Here's a USB ethernet card for $20: http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...ack-USB-20-to/

Sometimes it could make a difference if you buy the same brand of NIC as your router, so as to minimize compatibility issues. But I would start with one of these cheap cards, so you don't spend much money. Most NICS will work just fine in all circumstances.

The nice thing about buying from Office Depot is that they'll take it back without complaint if you decide that you don't want it.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2012-11-26 at 12:27.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yeah, I'm in Canada, and Office Depot in Canada went broke a couple of years ago.

We do have a local store http://www.memoryexpress.com/Categor...earch=ethernet
    that sells ethernet adapters at as little as $9.95.
    I'm more likely to spring for a gigabit adapter (so I can move photos from my laptop faster) for $30.

Dave S.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I think I found the cause of my connection problems.
    Dashlane was set to sync, but there are no devices that I need to sync.
    Occasionally the attempted sync would lock up the Internet access.
    Killing Dashlane then allows connections to work again.
    I have fixed it (fingers crossed) by disabling the sync functions.

Dave S.