Thread: IE10 Preview

Star Lounger
    Thanks

IE10 Preview for Windows 7

I just downloaded the IE10 preview from the Internet Explorer Web Page. It seems quite fast. I am having problems with typing this I.E I hit enter and it wont go down to the next line nor will it let me use the compatibility mode. I used IE9 32 bit to down load it. it installed the 32 bit version but not the 64 bit. interesting. I wonder how you can get the 64 bit?
    Last edited by bwc; 2012-11-13 at 17:09.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just FYI
    I hit compatibility mode before I started typing and it works fine now.
    Pages seem to load super fast and in just a quick run thru the sites I visit most I haven't seen any problems.
    I was under the impression it was supposed to have a built in spell checker. if so I cant find it.
    Barry

Thanks
    IE 10 so far does require Compatibility Mode as many web sites cannot yet render properly. If you use the gear icon, F12 developer tools, you can set Compatibility mode here. This should hold for other web sites as well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am confused on what flavor of IE10 was downloaded. I have WIN7 64 and one article I read said that it would download the same version as your operating system.
    On Microsoft's download center it appears that you can download ether version but both show the same version number and reference the same KB article.
    If anyone knows how to tell the difference please let me know.
    thanks
    Barry

Thanks
    Use the Gear Icon and choose About Internet Explorer. This should show you the version of IE 10. I believe IE 10 does indeed install which ever "bitness" to match your OS.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That's the problem. it doesn't.
    It shows version 10.0.9200.16438 and references KB2718695. No bitness.
    I know in IE9 this would indicate 32 bit but I don't know if its the same in IE10.
    I assume you use the 64 bit IE10 in WIN 8. I have read that they are totally different browsers but just out of curiosity what dose yours indicate?
    Barry

Thanks
    Check Task Manager for details.

Mine says it's x64 and x86 ... 2x processes from each running for my home page only, ~176MB Working set, ~1650 Handles, can't see the kitchen sink anywhere though.

Thanks
    Sort of off topic, but not, since it is IE 10 I'm talking about: I had/have a Verisign certificate in both Firefox and IE 9. The install for IE 10 brought it over, but now it asks me for the confirmation every time I go to the site. It should have just asked once, yes? Is there some setting [beyond waiting for the final release!] that I am supposed to set or switch to get the certificate "verified"?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bwc View Post
    That's the problem. it doesn't.
    It shows version 10.0.9200.16438 and references KB2718695. No bitness.
    I know in IE9 this would indicate 32 bit but I don't know if its the same in IE10.
    I assume you use the 64 bit IE10 in WIN 8. I have read that they are totally different browsers but just out of curiosity what dose yours indicate?
    Barry
    @Barry, I believe that's the point. My OS is Win 8 Pro 64 Bit. When I open About Internet Explorer this is what I get:

AboutIE10.jpg

In Task Manager I also show just one version of IE 10. There are no longer 2 versions in the Programs folder.

Mine shows a slightly lower version 16384. I assume in Win 8 there was a change that was not necessary since there are no updates available. I did all my patch Tuesday updates yesterday and there are no new updates this morning.

This article states same. An excerpt:

Additional security features in the Windows 7 version of the browser include services like SmartScreen and download protection. "If you're on a 64-bit operating system, you get a 64-bit browser, which comes with some protections natively," said IE group program manager Rob Mauceri.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-11-14 at 05:52.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

bwc (2012-11-14)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    In a 64-bit install there are two version of IE. A 64-bit version is in C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer. The 32-bit version is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer. The "About" screen does not differentiate between the two. The 64-bit version is slightly larger on disk that the 32-bit version.

@bwc - if you download and install the 64-bit version it you'll get both the 64-bit & 32-bit versions. Note that the 32-bit download is 22.2 MB. The 64-bit download is 42.7 MB because it contains both versions.

Joe

Thanks
    Ok so evidently both are installed (I do see IE in both Program Files folders), but the "bitness" of the OS dictates which is the default browser.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Not true at least for Windows 7 unless there has been a big change. For Win7, 32-bit IE is the default regardless of the bitness of the OS.

Joe

Thanks
    I could well be missing a piece here, but...

If I d/l IE 10, and install it [which I have done], it installs both the 32 and 64 bit browsers [one in Program Files and one in Program Files (x86). That part I get.

But when I run them, and look at the "About", they appear to be the same. Am I missing something here? How / where do I tell the difference?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks
    I do not find any difference (indication of a difference) in About IE when I click on the IE .exe file directly from the Program Files (x86), IE (x86) and the IE .exe file from the Program Files, IE (x64). They both look identical, so at this point I am unsure whether the x86 or the x64 IE is the default browser in Win 8 (x64) OS.

From articles I have read, for IE 10, the default in Win 8 is the same "bitness" as the OS. I have no way of proving this. I also have no way to prove or disprove this same thing in Win 7.

I have submitted a question about this in the MS Answers forum.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-11-15 at 06:17.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Glad to see I was not losing my mind. I looked everywhere on my computer and searched the web and the only thing I could find was the article ted referred to about it downloading the same version as your operating system.
    On my system it shows two process running
    iexplore.exe using about 10K of memory and iexplore.exe*32 using about 67K of memory. I assume this was what Satrow was referring to.
    I don't know if this means both are running at the same time and which on is the default.
    Barry