Star Lounger
    Thanks

Replacing a faultyWindows 7 o/s with new Windows 8

My Windows 7 Home Premium is starting to be faulty in different ways. Instead of doing a clean re-install of Win7- can i just do the Windows 8 install and become "clean"? this would surely save lots of time.

any thoughts?

thanks

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you're going to back up all your user files and do a clean install I'd say go for it. If you want to run an upgrade, I'd make sure to do a full backup that you can restore from in case of problems.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BigMac56 For This Useful Post:

StephenwjC (2012-11-14)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It probably depends on in which ways the Win7 install is becoming faulty, a clean install of either is going to take about the same amount of time. If the upgrade adviser gives you the go ahead, the programs and settings will be preserved but if the problems were with some of the programs or user account settings/corruption, those may carry forward. If the problems are more Win 7 related, like updates that went bad or a registry cleaner was used and that munged it a bit, stuff like that probably would be "cleaned" up by a Win 8 upgrade in place.

Overall evidence is pretty strong that the best option is always a clean install without trying to upgrade from an older OS, but as the previous post states, you can try it and see, then fall back on the clean install option, deciding on Win 8 for other reasons than hope that its a shortcut to cure all that ails.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

StephenwjC (2012-11-14)

Thanks
    The Upgrade install is quite dependent on the underlying OS and how good or bad it's running. I have to agree with FUN, the Custom (Clean) install would be best in your case. At $40 for the Upgrade download media for Win 8 Pro the price is right.

As you go through the purchase and download when you get to the install Win 8 screen, choose the Install by creating Media option. This will allow you to create a bootable Win 8 DVD or Flash Drive. Boot to this media, Choose Custom Install. On the next screen you can actually format the original OS by choosing Advanced (Disk) Options. Once formatted, in Win 8 Pro on a clean HD and get a pristine OS.

Once you have Win 8 Pro installed, your apps installed, and everything customized to your liking, create your first Image of Win 8 Pro.

Check out the sticky threads in this Forum for some very good info to assist with this new OS.

14.jpg
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    If there's a sure-fire way of getting out of doing a bit of work, I'd like to hear about it too.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    I would love that as well, but if the OP reads through the problem threads here, and in a couple of the Win 8 specific forums, he will start to see a pattern develop. The majority of the strange problems have occurred after the Upgrade Install, whereas for the most part, the Custom install has been much more trouble free. Take the time to do the work. You will be happier.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It would be wise to run CHKDSK /R before installing win 8. Many times the problem with windows is a failing hard drive. You could also run the hardware diagnostics including the extended hard drive test if you have that available from your computer maker. It would be in the Boot Menu that you access by tapping F12 as soon as you reboot. Don't wait for any screen. Start tapping immediately after rebooting. No use updating windows on a bad hard drive.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Physical Therapy Axiom Applies Here

No Pain - no gain!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenwjC View Post
    My Windows 7 Home Premium is starting to be faulty in different ways. Instead of doing a clean re-install of Win7- can i just do the Windows 8 install and become "clean"? this would surely save lots of time.

any thoughts?

thanks
    The best time saving effort would have been to create a drive image of your operating system when
    it was in a "healthy and good working state".

On another note;
    Windows 8 takes far less time to clean install than Windows 7 does. If you can stomach a new operating system
    this would be a good way to go. But you are never going to get away from the problem you are facing now unless
    you start to get control of the concept of backup and restore.

Just remember that no OS repair or refresh will ever restore all of your installed programs 100% of the time.
    In many instances it is those very programs that lead to OS instability, and preserving a corrupt or just plain bad
    program is far from an ideal form of backup.

The only way to achieve this would be with an image made of a healthy computer in good working order...
    And a means to restore it when you are faced with a computer that will no longer boot up.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

StephenwjC (2012-11-14)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the input. i did have disk image and it was good. i did not update it as often- due to excessive traveling.

i just may do that way- that is... restore and reinstall the other installation programs. it may be the best way. i had forgotten that method. some thing to reconsider. i have to see how recent my restore is.

i also was considering Fred Langa's method of reinstalling. i used it once- most successfully- worked like a charm. however the 2nd time was unsuccessful.

Thanks everyone.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    i ended up restoring my backup image. and spent time renewing/updating the information. i was going to do a clean install but i forgot how to do it... i could have googled it but i just wanted to get this over and done with - so i decided to use the image program.

once that is done and backup is good- then i may try windows 8.

the primary reasons to try windows 8 is - there are two/three? problems of which i have to use 1/2? workarounds and maybe by installing i will not longer need to use these workarounds. i hate workarounds cause it means "something is wrong" and also cannot do something basically important.