2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Chaos from printer install

Since installing a new HP Officejet 6500 Wireless on my Vista machine, I can no longer print jpegs or scans. My fax set up page comes up instead of print options eventhough the fax is not set up. The only additional HP software installed is Solution Center.

At the same time, CC cleaner has begun to hang on c:\windows\system32\wbe...WMITracing.log.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the printer five times. Same issues. I don't not have the wireless enabled, but the USB is used. I needed to use System restore twice, from Safe Mode, as it didn't work as it should.

I have grown frustrated. No help on the HP site or the CC Cleaner site. THANKS for your help in advance.
    Brother Patrick, Hermit
    The Hermitage at Harmony Hill
    Post Office Box Three
    Gamaliel Arkansas 72537

Administrator
    Thanks
    Did you eventually get System Restore to work?
    Is everything uninstalled now?
    Do you have an image backup of the system you could restore?
    Are you sure you have the most current drivers for the printer?

When installing a USB device usually you should start the software install. During that process the software installer will normally request that you plug-in the USB device. Normally, that works well. Is this the procedure you used?

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

BrPatrick (2012-11-13)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe,

The printer is installed, works for everything other than printing scans and jpegs just fine. The System Restore worked successfully when run from Safe Mode. Perhaps it was my Norton 360 that caused it to fail, I don't know. The install checked HP and Windows update several times, so I think the latest drivers were installed. I plugged in the cable when the software told me to. I am unaware of whether I have an image backup of the system, though the os seems to be okay, albeit a bit slow.

Thanks much. P
    Brother Patrick, Hermit
    Post Office Box Three
    Gamaliel Arkansas 72537

Administrator
    Thanks
    How big are the Jpegs and scans? Does the printer have enough memory in it?

Do you get any error messages?

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe,

The pix and scans are normal - like a Google Earth full page and the scans are generally of text and some are converted to pdf. There are no error messages - the print job fails . . . precisely when the fax form pops up. It is maddening. The fax has not been set up as I have no need for it. I suspect I am doing the same wrong thing over and over to fix it . . . sure hope you can give me some direction. I can't even figure out how to convert the pdf to word so it will print. Oh well . . . Thanks again for your help and kindness. P
    Brother Patrick, Hermit
    Post Office Box Three
    Gamaliel Arkansas 72537

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    MICROSOFT'S FIX IT CENTER BETA TROUBLESHOOTING SOFTWARE

December 15, 2012. - In 2010, Microsoft made available beta (test) troubleshooting software called Fix It Center that works on Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7. You can download it as a file and then install it, or use the Run option (to install it directly) that presents itself after you click on the Try it now button on the download webpage provided below.

In Windows XP, you are provided with five troubleshooting options, but there are many more troubleshooting options with Windows Vista and Windows 7. You are provided with an option to create an online Fix It Center account that puts you in touch with Microsoft's support personnel for additional help. The following webpage provides the download or direct installation option plus information on the new software. -

http://fixitcenter.support.microsoft.com/

The troubleshooters available for your version of Windows are installed, such as CD/DVD Reading & Writing, which you would run if you have a problem with your PC's optical drive, Printer Troubleshooter, Windows Firewall Troubleshooter, etc. If you can't link a problem to a particular troubleshooter, just run all of them one at a time from top to bottom.

For example, Windows Vista is prone to getting its file associations mixed up, which means that the wrong program gets associated with a type of file, such as a web browser being associated with .jpg image files instead of an image viewer. If, say, in Vista Windows Media Center opens on startup or pops up all the time, even though any boxes in the Startup and Windows Behavior settings have been disabled, you can apply the following Fix it remedy directly or run the appropriate Fix It troubleshooter, which is this case is the File & Folder Troubleshooter.

When you run an .exe file on a Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7-based computer, the file may start a different program - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950505/en-us

If the Fix It troubleshooter fails to fix a problem, you can often find a third-party tool that might fix it. In this case, the problem has to do with the programs that Windows has associated its file types with, so I tried a web search using the search query *file association fix* and found the free File Association Fixer 1.0 from http://majorgeeks.com/File_Association_Fixer_d6366.html.

Visit http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/PC-Pr...-Solutions.htm if you have a desktop or laptop PC problem that the Fix It center can't fix.